The GOD folder.Easy access to everything in your computer!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Make a folder on your "Desktop", name it the following, (Copy and Paste works well).

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Name it nothing more, or anything less, press enter, then open the file, you will see a lot of info and quick access to every how to and file on your computer. Great for finding stuff you may have misplaced.

A very useful thing to have. thumbsup

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have been using this for years, and was surprised how many people did not know about it, so I thought I post it. There are 100's of Tech sites that have it. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Its one of those things that frankly Micro$oft should have included in the Desktop. I think people would not have missed the "Start" button so much. It is very useful for finding "Lost" and potentially embarrassing file, especially for those of YOU who are purveyors of the female (p)for(n)m. I, of course, would never do something like that (very often) but was surprised to find such incriminating folders that I had long forgotten about as they were buried so deep, it took me about 20 minutes per folder to delete, to make sure there was nothing there I would regret deleting. Which brings out another point. If you have stuff you don't want people to find easily, I suggest making this folder inside of another folder, it will still work if you do that, and you can maintain some modicum of privacy. Duh huh. :)

kcorbin

Mar 7, 2015
Seattle USA
The "god panel" is nothing more than the control panel. I always have a link to open the control panel right on my desktop, its one of the first things I do when I set up a new computer.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
No, it is not, the "Control Panel". Just look at the difference, The "God Mode" is first, the "Control Panel" is next. Quite different, indeed. The "God Mode' folder gives you access to everything in your computer, and any computer you may have LAN'd to it. The "Control Panels' purpose has nothing to do with this.

If you would have looked at the two folders you would have seen this right off. Make sure when you post something, you take the time to at least LOOK at what you are commenting on. I do not suffer this kind of "off the cuff" attitude easily. I actually despise it. It is a shame to see someone capable of masterful work comment without examining the facts first. I do not mean to be terse, but the pictures explain it all. If you were an A&P, you should know better. It is a small rudder that turns a large ship. Now, I have to watch everything you post.

These two locations in a computer are completely different. I build computers, I have built every one I have owned. APL being the first Code I learned. I fix electronics to component level. I also was a Pilot, I did annuls and replaced engines, wings, under the tutelage of an A&P/ A.I., at that time. Precision was paramount. It is in this forum too. I demand it, to prevent fights or disagreements over minutia. Make sure you know of what you speak, and you will have a great time here. Do otherwise, you won't last long. Remember, this is a private forum.

zathros
adminstrator

GOD MODE

God Folder.jpg

CONTROL PANELControl Panel.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Your welcome Starbuck. This folder option is a good way to find files you may have lost. I have 3 computers in my house LAN'd and I can easily go into the other computers to get any info I need. This is especially useful if my wife is using one of the computers, I don't have to annoy her, (or be annoyed by her!) :)

kcorbin

Mar 7, 2015
Seattle USA
I did look at it. The God folder expands the Control Panel folders. It would of course point to a different place on the the computer as it has its own location.

The nice thing about the control panel is you don't have to scroll down a long list, instead you can go to topic headers and get there a little faster. It is much faster for me to go to the control panel. But I guess that is because I know what I am looking for when I go there. To each his own preference for methods of finding things. But then again the GOD folder has its uses if you don't know exactly what you are looking for at the time. In the long run it does not matter which way someone prefers of accessing the information as they can still get to it with the path they prefer.

By the way, I have taken college level course in building computers, programming, networking, etc. I do IT support now and again but primarily I learned it to support my own private business so I would not have to call in an outside IT firm. I am of an age that I was attending those early PC fairs in the 1970's.

I was a lead aircraft mechanic at Boeing for a number of years. I am trained in CNC machining and writing CAD CAM programs. I am also trained in a wide variety of professional 3D CAD programs. I have also owned my own airplane. I have also been a partner in a architectural illustration firm and I am a professional model maker. But posting resumes in a hobby group is a pretty boring way to prove a point in a friendly hobby group isn't it?

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I've done all that stuff too. I worked at Sikorsky Aircraft, Hubbel Corporation, numerous small shops. Had my own electronics repair shop for 10 years. I preferred Pipers over Cessna's.

I have 4 computers LAN'd in my house, what I like with the "GOD FOLDER" is that you can access the other computers through there rather easily

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have finally decided to Migrate to Windows 10.

I am using the Installation tool and have downloaded onto a thumb drive. That means I could install it from a year from now, as it officially registered. I would encourage members to do this!!

Use the Media Creation Tool!! Get a thumb drive first, they are cheap.

Link = https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

W10.jpg