Star Wars Scout Walker (AT-ST) under construction

Craftman

Time to build my second Star Wars papercraft, the AT-ST Scout Walker from "Return of the Jedi"!
This build will be a little bit different because in the end it will be a birthday gift for a friend, and that means I also have to construct a proper box for it. :)

Anyway, I started taking photos after I had done the main parts of the walker body...

Attachments

• AtSt01.jpg
    AtSt01.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 28

Craftman

...so this one is pretty much the only picture of a part thats not glued shut! :)
In order to make it look a little bit more like a "real" toy walker, I used a grey pen to make patterns on the inside of the parts that are later visable from certain angles.
I want the end result to look extra good when I am giving it away!

Attachments

• AtSt02.jpg
    AtSt02.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 15

Craftman

Leg parts finished and that means all parts are actually built, what is left is "just" to put them all together. :)
And yes, this took way longer to build than the pictures might indicate, but totally worth it as usual because...

Attachments

• AtSt03.jpg
    AtSt03.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 18

Craftman

... I now have a great gift! :)
The AT-ST is finished!
Almost!

Attachments

• AtSt04.jpg
    AtSt04.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 18

Craftman

I say "almost" because I still have to construct a box from scratch for this Scout Walker toy (with moving head)! :)

So, to do that I need to go online and find pictures of the original box from when this toy was first released!
If I am going to make a box, I might as well make an accurate box! :)

Attachments

• AtSt05.jpg
    AtSt05.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 16

Craftman

I found two versions of the box (not counting all later-year-reproductions) made by Kenner around the time when "Return of the Jedi" was released, one that might have been released just before the movie came out (where the toy seems to be based on drawings), and one that definitely came out after the movie release (where the toy looks like it is based on movie stills).

So, I made my own version where I used the sides from both different ones to create mine (yes, the sides on my box are of two different, yet very, very, very similar, toys).
The back, front, top and bottom were the same on both so I just adjusted the size of the box to be able to hold my paper toy. :)

As a finishing detail, I cut out the picture of the original toy on the front and used a piece of overhead plastic to make it both a box and a display!

Attachments

• AtSt06.jpg
    AtSt06.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 14

Craftman

I love how the box turned out!
Looks like it is related to the actual papercraft model! :)
Well, at least in my humble opinion.

All that is left is to put the finished build of the AT-ST inside and...

Attachments

• AtSt07.jpg
    AtSt07.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 17

Craftman

...it´s done!! :)

This is the first time I have made a papercraft project to give away, and I really hope my friend will like it!
I know he loves Star Wars, so fingers crossed! :)

Attachments

• AtSt08.jpg
    AtSt08.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 17

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is a great concept! Very well done! I'm sure your friend will like it a lot.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
That is really cool. I like the box as well. It makes for a GREAT display!!!
I am sure that your friend will like it (especially with all of the work that you put into it).

Craftman

To Revell-Fan;
Thank you! I hope you are right! :)

To Rhaven Blaack;
Thanks a lot! My friend has to like it! :)

UPDATE:
The gift was a succes! I know it was "just" pieces of paper I gave him on his birthday, but he really wanted to get the actual toy and had not been succesful as it was to hard to find and/or to expensive, and his face really lit up when he saw it! :)
That made med happy to so I feel ok.

To EVERYONE;
Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year!
See you in 2014! :)