SR-71 Blackbird - request for help

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
MoF has the remaining M-21, and the nose from 64-17977.

I really llike this picture. Most pictures down't show just how pronouced the rivets are, and models end up being these smooth surfaced aircraft that don't really capture the hand built quality and fitting of Titanium panels. My speciality was cutting Titanium parts at Sikorsky and when a drill lasts for one hole, you get an idea how hard this element is. I wonder if the skills exist to even make one of these planes again. There would have to be a year lead up on just how to tool and cut the material at hand. :)

ASC Mclaren

I took that picture today, while taking pictures of the M'21. Most if the other pictures are too large to post.

ASC Mclaren

2MB seems to be the file size limit. Most of the pics are between 2 and 5 MB. These are some of the smaller file size pictures.

Attachments

• 20200103_132554.jpg
    20200103_132554.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200103_135908.jpg
    20200103_135908.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200103_135852.jpg
    20200103_135852.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200103_135854.jpg
    20200103_135854.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200103_135856.jpg
    20200103_135856.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
What's really amazing is that a full speed that ship glows red from the friction and smoooths out. The pilot cannot touch the windshield as it will burn his glove. Fun facts! :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
The pilots were not told a speed they could not exceed, they were told the maximum temperature that the inlet spikes could withstand, IMSC it is around 450°C

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Most of those pics are of the old M-21 Mothership. the first two seat variant of the Article 12 Oxcart.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sooo, it went from this ...

Oxcart.jpg

... to this:

1578339886824.jpeg

;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
WOW! How is THAT possible? I always thought they would use the same basic shape. Did they use other materials or have the differences been caused by the enormous forces during flight?

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
And A-12 has also different nose shape from these two:). The blue parts, wings, engine nacelles and middle part of the fuselage are practicaly the same. What varies is the tail and nose. Materials was the same. SR-71A has little more parts from polymer composite on chines and wing edges mainly to reduce radar signature. The shape of the nose part was determined by evolution of the plane (from one seater (A-12) to two seater (YF-12, SR-71)) and numerous wind tunel tests when developing new model and by equipment housed in the nose. Tail was longer on SR-71 because of the need to carry more fuel to compensate for its higher weight.

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
I choose SR-71A airframe No 958 that holds top speed record. Drone is interesting, but unfortunately it was carried by M-21 that is based on A-12, and I do not plan to make this variant it right now. But maybe I will make other variants too, because there is no A-12, YF-12 or M/D-21 paper model that I know of. Big part of the plane is identical for all models ... will see :).

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Most of those drones were dropped from B-52's, off the edge of Russian Air Space. The drone would make a great separate model. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's fascinating to see the resemblance between the drone and the BB's engines. I have the Revellogram version of the plane that comes with the drone. At first I thought it was a concept design because I only saw the BB without it until then.