styrene for rivet overlay

N

nachoman

has anyone used thin styrene for rivet overlays? I have used both thick paper and brass with success, but now I am considering styrene for my latest project. I've got some 0.020" thick sheets that are way too thick - my guess is that 0.005" would do the trick. Unfortunately, the LHS doesn't have what I need. Does anyone know of a source of source of such thin styrene, preferably from a common product container that gets tossed every day?

thanks
kevin

CalFlash

I believe Evergreen makes it in packages. I've used it before. You must be very careful when laminating it to the base stock so the solvent dosen't disolve the material or deform your rivits.

N

nachoman

sounds like I should use a brass overlay secured with CA....I was hoping to use plastic so that plastic details could be attatched easier...

kevin

Check out the really thin plastic Beware of Dog/No Smoking/For Sale signs that sell for 75 cents at a hardware store. They may be just thin enough to take your rivet detail, and they're thick enough that you can glue them with solvent. At least I have, successfully, in the past. Just make sure you don't use a lot of it. Best bet is probably to tack-glue the sides, then run a small quantity down each edge.

Ray Marinaccio

I use thin styrene for rivet overlays on some of the locos I kit-bash.
You need to be careful how much solvent glue you apply. To much will end in disaster.
An idea I was going to try is to make a paper overlay over styrene and saturate it with solvent cement. the paper should absorb the dissolved styrene and remain attached.

beeblebrox

Locobreath said:
I agree with Calflash- the solvent can quickly eat into the rivet detail. :( :(
If you avoid "hot" glues like Tenax, you'll have less problems. I use Testors on the fragile stuff.

jim currie

use .005 in my riviting machine works well i use a automotive spray glue that is used for attaching sanding disks on .i spray it on base it drys like contact cement press .005 lightly on holds tight :)

ps i have used it to mount .002 brass also:)

CalFlash

Another tact is to use clear styrene. I don't know if it's really styrene or what but seems to be a little more resistant to disolving and deforming. I did overlay panels for a Precision Design boxcar years ago and used clear and it worked great.