U.S.S. Columbia - NCC-621

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Hello all. This is my finished model of the U.S.S. Columbia scout ship. I made this using parts from Makino's Enterprise. I repainted the registries in Adobe Illustrator.

Columbia, along with U.S.S. Revere, was mentioned near the beginning of Star Trek: TMP. They are described as scout ships on patrol near station Epsilon 9. These ships are also listed in the Starfleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph. This is what I believe her refit configuration would be.

Attachments

• 100_3184.JPG
    100_3184.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3186.JPG
    100_3186.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3187.JPG
    100_3187.JPG
    484.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_3188.JPG
    100_3188.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_3190.JPG
    100_3190.JPG
    447.9 KB · Views: 1,080

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This looks FANTASTIC!!!
You did a GREAT JOB on this project!
Are you going to make a template kit for it?

Maverick65

Looks great. Love the simplicity of the design & wished they would get some air time. But alas only briefly mentioned. Thanks for sharing.

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Thanks @Rhaven Blaack : I can put one together. I kind of Franken-built this so some parts I made just by cutting things freehand. It'd take a little work. I'll post something if I can get Makino's permission. Got your reply on PM about that so I'll give it a try when I can.

@Revell-Fan : The scale is around 1:1300 scale so it's in scale with my other Trek models (mostly Rawen models printed at 90% to fit on 8.5"x11" card). It's right around 20cm long. To get that scale I print Makino's parts at 76%. The nice thing is Makino's model is vector art so you could scale it to any size, you'd just have to figure out how to hold it together.

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
I mistakenly thought I'd posted pics of my Revere model. So, I'm adding them here for comparison. No real difference in the models except I mounted the dorsal a little farther back on the engine. Revere was actually built before Columbia.

Wouldn't it have been cool to see these two at the start of ST:TMP in some form? Even if it was just a far-off shot.

Attachments

• 100_3201.JPG
    100_3201.JPG
    866.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_3212.JPG
    100_3212.JPG
    969.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_3217.JPG
    100_3217.JPG
    761.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_3218.JPG
    100_3218.JPG
    685 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_3221.JPG
    100_3221.JPG
    854.8 KB · Views: 11

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
This one looks just as FANTASTIC as the Columbia!
It would be GREAT to see an entire series of ships from the ST:TMP era.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I agree with maverick65, these kind of scouts should be in some fan movies or even in the next nu-star trek movie. they look efficient and very star trekkish. they remind me of some kind of stripped down version special mission orientated ship. very cool. great job.

spaceagent-9

uh oh.....you got me thinking!! I think that star fleet would really have a need for these scout in that era, patrol, emergency response and supply, the stuff you don't pull a full sized starship off its route for...so I re-imagined this. I hope you like it or can modify the idea into something you like. a green tractor in back for tugging. nav deflector over the nacelle in front. over sized impulse engine, and sensors and forward torpedo launders top and bottom center saucer.oFederation_USS_Monoceros_Scout.gif

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
@spaceagent-9 This render looks REALLY GOOD!
I would like to see this built. I think that it would make for a GREAT model.
It is a rather interesting concept. With the added Photon Torpedo launchers, it looks more like a destroyer than a scout.

spaceagent-9

my thanks to sidewinder 81777 for letting me bash his kit for this

Last edited:

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Neat idea @spaceagent-9. These are definitely ships that would be in service in large numbers in the Star Trek world. I also agree with @Rhaven Blaack that this bash falls into the Destroyer category due to it's heavy armament. When I think "scout" I think low firepower, high speed and heavy sensors. I want to make some more TMP ships like this down the line.

And, you can see a little of the TOS vesions of these ships in some of the fancier fan films, especially Star Trek: Phase II. They've slipped several ships from the Tech Manual into the background.