Uh... Noobie with a Tree Tutorial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman

WOW! That's some good old Yankee ingenuity, to be sure.

Since you asked for suggestions on preserving the wood, I would recommend a polyurethane finish - the kind that is used to coat furniture after the stain has been applied. You can find it at any hardware store.

The advantage to making trees out of real twigs is that they LOOK real.

I applaud your dedication to the hobby. Can we see pics of the trees in your layout when they are done?

doctorwayne

I agree: great tutorial and great looking trees. Gary, why don't you drop by sometime soon? Bring the family. And your tools. I've got about an eighty square foot area that needs a forest, although, in all honesty, your trees look too good to hide in the middle of the woods. Great job.

Wayne

Gary S.

Is there any possibility at all that maybe, just maybe, I have risen out of the depths of noobie-dom here at The Gauge? Pretty please?

Wayne, I will be in Maine this summer, maybe I will stop by your place on the way.

Zman, I think I will try your suggestion of the polyurethane on my next batch. I will see if they make a flat finish or a satin finish instead of gloss. Also, I am just into the benchwork portion of my layout, so it will be awhile before the trees get planted. But when they do, I'll definitely post pictures.

Drew1125

Great tutorial, Gary! Excellent work on those trees!
:thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:
I wasn't aware that you could get black poly fiber...I've been spay-painting mine black for a few years now...Who makes the black stuff? Is it Woodland Scenics, or another brand?
Thanks for sharing all the great tips! :thumb:

ausien

Gary, noobie-dom, you have sue passed to expert-ville, in the tree line anyway. but you`ll still a probationary, unitll we see pictures of the show though.:D :D :D ..steve:thumb: :thumb:

Gary S.

Drew1125 said:
I wasn't aware that you could get black poly fiber...I've been spay-painting mine black for a few years now...Who makes the black stuff? Is it Woodland Scenics, or another brand?

Here is the website for one source of black poly-fiber. My LHS sells "Sunlit" brand. One package costs $2.99 and will do approximately 70 HO scale trees. The website sells 6 packages for 15 bucks or thereabouts.mb

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/sunlit/bramble.htm

I think Woodland Scenics only makes the green stuff. If I talk to the WS guys at the show tomorrow, I will tell them that the black looks better.

Gary S.

ausien said:
Gary, noobie-dom, you have sue passed to expert-ville, in the tree line anyway. but you`ll still a probationary, unitll we see pictures of the show though.:D :D :D ..steve:thumb: :thumb:

Darn. I can't get anything past you. Yeah, yeah, the camera battery is charged.

NCMRailroad

Thanks a bunch...

Thank you for replying to my "Tree" issue. The illustrations and instructions you provided are of great detail and therefore offers a solution to my problem on how to create deciduous trees by scratch. Gonna giv'er a shot... Thanks again!:thumb: :thumb: :)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
This thread was moved to The Academy 09 Nov 2006. Some posts may have been edited for clarity.

The thread is now locked. If you have any questions about the information presented here, please post them in General Talk with a link to this thread.

Andrew
'The Academy' Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.