The Gorge is growing

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
layout pics of the gorge

My layout is finally starting to take some shape this weekend I just started to make the gorge. I got the sculptamold on have started painting the base coat. The layout is very lossly based of the area I live in. Starting from left to right is the royal gorge and the arkansas river. Then in the center will be modern Canon City(pronounced canyon, its spanish, supposed to have the ~) the center mountain divides the modern from the old. On the far right is the old fronter town. On the top above the frontier town is a prison, the county i'm in has 14 including the highest security prison in the country. Our lastest big name is musawi. Right of that will be a gold mine. Cripple Creek is just a few miles away!

Attachments

• pana 003.jpg
    pana 003.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,064
  • train n 001.jpg
    train n 001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • train n 002.jpg
    train n 002.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,062
  • train n 003.jpg
    train n 003.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • train n 004.jpg
    train n 004.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,064

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
What a bad day:curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:. For some reson my 2-8-2, my main and only working locomotive for now will not run, I can't get it to do anything,. It goes 8 inces then stops or derails or decouples. Worst of all the smoke box door came of inside one of the tunnels. It can't be the track, I have only been working in a small section and it's not dirty wheels.:confused:

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
10-30-06

Much better day. I soldered jumper wires to several points. And found the smoke box door. Everything is working better. I also cleaned the wheels again. The solderind was alot easyer than I thought.:thumb: The only problem I had was, don't laugh too hard, I got my wires crossed.:eek:ops:tooth1 Anyone with critisism feel free to speak your mind, I can take it.

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
FYI: I'm not at this point yet but I'm told it's essential.

Build a buzzer: a 9 volt battery and a buzzer (Radio Shack has them) connected between the two
buss wires will buzz the instant you start to wire a short into the layout.

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
I still am not sure what I should do in the front right side of the layout. I am thinking an engine house with a couple of sidings kin of like the plan. I was aslo thinking about a quarry yard. Any Ideas of what you thing I should do.

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
Another project is I want to build and install this hanging bridge so I can finish my river here is the real one. Its going in the part of the gorge that is finished in the top photos

Attachments

• hangingbridge.jpg
    hangingbridge.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 764

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
10-19

Finaly got some more progress done. I added more trees, added the back drop, covered up some of the old balast with finer ballast, added some dead grass color flocking on the mountian slopes, added some other shrubery

Attachments

• train n 037.jpg
    train n 037.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 293
  • train n 033.jpg
    train n 033.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 259
  • train n 022.jpg
    train n 022.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 274
  • train n 017.jpg
    train n 017.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 273

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
That is looking sweet!!!:thumb: The backdrop looks great and also ditto on the rocks....It all looks great!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
as far as I know thats the only one. There was literally a war over building the line through the gorge to get to all the silver mining areas between denver&riograde western and santafe. The were multiple lawsuits, the track layers were leapfroging over each other and the crew and track layers carried loaded rifels at all times . So this was the quickest way to lay the track. The were lots of acts of sabatoge, the rolled bolders on top of each other, they even built forts to protect themselves and there tools. The story is really interesting check it out here http://www.royalgorgereservations.com/about.aspx