Street lights/hydropoles/telephone ploes

interurban

Hi Folks At the last R/W show up here at Whitby I was doing a clinic, and I got into trying different ways to light our hobby;)

And Val aka spitfire thought they might do the trick so I have posted two that I like.
We will be planting them on the Traction in Action layout this winter.:D :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• utility pole.jpg
    utility pole.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 263

interurban

This one is for dark alleyways and such;)

Both are unpainted of course, do they look promising??

Attachments

• side street light.jpg
    side street light.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 255

roryglasgow

Nice job! I've been thinking of something similar for my layout (N-scale). Do you have any hints, tips, or words of wisdom?

interurban

Hi Rory , I did this for HO gauge
N gauge hmmmmmmmmm;)

I think the smallest brass tube is 1/16th and I had to go to 3/16th
for the main tube is this to big for N Gauge??

If you can find the bulbs hot or cold ( wire has to thread down the tube)
and the size of tube that won`t look over size on N gauge
you might be able to make them up.

Let me know and I will tell it step by step.

happy new Year

roryglasgow

I'm not sure about dimensions. One idea I had was to thread only one wire through the tube, and solder the other directly to the tube. That way I could cut down on space...but it would be hard to make it look nice. Also, I was considering using LEDs since they last so long and I wouldn't have to worry about changing bulbs...

interurban

Hi Rory ,
The street light 2nd pic for alleyways, stations and such could be modified.

If you use the 1/16th all the way to the base ( mine go`es into a 1/8th tube).
both wire`s will fit in but be carful when you shape the top. Put a heavy gauge wire down the tube before you attempt to shape it that way it will still be nice and hollow , find a small round object that you can use to bend the brass to shape. Solder the fine cross piece in place before you put the bulb in ;)
It will be hard to handle a small lengh so bend it while its one piece then cut what you need for scale height.
Do it sound right???

Happy Happy Hogmoney
To you and yours.

Let me know if you make one up please, would like to see it:)

interurban

how I made those street lights

Hi HAUSPETER,

These lights I made are easy , if you read this part=-

If you use the 1/16th all the way to the base ( mine go`es into a 1/8th tube).
both wire`s will fit in but be careful when you shape the top. Put a heavy gauge wire down the tube before you attempt to shape it that way it will still be nice and hollow , find a small round object that you can use to bend the brass to shape. Solder the fine cross piece in place before you put the bulb in
It will be hard to handle a small length so bend it while its one piece then cut what you need for scale height.

That is for the small street type of light.

Building the one with the telephone wires on top.
I again used 1/8th hollow brass I researched the hight and drilled the biggest hole I could into the side of the brass rod and made a downwards type cut so it would except the 1/16th hollow brass rod.

I soldered this into the side, being careful to ensure the hole was clear to except the light wire.

That step can be difficult, i used my fine overhead wire and threaded it through then hooking the wire i brought the bulb wire down and through to the base.

The bulb cover is 1/8th brass u channel cut and shaped.

I simply cut the top off a H O scale brown telephone poles that you buy and cemented it into the top trying to mould it into place.

The bulbs are 12 /16 volt when you get a few wired in line they are not to bright.
I hope that helps you Ryan.
If you make them please show us .
Thanks.
:wave:

btw here is a picture of both lights on the layout.

Attachments

• Bowmanvill show 2007 007.jpg
    Bowmanvill show 2007 007.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 20

Bones

5 year delay, but thanks for the info. :p

3/16" would be gigantic in N scale. ... almost 3 feet around.
There are smaller sizes available, you just have to search for them.

what about 1/16th tube and a coated copper wire that radio shack sells as i have some now ill put that on my list of things to do. and its for n scale to boot.

mont2186

Get the smallest tube you can and use fiber optics threaded into them. Melt the end of the fiber with a match to form the bulb. At the other end use an LED bulb. Drill a hole for the size of the fiber in the top of the LED an insert the fiber end. Looks great in N Scale. Been doing this for years now. Good Luck !! Den