Sugar Cane train in 1920 Haiti

Doctor G

Dock%20Scene%202_zpsdnt8lerp.jpg

I felt the back jungle still needed to be enlarged a bit and another roofline added on. So I did what the locals would do built a lean to over the waste basin using downed tree limbs, old wood and a well used piece of canvas.

First the wooden "super structure" was built up:

DSC07972_zpsf4mcgmt7.jpg

DSC07971_zpsgziga5t2.jpg

Next I scrounged up a well used paint rag and some Elmer's white:

DSC07973_zpsgnlk6dxc.jpg

Then I cut a piece of the rag to represent the canvas roof and soaked it in full strength white glue. I squeezed out the excess and draped it on the wooden frame :

DSC07974_zpsnv2szttx.jpg

DSC07975_zpssym4rsmn.jpg

After the canvas fully dried I weathered it with A/I wash and dry brushed highlights:

DSC07977_zpsvb2t9kwm.jpg

I now had a somewhat enlarged alcohol making facility and that's supposed to be a good thing.

DSC07979_zpsoxeonmfg.jpg

DSC07981_zpseotzyvlj.jpg

DSC07978_zpspyhkrgmt.jpg

Thanks for looking!! Doc Tom:Coffee:

DanBKing

Dan the Man
@Doctor G I see in the second last photo, that the branch line directly past the distillery is gonna soon be closed, due to the expansion of said distillery....:drinksmile::drinksmile::Drinks:.:toast::wacky::singing::hungover::hungover::hungover:

:);):)

Your detail work is stunning! thumbsupthumbsup

Doctor G

I felt the back jungle still needed to be enlarged a bit and another roofline added on. So I did what the locals would do built a lean to over the waste basin using downed tree limbs, old wood and a well used piece of canvas.

First the wooden "super structure" was built up:

DSC07972_zpsf4mcgmt7.jpg

DSC07971_zpsgziga5t2.jpg

Next I scrounged up a well used paint rag and some Elmer's white:

DSC07973_zpsgnlk6dxc.jpg

Then I cut a piece of the rag to represent the canvas roof and soaked it in full strength white glue. I squeezed out the excess and draped it on the wooden frame :

DSC07974_zpsnv2szttx.jpg

DSC07975_zpssym4rsmn.jpg

After the canvas fully dried I weathered it with A/I wash and dry brushed highlights:

DSC07977_zpsvb2t9kwm.jpg

I now had a somewhat enlarged alcohol making facility and that's supposed to be a good thing.

DSC07979_zpsoxeonmfg.jpg

DSC07981_zpseotzyvlj.jpg

DSC07978_zpspyhkrgmt.jpg

Thanks for looking!! Doc Tom:Coffee:
Thanks Dan. There is good clearance on the spur to the engine house. However all the trains like to stop here for a tasting of fermented sugar juice. This is a cause of considerable bottlenecks. Tom

Doctor G

Banana trees are everywhere in Haiti. They provide much needed extra cash for the subsistence farmers working in the countryside.

Haiti%20loading%20banana%20plants%202_zpscokmsbls.jpg

They are grown in any place that has nothing else growing and at times on very steep slopes.

Bannana_zpskzfrrzme.jpg

Banana-tree-at-Hotel-Montana-PAP-Haiti-Aug-20113_zpsblovkglu.jpg

50909682-haitian-man-carries-a-banana-tree-following-gettyimages_zpsequwv7pi.jpg

I wanted some banana trees for the Leogoane rural section of the mini layout. I found this interesting Pegasus plastic kit in 1:48 on the internet.

DSC07969_zpsokcjtcbi.jpg

DSC07970_zpsd1t6nuvc.jpg

Each little tree was built up from 4 plastic parts.

I painted them with spray paints and planted a grove of trees on the steep slope of the spur heading to the cane fields on the layout.

DSC07983_zpsdo0getwa.jpg

DSC07989_zpsdeehyjuh.jpg

DSC07987_zpsvnnxrsw5.jpg

DSC07984_zpsyqvgmex3.jpg

DSC07985_zpsifrjxf7g.jpg

The trees were a lot of fun to research, build,and plant on the layout. Hopefully it adds a little more authenticity to the Haitian sugar hauler in the 1920's.

Doc Tom

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Banana trees are everywhere in Haiti. They provide much needed extra cash for the subsistence farmers working in the countryside.

Haiti%20loading%20banana%20plants%202_zpscokmsbls.jpg

They are grown in any place that has nothing else growing and at times on very steep slopes.

Bannana_zpskzfrrzme.jpg

Banana-tree-at-Hotel-Montana-PAP-Haiti-Aug-20113_zpsblovkglu.jpg

Nice Job Doctor!

50909682-haitian-man-carries-a-banana-tree-following-gettyimages_zpsequwv7pi.jpg

I wanted some banana trees for the Leogoane rural section of the mini layout. I found this interesting Pegasus plastic kit in 1:48 on the internet.

DSC07969_zpsokcjtcbi.jpg

DSC07970_zpsd1t6nuvc.jpg

Each little tree was built up from 4 plastic parts.

I painted them with spray paints and planted a grove of trees on the steep slope of the spur heading to the cane fields on the layout.

DSC07983_zpsdo0getwa.jpg

DSC07989_zpsdeehyjuh.jpg

DSC07987_zpsvnnxrsw5.jpg

DSC07984_zpsyqvgmex3.jpg

DSC07985_zpsifrjxf7g.jpg

The trees were a lot of fun to research, build,and plant on the layout. Hopefully it adds a little more authenticity to the Haitian sugar hauler in the 1920's.

