Tips tools tricks...

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
:cool: hey all
Just joined, in awe of all the work on here. Ive been a model maker for 30+ years of numerous themes but only recently got (more seriously) into papercraft/card modelling. So - for those of us that are relatively newer to this, whats your best tips, tools, tricks or hacks when it comes to card crafting? Ive made some card kits, mainly fantasy stuff (tabletop gaming related) but nothing too involved as yet. I have the basics, knife, metal ruler, markers, pva glue etc but is there anything else that you find invaluable (aside from patience and sanity)
cheers for now
Az

Reactions: micahrogers

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
It depends on the model that you are making. I work a lot with spheres and rounded shapes so my tools are adjust to that. I will post a image of my setup.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
This is a very good question. Most of the same tools that you would use for plastic (and resin) models can be used for paper/cardstock model building as well (i.e. cutting board, hobby knife, sanding paper, tweezers, hemostats, and other such). However, I would strongly suggest a good inkjet printer (Laserjet prints are not good for printing templates. The ink will flake off when you manipulate the parts). You will need something to score the fold lines (I have an old (very dull) scalpel (that has the blade integrated into the handle, making it a solid piece.). Yes, you can use other things like a butter knife or old dried out ballpoint pen. I use watercolour paints for the edges. You will want several different sized dowels for shaping tubes (I like to use metal knitting needles).
With that being said, just keep your eyes open and look at different tools to see how you could use them to help you with your models.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
My answer is to that question, whatever works. ;)

jeffrey b

Dec 2, 2021
Two more items that are not physical per say but patience and practice. To go along with Rhaven Blaack's dowels a set of small drill bits to also use for rolling small tubes.

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
so heres 2 more questions lol - are there specific tools for rolling tubes/rings of different sizes or is it a case of delve through the drawers till you find something that works - and question 2 - what are the best glues to use? Im currently working with standard pva atm
Thanks for all the answers so far guys

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Question one (rolling tubes):
Like I had mentioned earlier, get different sized knitting needles. You can also use drill bits or wooden dowels as well.

Question two (what is the best glue to use):
Any standard PVA glue is good. When I was in Eastern Europe, I used Hekules brand glue and it worked perfectly for me. Here in the US, I now use Aleen's Tacky glue. With that being said, I will also use CA (super) glue for very small parts or parts that have a very small connection area.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Basic starting tools, as said earlier, are hobby knife and an assortment of new blades, ( the paper dulls them rather quickly ) steel rulers of different sizes, ( I keep a 6"-15cm, and a 12"-30cm ) tweezers of different sizes and shapes, clamps of some sort, ( I use hemostats of different sizes ) large and small scissors, glue, ( I use Aleen's Tacky, and Quick Grab, and CA ) and watercolors. I add acrylic paints, and alcohol markers.