So, what does your wife think?

In your opinion, what does your wife think of your model railroading?

• I'm single, I can do what I like!

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • She hates it with a passion, and wishes I'd stop

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • She ignores it, and hopes the fad will pass

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • She's occasionally makes the odd nice comment, provided I don't spend the mortgage

Votes: 69 29.0%
  • She's supportive and is happy to admit it to her friends

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • She likes it, and even joins in a bit here and there

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • She's probably a better model railroader than me, and certainly more keen

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My beloved is my best modeling companion, though motherhood, home-schooling and housekeeping have stood in the way a bit these past few years. She's always been supportive, even when money was tight. Oh, and my mother-in-law lives with us too...7 years now. Only adjustment I had to make for Mom was paint, she's very allergic to Floquil fumes. It's good to see that it's not a real problem for a large percentage of the group.

Dec 10, 2007
So What Does Your Wife Think?

The wife is anxious to see me be able to get the layout started,just waiting for my disability claim to be approved.She plans on helping put some buildings and car kits together.She may even help with the scenery on the layout.I am in HO Scale,and she loves the track plan that we came up with,with the help of a friend in the X Trax Cad yahoo group who drew up the plan.

logicman

Greybeard
Apr 30, 2008
Kent, UK.
I miss my wife - where can I buy a telescopic sight?

No, but seriously, I am divorced long since, but although I am free to do as I wish in my own home, I'd give up at least some of my hobbies for the sake of a happy marriage.

:wave:

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
My wife and I may have an unusual "deal"; she wants to furnish and decorate doll houses, so we came up with an idea - when I find an unusual structure for the layout, I will reproduce the structure in 1:12 as a dollhouse model for her to work on in detail. She in turn will work on decorating the layout structure to match the larger version.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Considering what a lousy decorator I am...you bet! :mrgreen:

One caveat, however; I told her "no chintz curtains in the loco cabs." A guy has to have some standards, after all.

Did I mention she paints and is a qualified mechanic, too? :thumb:

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I'm only 13, so I ain't got a wife. Lucky me, haha.

Yeah,,,but it's like rocketing down a steep mountain road with no brakes - you might as well enjoy the ride while you can, because you know exactly what the end is going to be like and how fast it's coming at you. :mrgreen:

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Yea, Im like you Packers, but Im a few years older, and the girl I like is going to Norhern MN for school, my freind has already offered both of us with our trucks to help her move, so that can only mean one thing, DMIR RAILFANNING!!!!!! Or at least whatever equipment will be left.

bob_suruncle

Feb 13, 2007
Paris ON
www.parisjunctionhobbies.com
My wife is a saint.... not only does she put up with me but she supports my many hobby interests (model railroads being just one of many.... which is what happens when you own a hobby shop). She allows me to spend on all of my hobbies as long as I dont get silly and never questions the debit statement..... the trick is that if I ever want something over $50 or so I just ask her if she is okay before I purchase so she can be part of the decision process.... not because I need permission, just so we both always know whats going on. 20+ year of marriage = we know each other well.

Wiredup

Dec 8, 2007
I posted on this before with how my wife supports and helps out.

But after reading a few other comments about 'compromise' and what they had to give up.... I consider myself lucky!

hobbies:
Model roading (as long as I have the condo payment in on time every month she helps out and don't raise a fuss)
photography (pretty cheap for us since I don't lust for more gear and got what I need... but the camera body did fail on me this week)
music ie: guitars (this one she questions... finacially because of how expensive it is and how much gear I want, but she loves the fact that I get out and create/play with the guys)
xbox (wishes I would stop playing...but then she'd have to give up rock-band)
cars (not toy ones, real ones. but seeing as how thats my job...at least I love my job)
cars (toy ones. I wanna get a nice RC car soon... I've been collecting diecast for years, but I'm thinkin of getting a nice Porsche to chase the cat with!)

Lepercan

Jul 17, 2005
Eastern Oklahoma
I'm a papermodeler. My wife thinks I spend too much time on it, but supports me in it as she (usually) knows where I am and what I'm up to. How is it that the older we get the more we sound like little boys?
Lep

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I'm a papermodeler. My wife thinks I spend too much time on it, but supports me in it as she (usually) knows where I am and what I'm up to. How is it that the older we get the more we sound like little boys?
Lep

Perhaps because we had the happiest times of our lives when we were those little boys. :cool:

GWoodle

Oct 31, 2008
Nashville TN
Perhaps because we had the happiest times of our lives when we were those little boys. :cool:

At times, I wish I had a time machine to go back & stop the world to when I was about 10.
1) All the grandparents are still around & healthy enough to have fun with them. Parents are pretty cool, too.
2) Discounts on travel, meals, Disney? for 10yr olds.
3) Since I was 10 in the 1960's the railroads would still be running passenger trains. No mergers yet, so my home road still continues.
4) I'm not sure what age you begin to remember historical events, the world as it was, all the cool stuff boys had to play with.
5) No worries about work, girls, other stuff.