Trying my hand at design

ASC Mclaren

The title is an outright lie, to be honest. I have an evaluation version of Rhino (Catia is too damn expensive, Draftsight is 2D, I have an eval copy of Sketchup; but Zathros vehemently endorses Rhino). At work I play in Catia, but I can't take it home. So, I have some ideas for models, twisted, dark models. This weekend I hacked my way through some rendering. I'm quite sure that I've blundered something. nevertheless, below is the fruit of my labor. Now to figure out unfolding. :crash:

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 15

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
So the designing bug bit you? Congratulations! There is nothing I know that is more satisfying that seeing a project that you first conceive in your head and be able to design, build, and hold it in your hands!

Myself, I don't use any dedicated 3D modeling software. I have an older copy of AutoCAD and have a good background in drafting. I use traditional sheet metal layout techniques to develop the flat pattern. The model you show about is a perfect candidate for this type of pattern development due to it's boxy shape. If you have access to 2D software (or you can always draw it out on a sheet of paper) then it should be reletively easy to draw the various views to develop the pattern.

Good luck, please let us know how you're getting along with this.

Best Regards,

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
CONGRATULATIONS on your first design project. I will be following it closely.
I wish you all the luck with it!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, a medieval lathe! :mrgreen:

Great modeling so far! I'm looking forward to the build! Well done! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Rogerio Silva

Although the purpose of the "thing" is dark, modeling is a great step! Congrats on going from mind to screen, and I hope you'll do the transition from screen to paper very soon.