switch wiring

taylor_up_bnsf

taylor_up_bnsf
Dec 9, 2007
Arizona
I will have over 10 switches in my yard. I am planning on having them hand controlled as switch machines are to expensive for a yard. Now I was planning on using caboose industries hand throws. I have heard of people using nscale throws for HO, is this possible? And would I need to use the throw with contacts. Or can the switch be power routed with regular throws?:cry:

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Re: Switch Throws...

Depends on brand or turnouts you're using. New Shinohara are all- power turnouts. This makes your problem easy, but if you want to isolate tracks you need simple on-off switches to those tracks. I've used HO C.I. hand throws for years. Careful using "N" gage throws, they might not move the required distance to meet tracks.
Allan

platypus1217

Feb 27, 2007
platypus1217.blogspot.com
Caboose Ind. lists the travel for their throws on the website http://www.cabooseind.com/pr1.html . The sprung N scale has .135 inches of travel, you could measure your turnout and see if that was enough.

I use them on my layout and I like them. The ones with contacts are a bit bulky. Power routing turnouts would be a lot easier to set up then wiring up all the contact switches