Star Wars Millenium Falcon from Shunichi Makino

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Last edited:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
I just checked texture precision and accuracy against some photo reference of original model. Shunichi Makino did superb job and textures are very accurate and precise. Also, model is in vector format, so you can scale it as you wish without quality loss. Can not wait to put my hands on it.

If my calculations are right, scale is around 1:100

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS THREAD!!! :)

THANK YOU SHUNICHI FOR MAKING THIS MODEL. I'm so looking forward to it.

If my calculations are right, scale is around 1:100
I have calculated 1/91, however, that was more a guess than actual maths. ;) I'll have to see if the number he posted was supposed to be the length or the width of the model. Anyway, like you mentioned before, the pattern is a vector graphic, so you can easily resize it without losing quality. WOW, this is an exciting model! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Folks, I recommend checking his site on a daily basis in order not to miss an update. ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
If somebody is interested :) I did some comparison with original models and this is what I found:

Original models:
- 5 foot long Millenium Falcon ("5footer") was main model build for Star Wars IV - A New Hope (ANH)
- another smaller 32" long model was build for Star Wars V - Empire Strikes Back (ESB) so they could do more dynamic flying shots. They also added additional two legs to landing gear of 5footer. There were originaly three legs in ANH.
- for Star Wars VII - Force Awakens digital model was created based on original 5 foot model

5footer and 32" are not identical. There are differences in owerall proportions and greebling details. 32" became source for all the models, toys and images.

Paper Model from Shunichi Makino:
Proportion wise the model seems to be close to 5footer. Details and textures are based mainly on 32". On bottom side are boxes for 5 legs landing gear, so this model is ESB Millenium Falcon or ROTJ (Star Wars VI) version. As I wrote earlier, details are precise. Amazing work Shunichi Makino Claphands.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
If somebody is interested :) I did some comparison with original models and this is what I found:

Original models:
- 5 foot long Millenium Falcon ("5footer") was main model build for Star Wars IV - A New Hope (ANH)
- another smaller 32" long model was build for Star Wars V - Empire Strikes Back (ESB) so they could do more dynamic flying shots. They also added additional two legs to landing gear of 5footer. There were originaly three legs in ANH.
- for Star Wars VII - Force Awakens digital model was created based on original 5 foot model

5footer and 32" are not identical. There are differences in owerall proportions and greebling details. 32" became source for all the models, toys and images.

Paper Model from Shunichi Makino:
Proportion wise the model seems to be close to 5footer. Details and textures are based mainly on 32". On bottom side are boxes for 5 legs landing gear, so this model is ESB Millenium Falcon or ROTJ (Star Wars VI) version. As I wrote earlier, details are precise. Amazing work Shunichi Makino Claphands.

That is interesting information indeed. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Just an FYI, There are now 9 download parts available for this model.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The Falcon is nearing completion:

o0994074513977336345.jpg

It is way bigger than the original version (left):

o1333100013975962036.jpg

:):):)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Yesssssss:).

As Shunichi Makino says in his blog, final version on the right is 33 cm long. So we can safely say, scale is cca 1:105

I will greeble it inside out and outside in:).

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hummmm.... I suggest to enlarge it a bit to ... let's say, 1/72............ ;)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I can see a great deal of greebling potential with this model!!!

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
I want to enlarge it to 1/48 scale (and make the saucer round), but I am still considering pros (same scale with my X-wing:)) and cons (size, more greebling = more time to build:().

I already started research for greebling and it is overwhelming. On original model is 2500+ greebles:eek:. Here is video showing unique greebles used on falcon:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I want to enlarge it to 1/48 scale (and make the saucer round), but I am still considering pros (same scale with my X-wing:)) and cons (size, more greebling = more time to build:().

I already started research for greebling and it is overwhelming. On original model is 2500+ greebles:eek:. Here is video showing unique greebles used on falcon:

:surprise::surprise::surprise:
WOW! That is a SHED LOAD of greebles!!!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks, was just checking. I'm still haveing trouble but I will just keep trying.
Thanks again.
I would recommend that you clean out your cache and cookies, then restart your computer, then attempt to access the site again.