this might be a silly question

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
:hammerhead:right ive seen some amazing work on here, the detail in your builds is awesome - i dont mind detail at all, but there are a cpl "how to's" that im not sure about.....so here goes:
1) rolling really fine tubes.....rolling (and gluing) really fine tubes made in card - most are not a problem, but you get those fine small detail tubes (for cables/pipes etc) do you guys use the supplied parts or fill in with wire or some other material? If you do choose to use a small supplied part, how the :headbange: do you roll them? needle? cocktail stick? lmao my hands arent that flexible!
2) cutting certain bits....(from the centre of a part (to be removed) larger openings are fine, but should there be a bit (like a tiny window/port) do you use a punch or is there a better type of blade to use?
3) re-enforcing parts: for things like wings or hanging/weighty parts, dyou guys use any specific re-enforcing or is it more per need?
I apologise if i keep pestering with questions but im still getting used to this type of kit building so im just trying to avoid any dumb mistakes lol
cheers for now
Az

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Good questions I hope I can help you with these.

1. For tubrs I use thin pad and a cocktail stick to pre form the tube. Then I use a smaller diameter to get the right shape. The last bit is done with my fingers. I use the normal A4 printing sheet.
2. I use the tip of my knife for small cutouts. If they are to small I dont cutand try to color them instead.
3. Most of my wings are layerd some up to 2 mm thuck. For the bigger constructions I use internall formers from 160 grm paper. This keeps the model from getting heavy.

No problem for us to answer your questions maybe they can help others too.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There are no silly questions, just silly answers.

If you can find a toothpick, or cocktail stick, that is the right size, I just sand them with very fine sandpaper and use them. If there are graphics, I print that piece of very thin paper then glue that over the sanded substrate (piece0. The parts ends up much stronger. I am a strong believer of using unrealized paper (wood) in paper models to make a strong internal bracing so the models don't warp. Whatever it takes! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Please let me preface the face that these are all GREAT questions (none of which are silly in any manner).
To answer your first question: IT really depends upon your needs for the particular model that you are working on.
  • If you need straight pipes/tubes, you can use standard printer paper and roll the tube tighter that way. You can use toothpicks or bamboo skewers, and paint them to match the colour(s) needed.
  • If you need pipes/tubes that bend (or are curved) you can use cardstock (or printer paper) and bend (or curve) to the desired angle. You can also use thin plastic covered wire (or even thin cordage) painted to match the needed part.
To answer your second question: I use a very sharp (brand new) #11 hobby knife.
  • IF I am cutting out shapes that have angles ( i.e. squares, triangles, and other such shapes), I will start with cutting the corners of the shape first, then cut the lines to meet the corners (you get a cleaner outcome).
  • If I am cutting curved shapes (i.e. circles, ovals, and other such shapes), I use small cuts all the way around the shape.
The answer your third question: It really depends upon the type of the reinforcing that is needed.
  • With "wing" like shape objects, I will either use extra cardstock goes inside the "wing" and the mounting area.
  • for areas that have "holes", I will add another layer (or as many layers as I feel is needed and what the space will allow) inside the part to make the part that has the hole.
  • Adding layers to the inside of parts that will hold "weighted" components is also necessary.

Never apologize for asking questions. If you do not ask questions, how will you know what to do? If you do not know something, We want to you ask. That way, we can help you.

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
Please let me preface the face that these are all GREAT questions (none of which are silly in any manner).
To answer your first question: IT really depends upon your needs for the particular model that you are working on.
  • If you need straight pipes/tubes, you can use standard printer paper and roll the tube tighter that way. You can use toothpicks or bamboo skewers, and paint them to match the colour(s) needed.
  • If you need pipes/tubes that bend (or are curved) you can use cardstock (or printer paper) and bend (or curve) to the desired angle. You can also use thin plastic covered wire (or even thin cordage) painted to match the needed part.
To answer your second question: I use a very sharp (brand new) #11 hobby knife.
  • IF I am cutting out shapes that have angles ( i.e. squares, triangles, and other such shapes), I will start with cutting the corners of the shape first, then cut the lines to meet the corners (you get a cleaner outcome).
  • If I am cutting curved shapes (i.e. circles, ovals, and other such shapes), I use small cuts all the way around the shape.
The answer your third question: It really depends upon the type of the reinforcing that is needed.
  • With "wing" like shape objects, I will either use extra cardstock goes inside the "wing" and the mounting area.
  • for areas that have "holes", I will add another layer (or as many layers as I feel is needed and what the space will allow) inside the part to make the part that has the hole.
  • Adding layers to the inside of parts that will hold "weighted" components is also necessary.

Never apologize for asking questions. If you do not ask questions, how will you know what to do? If you do not know something, We want to you ask. That way, we can help you.
im always keen to learn new methods for kit building, and trying out new kit types. so far the papercraft stuff is technical but awesome and anything that helps the end result come together is fantastic