SR2 Normandy Design and Build - continued

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING JOB so far!!!
This is coming together BEAUTIFULLY!!!
Thank you for the update. It is well worth the wait.

mcusanelli

Unbelievable! This is going to be an amazing model....And really big, too! I can't wait to see this all together SJ, beautiful work, sir :)
Mike

Spartacus

And thanks for that first one with the ship length. Now I have a scale. Actually, while I'm thinking of it, is the Normandy from ME2 the same length as the one in ME3, and what is the length of the SR1? I recall someone mentioning that it was smaller than the SR2.

The Normandy SR1 was stated at 160m.

The size of the Normandy SR2 is debatable. The exact length is not stated by Bioware. The Codex says it is twice the size of the SR1, but does that mean length or mass? Assuming mass (and assuming the SR1 and SR2 are similarly dense) it makes the SR2 around 200m. Someone also noticed an outside shot of Joker at the airlock. By that they guestimated the airlock door to be 2m wide putting the ship at, again, around 200m. A bit over IIRC.

I believe the ME3 SR2 Alliance was just a refit of the ME2 SR2 Cerberus.

So at 24 inches (60 cm) this makes this model around 1:333 scale.

(Also it should be noted the Normandy is also a TARDIS, it is clearly much larger on the inside than it could possibly be from the outside at the stated Bioware dimensions)

- - -

EDIT: should have said, as my first contribution to this thread, this model is looking absolutely AWESOME

ThunderChild

Size/scale

Yes, the Cerberus SR-2 and Alliance SR-2 is basically the same ship. After Sheppard handed it over the Alliance made a few internal changes, updated equipment etc, but the outside just got a new paint job.

I lifted this pic from scifi-meshes.com, its a guesstimate regarding the size difference between the SR-1 and SR-2.

Attachments

• menormandy02.jpg
    menormandy02.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 84

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now THAT'S an update! Holy crap, the ship is gorgeous! Steve, you are incredible!!!

sjsquirrel

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I really would like to wrap this project up since I have so many others I want to do. The layout and markup, and instructions will be the next big challenge.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I really would like to wrap this project up since I have so many others I want to do. The layout and markup, and instructions will be the next big challenge.

Regards,

Steve

You mean that this model is going to be available for download ? :eek:

Wow !!!

I realy need to retire early because my lifetime won't be long enough to make all these incredible models that are designed here.

This Normandy is becoming absolutely fantastic. The detail is beautifull !!

My deepest respect.

Cheers,
Elko

Mathius_gamgee

I think I may have just had a nerdgasm!!! I never expected to see so much detail in the wing sections! Oh my god Steve you are a living legend! I cannot wait to "attempt this at home"!

sjsquirrel

You mean that this model is going to be available for download ? :eek:
Absolutely. I have a few in mind I'd like to be able to sell, but generally all of my models are available for download.

I realy need to retire early because my lifetime won't be long enough to make all these incredible models that are designed here.
I hear you! My current to-build-list is sitting at 173 models, of which I've completed 17, 33 I've marked as first priority, and 21 as second priority. Not that I really pay that much attention. I usually just go for whatever tickles me at the time I select my next build project. And that's just the to-build list. My development list is equally impossible to fit into the remainder of this lifetime.

This Normandy is becoming absolutely fantastic. The detail is beautifull !!

My deepest respect.
And my humble thanks. I'm very pleased with how it's turning out as well.

I think I may have just had a nerdgasm!!! I never expected to see so much detail in the wing sections! Oh my god Steve you are a living legend! I cannot wait to "attempt this at home"!

Thanks Mathius. Living legend might be stretching it a bit, but it's much appreciated. I take ages to get a development done, and I like detail, so I make it to satisfy myself, and hope others find it worth waiting for.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve for your reply, this is realy going to be awesome.

I loved the games (besides the ending of ME-3) and the Normandy has become an icon in the Mass Effect world.

My buildlist is growing by the week, so many fantastic models being made and I still make some new finds on the internet once in a while. I don;t even know how many I wanna build, when I browse thrue my folders onmy HDD I go "ooh that one and that one, naah that one first" aargh.

@pokemoz
Just wait for the one Steve is making, it's gonna be a treat !!!

Cheers,
Elko

pokemoz

@Shadowhawk141:
For sure it will be a great model. I think I also have to learn to build internal reinforcements by myself. I did not tried before but think at some models it would be very helpful.

Arbiter Bri

novice designer
looks really good, are you by any chance selling one of these? my freind is a huge ME fan, and his birthday is coming up.

sjsquirrel

looks really good, are you by any chance selling one of these? my friend is a huge ME fan, and his birthday is coming up.

If I had one finished I'd be happy to sell it, unfortunately "real life" keeps getting in the way. I've had little time and energy for modelling activities these past few months, I keep my unfinished Normandies out on a shelf where I see them every day so they are always in mind. I can't tell you how many times I've said "I'm going to work on that tonight", only to have something else come up that keeps me from it.

By way of an update:
I have begun work building the second engine and discovered flaws in my unfolding that make it harder to build, so I've adjusted the pattern to compensate. The size is pretty good. The model was designed to have a finished length of around 2 feet, and even at that size some of the engine details are quite small.

I've also gone back and designed in some internal reinforcement for the smaller (outer) engines. The main concern I have at this stage is attaching the wing and engine assembly to the hull. I've only designed it to be a butt joint but really think it should have something more sturdy.

@ Arbiter Bri - thanks for the nudge. Every time someone asks I get another good nudge towards getting this project finished.

Steve

sjsquirrel

Latest update

So, in my last update I said I had started the other engine. At that time it looked like this

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I've been getting some good model time in lately, so without further ado:

Assembly of the second engine is much the same as the first, so here's the equivalent of a few thousand words.

And the finished engine:

And last but not least, attached to the rest of the assembly.

And with the forward part angled down

You may recall this picture from the last post. I mentioned that the two pieces were built up of a total of 5 layers of card stock. On this engine as an experiment I left it simple and just glued the two pattern pieces back to back. The next picture shows the comparison.

I took this shot outside for better lighting, so it could be seen more clearly. The engine on the left is the latest with the two pieces just glued back to back. The one on the right is the first one that has 5 layers of card. I think the results speak for themselves. I think I'll be adding a few layers to the pieces for this engine.

This marks a major milestone as all parts have now been test built at least once, and many of them twice. I've made a number of improvements to the 3D model as a result. This has forced me to have to redo a lot of the unfolding and pattern arrangement, but that's life. I'll continue on to finish the other wing in between, and at that point I will have a completed prototype.

Once the pattern layout is completed I'll start working on the instructions in earnest. It's moving along slowly, but it is moving along.

Regards,

Steve

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's so good to see that you are still around! Great and remarkable progress, Steve. I can imagine that getting all parts ready is a lot of work. I'm crossing my fingers that no further (MAJOR) changes have to be made. Take your time, we are patient.

pferris

I wake up to start the day - and this is the best news so far!

What an excellent way to start the day

Cant wait to try this out

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You are doing a FANTASTIC JOB on this project.
It is coming together BEAUTIFULLY!!!
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!