U.S.S. Enterprise studio model visit

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Thank you both for your sentiments.

I can't help but wonder, if these producers and directors, would find getting a meal delivered, different from what they had ordered, to be satisfying? They would likely be irritated by getting a burger when they had ordered steak, but feel justified to produce video games when they are advertising Star Trek.

Good entertainment should reflect detail and thought. It is not necessary that entertainment be equated with escapism.

More pics tomorrow....

Reactions: Cybergrinder

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I agree, but good entertainment ends up giving us escapism, even if unintentional, as the good story and visuals make you forget about everything else. That is a good form of escapism. Wanking while your world is falling apart around you is the bad form of escapism. I bet these guys would get pissed at the gopher who screwed up their lunch, even if it was the place out order's fault.

I'm surprised Gene Roddenberry couldn't (didn't) take that model home with him. I would have had that in my contract!! ;)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I agree, but good entertainment ends up giving us escapism, even if unintentional, as the good story and visuals make you forget about everything else. That is a good form of escapism. Wanking while your world is falling apart around you is the bad form of escapism. I bet these guys would get pissed at the gopher who screwed up their lunch, even if it was the place out order's fault.

I'm surprised Gene Roddenberry couldn't (didn't) take that model home with him. I would have had that in my contract!! ;)

Well, he did scavenge a lot after the third season, but the 11 foot model cost the studio almost 7K, a lot for a TV show back then, and weighed a few hundred pounds when crated.

Slipping it away, like what happened to the Roman Bird of Prey, wold have been a challenge...

I do agree that a little escapism is good but I perceive that too much of our entertainment is escapism and not enough devised to prote thinking and reasoning...which, if we did more of, the world might not be "falling apart around you."

But I admit that I am in the minority...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Can't argue with the last part of your statement, the first part, I bet Gene Roddenberry could have purchased it it from the studio. I'm sure he had the cash, maybe not, who knows? So much of movie making these days is re-imagining of old movies. How many Batman remakes were there, and Spiderman? Star Wars is being twisted dry like a damp sponge. Look what happened to Star Trek: Discovery, pay to view, yeah, right. ;)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Yea, In 1960'd dollars it would have been quite a personal investment.

With todays's perspective its hard to remember that in 1969, Trek was a failed TV show. After a dozen movies (of admittedly varying quality recently) 6 TV series (of again varying quality), its hard to recall the disappointment he experienced after only two years direct and one year partial involvement of the show.

It could easily be argued that Trek heralded the age of intelligent, popular scyfy for the public, and even if recent years neglect that aspiration, the workmanship and thought that went into this model exemplify what could be done today with the show.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
What Zathros says bout originality is very true. The Star Wars sequels had so much potential look at the EU, (sorry Disney, "Legends"), even Trek reboot could have done something different.

Look at the music as well, how many "artists" are just sampling riffs & covering the classics?

Gene was a visionary, and like most visionaries most people don't get it. I did feel that the original was a bit idealistic, the DS9 arc where the Federations "secret service" was reveal was nice.

I always though B5 was a more accurate depiction of humanity in the future. (we still have our sh!t, but deal with it better. Mostly...)

Reactions: subnuke and zathros

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Gene was a visionary said:
I have heard that critique before. I agree with Next Gen. but the original actually had a lot of conflict, even between the main characters, and those characters also made mistakes. Even some of the "victories" are questioned at the end of some episodes (Who Morns for Adonis, Man Trap, Charlie X).

I agree about the unique aspect of DS9 in the more "progressive" Trek series of the period.

I always thought that Trek was best when the characters weren't idealized but when those characters were aspiring to ideals, even when they failed in the attempt (A Private Little War, The Apple, or Errand of Mercy), or affected deeply by seeking to maintain those ideals (All Our Yesterdays, Whom Gods Destroy, or City on the Edge of Forever). In the original series, the chapters were not always right or effective and sometimes humbled or harshly affected by the experiences they soldiered through.

Popular culture often portrays a cartoonish image of those three seasons, but re-watching illustrates the storytelling to be very sophisticated, especially for a period when Lost in Space and I dream of Jennie were staples.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Here's a couple more that I could salvage, despite the weak camera that I had at the time:

The first is an inboard of the nacelle that shows the forward intercooler assembly:

Notice how the fore section of the intercooler attaches to the engine housing. The different shading is also remarkable.

The second pic is of the central underside of the model; an angle hard to reach and light properly. The decorations are clearly decade, not etched.

The third image was a close up of the underside of the secondary hull, just behind the previous pic (#2). The photo shows the after bay; a white rectangle, framed with a dark gray line. This detailing appears to have been decaled.

I'll sort the few left for anything useful...

Attachments

• inboard intercooler.JPG
    inboard intercooler.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • underside.JPG
    underside.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • Underside aft.JPG
    Underside aft.JPG
    947.3 KB · Views: 7

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Ironic, that after our conversations regarding the unusual nature of the original series, an article was recently published concerning the way it was received in the 60s:

http://heroesandiconstv.com/lists/5-original-star-trek-episodes-that-were-banned-overseas

The show was a lot more provocative than we often remember and sometimes when we watch it now, our views are screwed by recent commentary of comedians and opinionates. From an objective POV, it really pushed the limits of the period and was more risky than the most recent incarnations.

