Started Scenery on the BAD Western

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I finally took the plunge and started some scenery using ceiling tiles for rock formations. I've gotta long way to go but it sure is nice to have something other than white foam to look at.:thumb:
Doc
adm.sized.jpg

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
SWEET! Looking GOOD, nice to see someone doing an old west timed layout.

Need an engineer?? :wave:

Tom

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Yeah, nothing prettier than a 19th century 4-4-0 or 4-6-0 with the fancy colorful paint, gold trim and all that brass.

I LOVE 'em!

Tom

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Doc
that is an awesome start.....looks great!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I've never used ceiling tiles...can't wait to see how it all comes together.:thumb:
I also agree that it is cool to see an OLD west layout...4-4-0's RULE!!:D

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback.

Dick, you're right about my engines having trouble going through switches. I've got plans to upgrade their pick-up capacity but it's a long way off.
Doc

Old_Bob

Nov 4, 2006
Eagle, CO
Dumb question from a newbie, but why ceiling tiles instead of foam plastic? I guess they are cheap, for one thing. Are they about the same as Homasote?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I'm modeling in HO. I've seen Hminky's website and his 440 upgrade. He does some prety good stuff. I'm not at the point I want to go and disect my enginees though.

I'm using ceiling tiles for a couple of reasons. First I got a whole case free from a contractor I know. I've seen it used several time online and it seemed perfect for the sedimentary rock formation of the Old West as depicted by Hollywood. I don't know if foam plastic would work or not. As for Homosote, I've never seen it in real life and am not even sure I can get it in my neck of the woods. From what I know of it, I think homosote is more dense.
Doc

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
Doc, you're a man after my own heart! I love those rock formatiions. Keep iy up, and you will have an awsome layout!
Peter

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Hey Doc, not that it matters *now*, but apparently you *can* get Homasote in our neck of the woods, as two layouts I know of in Lodi have it, but they probably had to go to Sacramento to get it. Come to think of it, the layout at Railroad Junction that Roger built is Homasote underneath the scenery. Think of a board like MDF, but stiffer and a little rough finish, it's somewhat soft and absorbs sound really well. Great stuff for layouts, but dang if I can find it here in Stockton. I've NEVER seen the stuff for sale anywhere since Grossman's Lumber (remember THAT place over on Kelley Drive and Hammer that's now an In Shape City??) went out of business in the late 80's. They carried it, but it was pricey. Other than that, I gave up looking for it, and prefer foam now anyway.

I wish I would have known 2 months ago you were going with celieng tiles for rock formations, I threw away a pallet of used (but in great shape) tiles at my old office building. I was going to keep a few cases worth for the new layout, but got carried away in the move out. The landfill over on Lovelace threw a fit when I tried to dump it, the lady there thought it was haz-mat of some sort, so after arguing with the manager that it is simply a gypsum product and no haz-mat, they reluctantly let me drop the pallet near where they store the old paint so they can look through it closer. I'd have rather have just given it away to someone who could have used it than deal with our goofy county.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Thanks for the thought about the tiles. I've got a case which shouyld last me awhile. Not sure if I'm gonna do the whole thing that way or not.

I've only been here about 10 years so I don't know Grossman's. I asked Roger about his homosote and he said he'd had it fo a long time, didn't remember where he got it. You say you prefer foam. Are you refering to the dreaded white stuff or did you manage to find pink or blue nearby?
Doc

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
I found the blue stuff at Home Depot (on Hammer Lane, never see it at the March Lane store). It was in 2' x 8' sheets.

I did a website for a guy that was doing his layout to look like the ATSF in New Mexico, he used the tiles quite a bit. Here's the website for photos and how he did it: http://trainweb.org/santafe/

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I haven't looked for it lately, but Home Depot usd to sell a light brown foam with aluminum foil on one or both sides that would be a good sub for the pink or blue foam. The foil is easily stripped off the foam leaving a light brown foam to work with.