Star Trek: Lower Decks Tricorder with the Purple Stripe

DJPinter

Trusted Confidant
A 3D file for the infamous purple stripped tricorder. I haven’t looked at the file yet, but I assume it can be unfolded by Pepakura.

Attachments

• Star+Trek+Lower+Decks+Tricorder.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good idea - with one issue:

These *.stl files are designed for 3D printing and require LOTS of work to be turned into paper models. The renders always look fine but if you look at the mesh you see this:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Each model part consists of a series of triangles. Imported in SketchUp they appear as lines, even on the faces which are on the same level. These lines must be deleted first before you can start unfolding.

That should not be a big task but there is something else which I encounter every time I look at an *.stl file:

To avoid sharp edges after printing all edges are rounded off. In papercrafting we don't need those round edges and corners. So these must be turned into straight faces. Depending on the complexity of the model this can be a daunting task.

So I recommend to start from scratch, using the overall dimensions of the *.stl file for reference.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
In Rhino3D, I just peel those useless lines away one by one, making an original copy in case I screw up, and after many house, you end up with a set of lines which you then convert into "Curves', as there is no such thing as a line in Rhino. It's possible. Having a file is half the battle. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great to see the fleet growing! Please keep us updated on the model, Jim. :)

It looks like it was made in SketchUp and it builds up very nicely.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
He is Portuguese and doesn't speak English. I didn't mean to come off sounding offended, I was in the middle of a delivery at the door and just spent about an hour correcting sizing errors on one of my starships that printed out differently than I expected. i get a little short sometimes.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
You are not the only one with printer issues. My royal guard and tie wing didnt come outas I would to. But at the end I got them so I assume your printings are comming out good as wel.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I have deleted portions of this thread I found inappropriate.

Last edited: