Suzuki GSX R750 , 1:12

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Looks great so far... those tires don't look like paper anymore...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I own a 1983 GSX 750ES I purchased new in 1983. It was the first bike with a 16" front wheel and anti-dive, and a mono-shock rear suspension sporting a 17" rim. The bike still goes like a bat out of Hell. I really enjoy this bike, one of the best I've ever ridden and owned. Not a beginner bike though. :)

Stock:
1983_Suzuki (2).jpg

With Lowers, very hard to find, I've only seen one set for sale in the U.S.:

GS750ES w Lowers.jpg

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
That is GREAT!.. nice use of GREEBLES ,, suspension details, and that saddle looks perfect!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Very interesting! The working suspension is ingenious. :)

The real bike's suspension is called the "Full Floater Suspension". It is quite ingenious, it is smoothest road following suspension I have ever had the pleasure of having on any make of motorcycle, and I have ridden virtually every brand and most models out there (worked for a motorcycle dealer(s) for years). They could not detail such a thing in a small model, but here's how the real thing looks, these were the first motorcycles to have a hydraulic lock on the forks, so when you hit the front brakes, the nose did not dive down, a life saver.

The top of the shock absorber is mounted to an extension of a small lever, which is behind of the normal pivot point of the main swing arm. Since the length of the lever arm arm is shorter than that of the rest of the main swing arm, the bottom falls away, as the top clamps down harder (faster moment) and the result is a shock absorber that floats. The bolt in the center of the top lever is bolted through the frame, and the holes on the front of the main swing arm are bolted through the frame, thus the shock instead of compressing from one fixed end, is compressing from both ends, and has a rising rate suspension. This gives you an extremely longer range of swing arm travel, with all the benefits, but the same height, as opposed to using a long shock absorber. 5 Main spring settings and air suspension. It has been flawless for 40,000 miles. I purchased my bike new in 1983.

Suzuki Full Floater Suspension:
Suzuki Full Floater.png

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You took a very "plain Jane" model, and showed how to make it really nice. You always do that!! :)