U Boat Type VII C

mldixon

May 30, 2006
These are shots of the Conning Tower. I started the build here because it seemed to be the most insteresting and complicated part of the model. The hull is under way and I will post the finished model when complete. I have seen the other threads on this build, and as always stand in awe of the clean builds done by others. I have a long way to go. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 36

mldixon

May 30, 2006
Yes they were soldered wires. The wire was stripped from 18 Gauge bell wire and then soldered and then painted. Yes the rails were a real bear, but the jigs go a long way for making it simple.

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Great start

You're off to an excellent start ML. I hope mine turns out as well when I build it. I'm almost finished my first ship and I know what you mean about being awed by some of the other build threads here, but I've also noticed a big improvement in my work in the time it's taken me to build the darn thing. I practice really does help :mrgreen:.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Steve

mldixon

May 30, 2006
You're off to an excellent start ML. I hope mine turns out as well when I build it. I'm almost finished my first ship and I know what you mean about being awed by some of the other build threads here, but I've also noticed a big improvement in my work in the time it's taken me to build the darn thing. I practice really does help :mrgreen:.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Steve

Thanks, I find myself building different parts over and over, good thing its paper and ink. But you are correct it gets better as you build. I do this for the challange. Too bad we don't have a museum or something we can send these off to.

cgutzmer

May 30, 2006
Sun Prairie WI
www.ecardmodels.com
We DID have a museum to send these too. I had a deal with the museum of science and industry in chicago to setup up a display of card models. Unfortunately I got only ONE person willing to display their model to millions of people per year :(

I might try a new initiative where I collect models over time then offer to the museum after I get my book underway.
Chris

mldixon

May 30, 2006
Museum

Unbeliveable. I would not hesitate to give the card models to a museum. They are works of art and should be displayed. They are fun to make and I like looking at them, but that only lasts about a month. My friends like to look at them, but I think it is the beer that keeps them coming back. :mrgreen:

MAC99

Dec 10, 2010
West ST Paul Minnesota USA
I just received my files for the u-boat yesterday. It looks as if your off to a good start. Can you tell me what you came up with for the 1 mm stock and the 90 grams. In his build it looks like he used a kind of foam core, but 1 mm is less than 3/32". Maybe if you have built any more you could post more of your great pics. Some very good work done already.

MAC

papastumpy

Dec 20, 2008
Lowell, North Carolina
Well, it is nice to see this ole warrior still being built by others. Like you clean building and look forward to more. I may be posting some progress shots of one I started well over a year ago, I went w/the main frame 1st and am now ready to start covering. Thanks for sharing. :wave: