tunnel portal specs/photos of early 1900's

hephaest

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
does anyone know where i can find photos and dimensions of tunnel portals made of stone/brick around the early 1900's. Especially usefull would be the dimensions and photo of a double (2 lane) tunnel portal
thanks

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi hephaest - there are several sources for this kind of information.

1. For a specific RR, try a book about that RR. You can derive pretty close measurements of the portal by comparing it to other things in the photo that are a known size - for example workers posed around the portal or the train coming thru it.

2. If you're impatient like me do a Google image search - www.Google.com for "tunnel portal" I just tried it and it turned up lots of images. Then.....

3. For required clearances, check the NMRA. This will give you minimum required height and width, which will be a quite accurate guide to sizes. Blasting through rock was expensive, and real RRs didn't make their tunnels any bigger than they had to.

Of course in the early 1900s, rolling stock was a lot smaller than it is now, both in length and height (no massive autoracks back then!) so clearance is definitely related to the era.

4. Buy a model portal and use it for dimension.

Hope this helps.

Val

hephaest

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
thanks val
Il try the google route first
maybe i will go to an online store and look for dimensions of the portals they have for sale :)

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
hephaest said:
thanks val
Il try the google route first
maybe i will go to an online store and look for dimensions of the portals they have for sale :)
I doubt if the info you need would be posted. Try going to a "real" store with a ruler in you pocket (or just buy one - they can't be that much).

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Val - for photos, try going here. You will have to reg. with them but you find that have something like a total of 75,000 photos of trains and a lot are in tunnels. you can do a search for the time period that you want. Last night I copied and saved over 250 steam engines and a lot were in and comming out of portals.
http://www.railpictures.net/