Three Years in remission from Pancreatic Cancer

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
SO, as many of you may know, three years ago, I had pancreatic cancer. It is official. I am now three years in remission!
To celebrate, I made this small (about 1:48 scale) model of a MK-I colonial viper with purple markings (I repainted it in MS PAINT), to show that I am winning this fight as well as to honour those (especially Richard Hatch) who have passed away from this type of cancer.
For those of you who are interested in this viper. It is the one from https://siriusreplicas.com.

Cancer (of any kind) is not something to mess with. It should never be taken lightly. You should always talk to your doctor and be honest with him/her about any aches or pains or other symptoms that you are unfamiliar with, or if after any kind of surgery, you have pain in areas not related to the surgery area, have it checked out.
Case in point, how I found out that I had pancreatic cancer, tow weeks after I had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my knee, my fiance Christine and I were joking and laughing, I went to take in a deep breath, and experienced a side-stitch. Christine asked me what was wrong, I told her that I had a simple side-stitch, and that it was no big deal. She responded that I could have a blood clot, and that we need to have it checked out. So, we went to the hospital, had blood tests done and the test show positive for blood clots. The doctor ordered a CT-scan to see where the clots were. Come to find out that there were no clots. However, I had a 9 cm mass on my pancreas. It was determined that I had stage 1 pancreatic cancer. A couple of months later, I went in for surgery. The mass had grown to 12 cm. Not only that, but there was a mass on my liver as well, that the doctor removed.

Just to let you know, there are two types of pancreatic cancer.
The first one, is where the tumor grows on the inside of the pancreas. This type is terminal. Not only that, but it is also the most common.
The second one, is where the tumor grows on the outside of the pancreas. If it is caught in stage 1 or 2, surgery can cure it and there is a 95% success rate. However, only 1 in 10 survive, because it is A-symptomatic (meaning no symptoms). Not only that but this type is extremely rare. Out of every 100,000 cases, only one gets this type of cancer.
With that being said, I am a very lucky person in getting the type that forms on the outside of the pancreas and having Christine insisting that I go into the hospital to have that "side-stitch checked out.

20190624_211057.jpg 20190624_211119.jpg 20190624_211137.jpg 20190624_211313.jpg 20190624_211336.jpg 20190624_211339.jpg 20190624_211357.jpg 20190624_211424.jpg 20190624_211452.jpg 20190624_211513.jpg

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello my friend,

I am glad to hear that everything is OK with you after three years. You were extremely lucky when you saw the doctor - albeit it was for the wrong reason.

Richard Hatch (Apollo / Zarek) died of pancreatic cancer while he was under hospice care in Los Angeles.

Your explanations are very informative and I hope that they create more attention regarding this topic. Don't be shy to see your doctor if you think something strange is happening with your body. Regular checkups may help, too.

It's great to still have you around, buddy. To many many more years to come! :drinks:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
The past three years has been a bit of a blur for me. It is kind of hard to realize that it has been that long. I do plan on sticking around for a very long time. I have to stick around. Who in the name of the GODS is going to help with designing and building all of the BSG & BRTC25 models that are still in the queue?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Superfantastic! You went to Hell and back, you did it. A wonderful companion to go there with you, I don't write her name out of respect for her privacy, but you have been blessed, as your friendship is a blessing for all that know you. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I do indeed! She spent the entire six months that I spent in the hospital fighting both the cancer and the MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus). The crazy thing is, the MRSA that I had was literally one step below VRSA (Vancomycin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus). There were times where everyone thought that I was done for. I am glad that I made it through.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I'm glad that you area survivor. I am aware of pancreatic cancer being a swift and painful killer. two people in my relatives by marriage have died from it. In recent years after a life of relatively sickness free years, I have gotten sick more than a few times. It's very scary and hard to understand unless you have been in those shoes. So many false cures out there to, to give only dead ends and false hope. Waking up in pain and facing the end is very discouraging, and your bravery and endurance is something to admire. Most people just want to be left alone about it, and being a friend and accepting only their good days is a challenge to someone who is sympathetic. Family and friends turn out to be what is most important, but becoming reclusive due to constant updates and explanations is tiring and embarrassing. I'm glad to hear your good news and your Endurance certainly deserves recognition! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new builds.

Famous Dave

Congratulations. I raise my glass to you and your mate. I am glad to see anyone overcome cancer. I wish you a long and fulfilling life, doing what you love and enjoying it to the fullest every day.

Dave

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Dave,

Thank you very much for the kind words! This forum played a big role in my recovery. During the six month battle, even though, I was not building models at that time, I would still log in and see what all was going on, everyone here cheered me on. Afterwards, when I was released medically, and was able to devote more time to the forum, again, everyone continued to cheer me on.
Once again THANK YOU!!!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
@Gixergs Thank you! It has been a very interesting three years. I have to say that I am a tough old grunt. I will be around for many more!!!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Actually, during the initial six month battle, I was also fighting a severe case of MRSA. The doctors were starting to think that it might become VRSA. My local family and friends were starting to wonder if I was actually going to pull through. Some of the medical staff had already written me off and told my fiance to prepare for my final arrangements. Fortunately for me, my fiance is a retired nurse (with a TON of old school tricks up her tiny sleeve), and was able to pull me through with flying colours.