Stands?

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Hi guys,

I will happily admit that I'm much more of a builder than designer (thank you all who contribute in this way!)

But, why do very few model designs come with a stand? I usually cobble together something myself, but not everyone has the skill/time/etc.

Just putting it out there ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
That puzzles me too:). I am able to design myself a stands too, but sometimes it is not just about stand itself, but also reinforcing some models parts that rest on stand.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
It's actually a good question. I guess most just haven't thought about it?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I guess there are three main reasons for that:

Time constraints: the designer chooses to finish and release the model first at all costs and does not think of making a stand or does not have the time to do it.

Creative restrictions: some models literally scream for a sophisticated stand which represent the character of the model (see my enhanced Gemini freighter, the Colonial Raptor and Colonial One) but sometimes it is pretty hard to come up with a suitable one. When someone knows how to unfold but not how to model chances are high that a ripped game model gets unfolded but will not receive a stand.

Laziness: See me and my Aurora. (duck and cover :D ;) )

Of course there are many models which does not need a stand because of their nature: Cars and planes come into mind.

:)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
especially when the design does not have landing gear :)
That would make a bumpy landing, eh? :D ;)

Now let's imagine this situation and come up with a suitable conversation between a flight captain (played by Michael Palin) and a tower guard (played by John Cleese):

TOWER: "Tower to flight 17! Runway Alpha clear for landing."
CAP: "Flight 17 to tower! We are going down!"
TOWER: "Tower to flight 17: We don't see your gear down!"
CAP: "Flight 17 to tower: We don't have any gear!"
TOWER: "Tower to flight 17: Use your stand then!"

:animated::animated::animated:

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
As for getting back to the subject of "stands" for models, I would suggest someone design a few generic stands that could be resized to fit the model, and make them Zealot exclusives.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, that is a very good idea! IIRC D-Whale once came up with a generic stand for his Wolf-359 starships. There are quite a few sites providing templates for runways and landing sites; I'll have to look the site up. I once used one of them to build a landing platform for a small helicopter; I just printed the pattern out and laminated it to card.

DSCF1647a.JPG DSCF1681a.JPG

In addition, a flat cylindrical platform could serve well as a base for a car.

The templates should be delivered in white as well so that the builder may recolour them according to his / her needs. :)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
I've only been able to find the front section stand for Jan's sulaco model so im going to try using them as a template to create the rear stands myself. I think with a large model like that, it would be helpful to have a stand with it.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
If there are enough generic stands available (10 minimum), I can open a new section just for "Generic Stand".

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have found one in the SciFi section which was buried deep inside the wood of threads which might fit. :)

I could adapt some of my stands as well, for example the handgun stands from the Buck and BSG blasters (it was designed to fit any handgun up to 30 cm length; the builder would only need to trim the holding struts). The planet stand for the Andy Probert Triangle Ship was also designed to be adaptable. And the Colonial One stand might be adapted to fit for ships.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I think that is an excellent idea!! So many ways to display and the stands in themselves becomes works of art. ;)