Space Shuttle Challenger STS-61-A/D-1 (AXM)

firestarter83

Nov 8, 2020
I decided to go back and build another shuttle (this will be #5 for me). I built all of the other ones before I joined here, so it will be nice to have a record of one of these coming together.
For Challenger, I decided to to the last successful mission STS-61-A/D-1. This was a unique mission as it was run by West Germany, and the largest crew (8) from launch until landing on a single spacecraft.

The payload is a modified version of AXM's available payloads taking some elements from his payware STS-90 and several other free payloads.
My only major edit was modifying the spacelab logos to match the actual mission.

Here is the start of the shuttle itself:

Challenger Build-1.jpgChallenger Build-2.jpgChallenger Build-3.jpgChallenger Build-4.jpgChallenger Build-5.jpgChallenger Build-6.jpgChallenger Build-7.jpgChallenger Build-8.jpgChallenger Build-9.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
That looks very nice! Great to see an AXM shuttle being built. I'm highly tempted to make one, too. :)

Reactions: firestarter83

firestarter83

Nov 8, 2020
Thanks guys! Got a little more work done during my lunch break and after work this afternoon.
The spacelab and MPESS (forgot to take some pictures of that build), are assembled and installed within the payload bay.
Flight deck windows also added. Starting to look a little more like a shuttle now!

Challenger Build-10.jpgChallenger Build-11.jpgChallenger Build-12.jpgChallenger Build-13.jpgChallenger Build-14.jpgChallenger Build-15.jpgChallenger Build-16.jpgChallenger Build-17.jpgChallenger Build-18.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Al those bits really make this model. Great job.!! :)

firestarter83

Nov 8, 2020
Thanks again for all the nice comments!

I was too young at the time of the Challenger disaster to remember when it happened but I get chills too when ever I see the video of the last flight.
That was part of the reason why I wanted to do a different mission for my display model.

Got the engines all done today, was really happy with how it turned out.

Challenger Build-37.jpgChallenger Build-38.jpgChallenger Build-39.jpgChallenger Build-40.jpgChallenger Build-41.jpgChallenger Build-42.jpgChallenger Final.jpg

This seems to be one of the models I most enjoy putting together.
And the updated group shot is proof of that!

Group Shot.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I can never forget where I was, my ship was close enough that we recorded the debris impacts on the water with the sonar gear.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
My friend was the nav chief, and he chould tell you the latitude and longitude where we were.

Edited twice for spelling... Grrtt

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You're really god at putting these together, and it shows. ;)