Doc Tom

Doctor G

It has been a busy work week but I was able to get a little more done on the On30 Haitian sugar hauler.

I went ahead and planted about 20 trees and jungle plants on the mountain above Leogane on the "rural side" of the mini layout.

DSC08067_zpsszm7s1hm.jpg

DSC08066_zpsujwmoyny.jpg

Also started construction of the sugar cane press that will provide the juice for fermentation at the Rhum distillation operation.

DSC08068_zpshcvitc1j.jpg

While I had the camera out I grabbed a few shots of the open air engine house on a hot Haitian day.

DSC08069_zpsmtih5dyn.jpg

DSC08070_zpsi7xlrve3.jpg

Thank you for looking. Doc Tom

Doctor G

Thanks for the compliments guys. Here is a little more of the story and a question.

To continue with the build of the Rhum Distillery in the very rural section of my mini Haitian layout I scoured the Internet looking for a suitable cane press prototype to model. This layout is set in 1920 Haiti and electricity was non-existent in the rural countryside. It is still that way today for the most part.A small operation like the one I am modeling could have used a small gasoline engine to power the press but again not likely. They were imported and rarely sent to the hinterland. Besides gasoline in the Haitian mountains was usually not heard of in the 1920's. So that left human and animal power.

I found this hand powered cane press on the net and thought I would give it a try.

Cane%20Press_zpsd60alpyd.jpg

Here is my take using plastic bits, wooden dowel pieces and parts from the junk box.

DSC08074_zpsbovijzug.jpg

I did up the wheels for the hand cranks in the Haitian national colors of red and blue like the prototype. If you look closely you can see the shiny handholds from thousands of hours of hand labor turning this beast.

DSC08075_zpshxz6ekvf.jpg

DSC08076_zpslokcpyqv.jpg

DSC08077_zpsfsye4wwc.jpg

Next I need some laborers cranking the press. I have not purchased 1:48 figures in quite a while (wrapped up in a now defunct Garden RR X5 years). Where do you all like to get figures?? Any chance you know of manufacturers making African or African-American figures?? Thanks for all help and leads.

Doc Tom
glasses_125.gif

Doctor G

This is the prototype cane press I was trying to model on the mini layout.

200995203855_%20sugar%20press_zpszqxbfyyh.jpg

A signature part of this press is the falling down shade canopy. I went ahead and built one of these over the cane press to protect the workers from the tropical sun.

IMG_0756_zpsglmsgkzk.jpg

The workers are pooped from hand cranking that press for hours. They would love some rest except that blasted train with the shrill whistle will not allow a nap.

IMG_0757_zpsvze6slns.jpg

IMG_0752_zpsrk0ujkbo.jpg

IMG_0759_zps4s8gnyb0.jpg

IMG_0758_zpseuhozdsw.jpg

I think the Leogane Rhum Distillery is about complete except for piles of fresh cut sugar cane placed at the press.

Will next move down the line a little to build up structures in the village and planting the sugar cane.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom
icon_smile_big.gif

Bill Nelson

Looks really good! glad you made such good use of the beams from that traveling crane shed I wasn't going to use. I was very tempted to save it for future use, but I could tell you wanted it right now!! looks real good.

PS those banana trees add a lot of character!!

Doctor G

Thanks Bill. Thanks also for the donation of the structural iron that went in to the construction of the Rhum distillery.

Been fooling around with Kit's new iPhone. Here is some "eye candy" shot with that iPhone:

IMG_0476_zpsevvepc5g.jpg

All those megapixels in that little phone really work well IMHO. This is a new "replacement" Porter I got from B.mann recently for an older model with conked out engine. It has been through weathering and paint and has a load of pressed sugar cane for fuel. Tom

Doctor G

Some more Little People from Arttista made it to Haiti and hired on with the little sugar train.

IMG_0480_zpssvobb5qs.jpg

They were immediately put to work firing the new Porter and loading the bunker with pressed cane used as fuel.

IMG_0481_zpsvvp4ceot.jpg

IMG_0482_zpssq0vzyjp.jpg

Soon the locomotive will move a cut of cane cars to the fields to harvest more of the sweet produce of sugar cane.

Doc Tom

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Doc,

Great work. I just caught myself up on Bill's layout and it's great to see progress here as well.

Doctor G

My mini layout depicts a 1920 sugar hauler in Haiti. So I thought it time to plant some sugar cane plants on the layout. Here are some new growth plants just outside Leogoane.

IMG_0503_zpsmay2ob0u.jpg

IMG_0502_zpswh1oeipn.jpg

IMG_0504_zpsgdvzlp1q.jpg

When fully grown the sugar hauler will be there to help with the harvest.

IMG_0507_zpsd1w1scjr.jpg

IMG_0506_zpsjlsexrsa.jpg

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Doctor G

I have started on my first ever On30 "movie" of "Ti Neg La" (kreyol 'the Little Guy') that will be in You Tube theaters soon. Here are a few stills from the flick that I thought I would share.

IMG_0524_zpse0dfqjvk.jpg

They are scenes from the little sugar hauler working the streets of 1920 Port au Prince Haiti.

IMG_0523_zpsg6hnlugf.jpg

Here you can see some of the 3D Flats I constructed to nestle in to the hillside on this small mini layout.

IMG_0526_zpspaimejdq.jpg

Thanks for looking, input and advice.

Doc Tom