Tally Ho Chaps!

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
I'm going back in time, to when brave souls took to the skies, to a time when you had to see your enemy, to time of valour, of horror and a time I pray we never see the like of again.

Wow. that went dark quickly....

Before tackling my next big thing (literally, you'll see in due time) I decided to build the RAF fighter that took all the glory, while the Hurricane did all the work :)

Yes, the Supermarine Spitfire Mk I. (I would build the Hurri but can't find a good (free) template :()

Here's a snapshot of the template, 10 pages in total

IMG_20190812_202414[1].jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
The Hurri may have done the lions share for the BoB, but the Spit took on the late model 109's and the Butcher Birds... Love both of 'em

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Another Spit, eh? I'd like to see a Hawker, but as you said, FREE templates aren't to be found. Hawker and Spit, sounds like a bloody coughing match!! I did make the mistake of asking for a "cough drop" when I was in England, circa 1973, I was promptly corrected to request a "throat lozenge". That latter choice being quite right of course! :)

subnuke

Banned
I'm also a big Hurricane fan. Then again, I also love the Thunderbolt. And don't get me started about the Hellcat. I was mesmerized by the Hellcat display at National Air and Space Museum. That thing is nothing but a killer, plain and simple.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
As Sir Winston Churchill said about the UK & USA, "Two countries separated by a common language" :)

Winston also said there were two things that made the Royal Navy great, and that was "Rum and Buggery", maybe he was speaking from a personal experience? (maybe that's an urban legend?) :mooner::sticktongue::smoker::drinksmile:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I'm also a big Hurricane fan. Then again, I also love the Thunderbolt. And don't get me started about the Hellcat. I was mesmerized by the Hellcat display at National Air and Space Museum. That thing is nothing but a killer, plain and simple.
Try to get to the Hellcat display at the Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola Florida, it's on NAS Pensacola, and is one of the few places with an original A6M "Zero"

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The British Navy is still not matched in their seamanship. They are on par with the U.S., better in some areas, we're better in other. Together, forgedaboutit!! (Size not being taken into consideration.) I believe that the Brexit will see a bonding of the U.S. and U.K. that will amaze the world. Together, our relationship will make us so much stronger. Also, the U.K.'s intelligence community, and it's relations with people trace back centuries. Maybe my 2.5 months in England makes me feel very close to the U.K., but I think that facts are facts. We've been through too much together. IMHO. :)

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
The spitfire is a beautiful aeroplane. I'm looking forward to seeing your build.
What are the designation numbers of this model? Is it representing a specific plane?

I may attempt a plane next so I'll be interested to see where the tricky bits are. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Color that seat edge with some kind of color. It looks really good. The former looks good, though, and it's hard to tell from a pic, it may not be symmetric. Draw an outline, fold it, and see if the edges match. You get a much better fuselage that way. :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
So I wasn't happy with the way the seat came out, also when I tried colouring the edge it bled and ruined the effect.

Here's the rebuild, with the "handbrake" ;) and lap belt attached

IMG_20190824_163834.jpg

And now the release for the parachute?

IMG_20190824_163845.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Chalk is good for edges, it doesn't bleed. The seat looks good. :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Thanks for the tip Zathros, I didn't think of using chalk! Felt tip ran/bled, coloured pencil (even watered down) didn't give me the right effect.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Usually felt pens do run. I gave up on them years ago. A good set of painters chalks allows you to make just about any color you want, and they add a neat texture. :)