Star Trek USS Ares - Anyone?

Is there a model of the USS Ares from the fan film Axanar out there? I heard rumors of someone making a paper model but I can't find it.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Is this the one that you are asking about?

warship_ares.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Haven't seen one, though you could probably kitbash something close. I imagine someone will build one some day. The whole "Axanar" thing was settled. They can make two 15 minute movies, on YouTube with no commercials. The people who own the rights to "Star Trek" on T.V. are bags of crap holding a valuable franchise, kind of ironic, considering there other programming is mostly bags of crap. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Yeppers! That's the one! She's a beaut!
I would suggest sending some the members who have notably designed different Starfleet vessels a PM, and see if they would be interested in designing this one as well. When you contact them, include the pic that I posted, as reference to what you are wanting.

Haven't seen one, though you could probably kitbash something close. I imagine someone will build one some day. The whole "Axanar" thing was settled. They can make two 15 minute movies, on YouTube with no commercials. The people who own the rights to "Star Trek" on T.V. are bags of crap holding a valuable franchise, kind of ironic, considering there other programming is mostly bags of crap. :)
I haven't seen the new TV show, but since they decided to make it a pay channel, I figured they were money-grabbing "bags of crap". I guess I"ll just wait around. I thought I heard that someone like maybe Paragon was working on it, but I may have been hallucinating.

I would suggest sending some the members who have notably designed different Starfleet vessels a PM, and see if they would be interested in designing this one as well. When you contact them, include the pic that I posted, as reference to what you are wanting.
They'll probably start popping out some new ships once the videos come out. Looks like some pretty good ships from the clips I've seen. We'll just have to wait and see.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Can you hand me it an an OBJ file (.3dm, ver. 5 64, even better). I might do it, but I won't beta build it, someone else will have to do it. Maybe a collaborative thing?

Can you hand me it an an OBJ file (.3dm, ver. 5 64, even better). I might do it, but I won't beta build it, someone else will have to do it. Maybe a collaborative thing?
Don't know how to do that either. I'm just a poor poor modeler. I download and print and cut and paste. I'm sure someone else can do it though.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hum. I haven't seen the CG model "in person" yet but judging from the picture I guess that it is too detailed for paper modeling. It has to be simplified tremendously. Just look at the smooth edges and the flawless curvature. I think it would be better to use it as a base and copy the dimensions and angles to a simpler model designed for unfolding.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
This is much more work than I anticipated, don't hold your breath, you will certainly die. I just got the file, and will look at it though. I think it would be better done in multi media.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I have the decals some where, do you think that if you had some pretty good texture decals that you could piece one together from them, I will have to spend some time looking for them.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You could use parts of existing models as a base and save their unfold, like the nacelles and the saucer dish. Ron Caudillo's Enterprise comes in mind which could be used as a parts source. So it would be only the engine section which had to be dealt with. Of course you'll need to rescale the model properly to make sure that everything fits.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Kitbash it. As far as Star Trek ships go, this one is as derivative as the rest of them.