To be somewhat Enterprising....

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
A tutorial, with a list of the online circuit makers would be most interesting. I seriously would consider to start using copper traces in your models, and solder the short wires of the copper trace main bus lines. The series-parallel circuits you could make, hidden on of switches, would be limited only by your imagination. You use epoxy to glue the copper traces to the paper and conductive epoxy to glue the wire to the traces, then solder the wires to the LED to the LEDs. :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Guess I'm doing the thread then ;) @zathros , I have a but if a financial constraint at the moment so I am cannibalising old PC (USB, printer) cables so I don't know if will be able to do the tracers, but switches definitely are an option!

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Guess I'm doing the thread then ;) @zathros , I have a but if a financial constraint at the moment so I am cannibalising old PC (USB, printer) cables so I don't know if will be able to do the tracers, but switches definitely are an option!
Thin computer ribbon wire connected to LEDs works well.
Also, guitar strings make excellent supports for where you cut the paper supports for LED wiring pathways.
Great Work you got going on!

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
OH, neat ideas. I bought a reel of magnet wire (lacquer insulated stuff) for wiring LEDs in buildings. Then of course, I immediately found a solenoid coil I had saved for the same thing. Sigh. And, I have a roll of copper tape made for edging stained glass pieces (another hobby) that would be easy to split and form concealed wiring.
What fun!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013

I used to make traces by stripping lampshade cord, and pressing it flat, then gluing it to paper, or whatever it was I was building. The glue insulated it, and I left the ends open to solder onto. For heavier traces, I used pieces of telephone wire I'd mooch off of company trucks (much harder to do these days) but you can make some heavy duty traces that way. A metal dowel will flatten them easily. I did this when making projects in electronics school, hiding some traces under paint, and the other students could never figure out the simple test boxes I made worked. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Oh! Maybe if you dilute the colour and apply several thin layers?

There is a special paint called "Tauchlack" in Germany. You dip the LED into the colour and let superfluous colour drop off. Due to the special nature of the colour you'll end up with a thin layer of paint without visible brush strokes. The paint is available in opaque and transparent versions.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Oh! Maybe if you dilute the colour and apply several thin layers?

There is a special paint called "Tauchlack" in Germany. You dip the LED into the colour and let superfluous colour drop off. Due to the special nature of the colour you'll end up with a thin layer of paint without visible brush strokes. The paint is available in opaque and transparent versions.
Sounds like a paint I'd like to get my hands on.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
The new TEAL Christmas tree lights are a light pool water shade of blue, instead of electric blue as the standard. Also to get the effects discussed here, I have found that just going to the dollar tree and finding the color you want in a clear plastic piece, then using a white LED works too.