The old series didn't tell you how to think; it encouraged thinking...

Enjoy~

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
... And stigmatised red shirts! ;)

Good point!

There was an article recently written by someone who took the time to actually tally up the mortality rate in the series and he revealed that "red shirts" actually didn't die as much as characters wearing other division uniforms.

But now that the phrase is a cultural trope, we're trained to perceive it as true.

But aren't we a thinking species, who are prone to social trend or fads, in our existing modern age?

I'll post some more images tonight for you. I am almost out.

I wish I could get to Seattle to photo the TMP Enterprise for you?

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Be careful, you wrote "I Dream of Jeannie", and you know what happened in that thread!! :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Okay, here's a few more pics. The remaining images are of lesser quality but might have details to share that make up for there poor lens work.

The first is a close up of the forward underside of the secondary hull, near the deflector housing. Note where the sand holds up the 11 ft. long model. Just near it is the forward marking "102".

There next is a close up of where the interconnecting dorsal meets the underside the primary hull. Despite the poor image, I included it to share some modeling details: the considerable darker color of the impulse engines, the rounded fit of the connection at the edge of the dorsal-primary hull joining, and in the background, how the pre-stage field shaping coils (under assemblies) the particle vents on the nacelle, behind where the bussard collector.

The third is a close upon the red primary hull markings that illustrates hoe defined, dark and large this red decal is, as well as the the subtle white line that recedes back into the hull. It is almost invisible from a casual glance.

The fourth is the underside chevron, which I am uncertain as yo its purpose. I read some early notes that this was a hatch that covered landing legs and cargo-materials access, but also in a Jefferies diagram that its the sensor/subspace antenna assembly. Whats interesting from the pic is that the base is a pronounced, elevated ridge, not just a decal or flat marking.

The last tonight is the lower sensor array, alternately labeled interplanetary sensor and secondary sensor assembly. This image clearly shows the pronounced pod at the center of the dome and the projection from the front of this. I have not seen this in any of the sketches or blueprints and would welcome any identification of the item; it is not on Jeffries prints or design notes. Also clear in the image is the dome is fixed in a series of two concentric ring housings that are embedded in a larger housing that is mated to the lower primary hull. Many model kits do not convey these two reducing ring details. The housing also has three parallel struts that appear in triangular pattern, if looking from below upward.

Also interesting from this pic is the yellow bay door assembly between the two rows of two windows. The yellow-tan lines above the hatches are of note, as well as the more subtle, light gray line below.

Okay, I'll sort out what few I have left for another posting in a day or two.

Attachments

• stand and 102 marking.JPG
    stand and 102 marking.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • underside of impulse manifold.JPG
    underside of impulse manifold.JPG
    974.6 KB · Views: 7
  • primary hull marking.JPG
    primary hull marking.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • primary hull chevron.JPG
    primary hull chevron.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • lower sensor array.JPG
    lower sensor array.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Glad the effort is useful to someone. I was wondering if someone building one of those big 400 scale models might find these useful. I know I will use them to detail a kit that big.

Here's three more, though the quality of the last is admittedly weak. Getting close-ups with the low lighting and my cheap camera was a real challenge.

The first image is another closeup of the sensor, subspace antenna, with the pronounced ridge. Contrasting the dark ridge base is the decal-marking texture of the gray marking extending from the base, as well as the yellow-tan rounded markings about the lower primary hull section. The semi-circular, curved red stripe length after of the primary hull quarter is barely visible.

The second image is a close up of the primary hull at close range. Note the tan rings again, a bit sharper than the previous effort. This pic also details the rectangular windows that can be lit (note that they are not completely evenly cut!).
The sensor dome is clear, as are the two concentric ridges the house the sensor dome, based in a wider sensor dome housing. The bracing ridge in the front of the housing more clearly than in previous images I posted (there are two more located at the back of this housing).
Another detail is that there are two access bays between the tan lines and another between the rectangle windows. The odd protrusion from the lower sensor dome can be seen head on, red at the tip.
Also interesting is the very subtle deflector grid, barely perceptible on the hull skin, but definitely present.
This pic illustrates a lot of detail.

The last pic here is the forward, primary hull rim, the tip of the bow. The three clear space energy sensors are visible in position, not in the center of the hull rim, but slightly off-set the center and lower on the hull.

Well, I'll try hunting anything else left worth sharing. Hope the pics and observations will help out some builder or designer...

Attachments

• lower saucer ridge.JPG
    lower saucer ridge.JPG
    943.3 KB · Views: 5
  • lower saucer forward.JPG
    lower saucer forward.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • space energy sensors rim.JPG
    space energy sensors rim.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I wish I could get to the TMP model for you guys. I'd plan it & go with a better camera.

I remember when I first saw it and the TMP D-7 how incredibly detailed they were. Those were expensive models but the studio got their ones worth!

Your observation of the constancy between the two versions is a good one. There was great care to respect he continuity and logic of the design across the fictional evolution.

Reactions: spaceagent-9