Someone has pirated Marvin!!!!

BazookaJo

Some time ago Rickstef kindly pointed out to me that some cretin on the web had got my paper kit - removed each and every reference to me and my website, replaced it with their blog details and posted it on their site as if it was their own work:eek:

Now she has no contact details, but I have posted some comments highlighting my displeasure, yet she has done nothing to remove the offending articles.

So now I'm turning to you guys - any ideas what I can do to about her?

http://creativepaper.blogspot.com/search/label/Anime

wccrawford

Novice Papercrafter
When I had my IP stolen, the end solution ended up being contacting the webhost and explaining the situation. Since what she has done is illegal, it usually gets pretty good results.

Edit: I had already tried to contact them as you did, of course. In my case, they responded very rudely.

I also had the same problem back then. I emailed him politely and explain that the model's link is not shared properly because without designer credit or link to the original website. Finally he understand and change the links, although without saying sorry but fine by me. Well, many people still don't understand about giving credit to the original designer.

sakrison

Banned
I have posted some comments highlighting my displeasure, yet she has done nothing to remove the offending articles.

So now I'm turning to you guys - any ideas what I can do to about her?

While your displeasure is understandable, it's usually best to assume that a model was pirated out of ignorance rather than malice aforethought. Approaching the pirate with, "I know you meant well, but . . ." will often be more effective than opening with a blast from both barrels.

Even if you know the pirate is a willful crook, sometimes the soft approach can work best. And it always leaves you the option of turning nasty. Starting out nasty doesn't leave you much room to move--or to win someone over. In short, don’t attribute to malice or treachery what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

And remember that "diplomacy" is the art of saying, "Nice doggie," while you look for a rock.

--David

P

paulhbell

N810, I just been to the link you posted and don't google make it hard to report a bad blog. It's as if they are trying to make it hard so people don't report blogs.

Everyone leave a comment and flood the blog.

BazookaJo

Big thanks for all your info guys :- I agree that the google process seems damn painful.

I guess that's the only option, unless I take her photo, put it on my website with her link and give her the title of "@sshole of the Year 2009" until she complies :rolleyes:.

As for diplomacy I see where you're coming from, but as for ignorance, not only were my webpage and details removed from each and every one of the pages, she even removed the details of the base of the foot of the model - now that's what I call taking the P :curse:.

While your displeasure is understandable, it's usually best to assume that a model was pirated out of ignorance rather than malice aforethought. Approaching the pirate with, "I know you meant well, but . . ." will often be more effective than opening with a blast from both barrels.

Even if you know the pirate is a willful crook, sometimes the soft approach can work best. And it always leaves you the option of turning nasty. Starting out nasty doesn't leave you much room to move--or to win someone over. In short, don’t attribute to malice or treachery what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

And remember that "diplomacy" is the art of saying, "Nice doggie," while you look for a rock.

--David

P

paulhbell

Come guys, get some comments posted on the blog. If you can post on here, you can post on a blog.

I'm a very disapointed that there have only been 4 comments left there. There are over 35,000 members on the zealot forum, I know not everyone is into cardmodels, but we all go mad at the illegal downloads and copyright breakers. But no one can be bothered to post a simple comment to protect a member thats been here for a very long time. So much for a community that sticks together. Absolute rubbish.

wccrawford

Novice Papercrafter
Come guys, get some comments posted on the blog. If you can post on here, you can post on a blog.

I'm a very disapointed that there have only been 4 comments left there. There are over 35,000 members on the zealot forum, I know not everyone is into cardmodels, but we all go mad at the illegal downloads and copyright breakers. But no one can be bothered to post a simple comment to protect a member thats been here for a very long time. So much for a community that sticks together. Absolute rubbish.

That's not 'protection', that's being a vigilante. I refuse to be a part of that. There are proper channels for such things and 400 comments won't do any more good than 4. Or 1, for that matter, from the original author.

P

paulhbell

wccrawford, So you are saying all the work 'some' members are doing, protecting designers rights, is all wrong. I think not. What about when the copyright thread's come up, they usually have more posts and are red' more often than any other thread.

As you only joined in july last year, you maybe don't now the work that Bazookajo did for this forum, I think you should have a look at his site.

Stev0

I would say that our job as a community would be to keep our designers advised of any shinanigans such as this. It ultimately comes down to the owner to contact the person who has violated common sense policy and if that doesn't work, contact the file's host to have the stolen work removed.

At we here can support you by verifying that you ARE the original owner.

Now, registering on a site to post a comment gives someone your 'details' which is why I have not posted comments there.

P

paulhbell

And another thing, how can anyone report a wrong doing like this when google make it almost impossible to report it and the blog owner has left no contact details, this means that they now they are doing wrong.

What about all the rapidshare links and ebay models that are reported, is that vigilante work or is it protecting our own members.

P

paulhbell

Stevo, I didn't have to register to leave a comment, and when you click on my name alonside my comment no one can see any of my personall details, apart from my name and I think it highly unlikly that I will ever run into the blogger anyway.

wccrawford

Novice Papercrafter
wccrawford, So you are saying all the work 'some' members are doing, protecting designers rights, is all wrong. I think not. What about when the copyright thread's come up, they usually have more posts and are red' more often than any other thread.

As you only joined in july last year, you maybe don't now the work that Bazookajo did for this forum, I think you should have a look at his site.

I fully support him and his work as a designer. I denounce the thief.

But I also refuse to go vigilante and denounce those who do.

P

paulhbell

So, the members on zealot, papermodels.net and on ecardmodels that are fighting against piracy are wrong in doing that?

wccrawford

Novice Papercrafter
So, the members on zealot, papermodels.net and on ecardmodels that are fighting against piracy are wrong in doing that?

There are proper and effective ways to fight it. Vigilante-ism is not one of them.

You obviously don't understand, though, so I'm done replying.

T

Texman

Play nice ya'll. While a good discussion is always welcome, this thread is heading
in a decidedly (by me) off direction. Keep it on the civil side.

Ray

P

paulhbell

I'm done with the disscussion anyway. But I will say this, if we don't work as a community, acts like this will never stop, remember Nobi's X-15.

If this is the attitude of the members on this forum, not backing the designers, I think it time I started posting elsewhere.

P

paulhbell

N810, I would have thought that you as an active member of the APG would understand what I was trying to do here. Instead I, basically, am told (by 2 mods/admin) to stop a disscussion with another member. I know both of us had different views, but there was nothing nasty about the comments.

I will be getting in touch with my friends on here by email to let them know where I will be posting from now on. I have had a good time (mostly) on the forum, helping with design, beta testing and building, but that time, I think is coming to an end.

Stev0

Stevo, I didn't have to register to leave a comment, and when you click on my name alonside my comment no one can see any of my personall details, apart from my name and I think it highly unlikly that I will ever run into the blogger anyway.

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

I'm pretty sure that my 'attempt' to post a comment and having it rejected because I did not sign in means I have to register. That and the above rule stating that I cannot post anonymously.