Something new for Halloween :-)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi fans,

Halloween is near and I'm working on a new model for my colleagues.

Finding the correct shape was a bit tricky since the subject in question can be found in various forms and sizes. Some are more flat, some pointy at the end, but all belong to the same "species" (literally! ;) ).

Pictures will follow as soon as possible.

Stay tuned! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Alright, since picture upload is working again here are the first images of y current project.

Everything started with a 3D model. It was unfolded and edited in CorelDRAW.

DSCF3546.jpg

The line thickness was changed to 1 mm. Reason for that: I need to reduce the outline a bit because I'm going to use this pattern as a stencil and I need to compensate the larger circumference that is created using a pencil. The pattern is laminated to some card. Then I cut it out following closely the inner rim of the outline. The red lines indicate where the glue flaps are added. The outline was traced on black card.

DSCF3547.jpg

This is how it looked after cutting out. It looks like a flat battlestar but I can assure you, it is not. ;)

The first assembly was successful and produced this:

DSCF3548.jpg

DSCF3549.jpg

This shape was the best compromise between height and width. It took me several attempts to get this far:

DSCF3551.jpg

Next I pinned some paper maché balls to a styrofoam plate with tooth picks and painted them black.

DSCF3552.jpg

DSCF3553.jpg

Do you guess what it will become in the end? :)

Stay tuned! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:animated::animated::animated:

I think I'll have to consider my original plan..! :D

But no, nothing related to a known franchise. ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wow!! I can't believe I finally figured out one of these!! ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Congratulations, pal! And now you have to guess WHERE the balls will go..! ;) :D

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Our spooky endeavour continues and you can already see a group of bugs standing by. They look a bit like the meat eating beetles from "The Mummy" (Brendan Fraser version). ;)

DSCF3574.jpg

Some chenille sticks are prepared. Eight sticks are glued to a bug, four to each side. Glue is applied and left to cure for a few minutes. Then the sticks are pressed on to it.

DSCF3578.jpg

DSCF3579.jpg

DSCF3580.jpg

DSCF3581.jpg

DSCF3582.jpg

DSCF3583.jpg

Then the first ball is tackled. Glue is applied, left to cure for a minute and then pressed on the bug's body.

DSCF3584.jpg

DSCF3585.jpg

DSCF3586.jpg

To be continued! :)

Attachments

• DSCF3586.jpg
    DSCF3586.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The legs are bent into their intended positions - et voilà:

DSCF3593.jpg

It's a SPIDER! :)

A simple paper stencil is used to add a cross on her back. This is necessary to center the marking properly. I drew a cross with a pencil right into the middle of the stencil and then traced it roughly with a silver marker. It is not necessary to be exact; the crosses on real spiders are seldomly drawn with the help of a ruler. ;)

DSCF3595.jpg

DSCF3596.jpg

There's a lot of spiders in the box!

DSCF3597.jpg

But wait a moment - something's missing...

DSCF3600.jpg

Yep, THOSE EYES!

Since I found it somewhat too weird to engulf the whole head in eyes I chose to use only one pair of them on each spider head.

DSCF3602.jpg

Are you looking at me? :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Of course a spider needs something to make a web. A series of 10 cm long strings are glued to a cardboard rectangle ...

DSCF3621.jpg

DSCF3622.jpg

... which is then attached to the "rear" of the animal.

DSCF3624.jpg

DSCF3626.jpg

Now she is ready to attack her prey: SWEETS IN BAGGIES!!!

DSCF3617.jpg

They are wrapped in (artificial Halloween) spider webs.

DSCF3619.jpg

DSCF3620.jpg