Star Trek TOS Enterprise Bridge - Upscaled Ron Caudillo Design

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Hailing Frequencies, Open. Well guys, it's been a while since I posted and I made the statement in the last post that I was going to finish the Space: 1999 Hawk before starting anything new. Well, we know what an empty promise that can be with hobbies. When the mood strikes, don't fight it. And over Thanksgiving I got in the mood to work on this thanks to BBC America's ST marathon.

This project actually started a few years ago when I built the Star Trek: TMP Bridge Model Book. I knew that could be scaled up to fit the Mego 3 3/4" TMP figures, but it would take a lot of work. Then, I bought the Reaction/Funko Star Trek 3 3/4" figures and knew an upscaled TOS bridge would need to happen, also. I already had Ron Caudillo's fabulous vector bridge model on the "To Do" List and knew that would scale up with little effort. All I had to do was figure out the percentage to upscale (132%), make some personal changes to the design and break the pieces down to print on 8.5x11 paper.

This bridge model is a great, simple design for building. Since the bridge is sectional the build of each station is mostly a mirror image of every other station. Therefore, there won't be a lot of lengthy description. Whenever a station has anything specific to it I'll call it out.

So, after a long layoff, it's time to head back to the 23rd century.

1. DEFENSE SUB STATION
After printing onto heavy card stock, cut notches where the folds go. I mounted the Defense station on 2mm chipboard and cut the same notches into the chipboard. That gave me guides for where to put the scores into the chipboard. I cut the scores with a triangular needle file. I cut out the recessed screen area, then the display out of that, as well as the lower displays. I also made an extra trim piece that goes around the outside of the upper display to raise the detail. Actually, I should have omitted that because it wasn't part of the real bridge. I found better resolution art for all the upper displays and replaced that. I moved the lower displays to the rear, but you'll see that change later. With just the displays on paper, they do give me the option for lighting if I want to try for it later.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
The side panels are mounted on 2mm chipboard and cut into separate sections.

Trying to get the short fold above the lower displays was not going well. I cut the piece in two and glued them back together.

And here's Scotty with the Defense station. After I did this part I found I'd done the lower displays backward. They were boxed shapes that slid into holes in the station, so they should have been "raised." I replaced the displays on this piece and you'll see the final look on other stations.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
2. ENGINEERING SUB STATION
This station followed the construction of the previous part, except it shows the "raised" displays and control panels.

Attachments

• 100_6163.JPG
    100_6163.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
3. COMMUNICATIONS
This station followed the construction of the previous parts, except it is twice as wide. I glued a small strip or card stock to the back of where the lower section comes together for strength.

The viewer is just card stock that is edge glued. I made extra side dials and glued them to 2mm chipboard for raised detail.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Great idea!! I bet Ron will enjoy seeing this. ;)
This is GREAT! And I do enjoy seeing your wonderful improvements! My skills are limited so I like seeing the models taken to the next level (in your case many levels :)).

Really enjoyed this and will be anxiously looking for more!

Ron Caudillo

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Hi everyone seeing this. Hope you are all doing well. I've had almost no time for hobbies in the last couple of years and that won't change any time soon. But, I still find a little time every now and then and I used some of that for this project.

4. LIBRARY COMPUTER/SCIENCE STATION
This station followed the construction of the communications station. I glued a small strip or card stock to the back of where the lower section comes together for strength. The viewer is just card stock that is edge glued. I made extra side dials and glued them to 2mm chipboard for raised detail.

I'm out of practice so the seams aren't great, but at least Spock finally has a place to work.

Attachments

• 100_6255.JPG
    100_6255.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 100_6256.JPG
    100_6256.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 100_6254.JPG
    100_6254.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 6

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is coming together very nicely! I like how you are adding detail to it!