Scratchbuilt detail parts

Gary S.

I have seen some really nice detail parts in the LHS. But this stuff is expensive! 55 gallon drums are about a buck apiece. So, I've been trying my hand at building some of this stuff.

I would love to see what kind of detail parts you guys build. I need ideas! I will get the thread kicked off with a few things I have built. Remember, I just got started so I haven't done much, mostly just "messin' around" and learning some techniques. All the stuff still needs paint and/or weathering

Here is a loading dock with stairs carved out of pink foam, some tanks, a couple of acetylene bottles made out of plastic rod, and a handful of 55 gallon drums that I turned from plastic tube.... chucked it up in a drill motor like a lathe and cut them with the tip of an exacto knife. Only problem is, I made them slightly too big. The drum on the left corner of the loading dock is a drum from a structure kit.

Attachments

• details barrels.JPG
    details barrels.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 215

Gary S.

Here is some more stuff, some pallets and boxes and a crate

Attachments

• details pallets.JPG
    details pallets.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 196

ezdays

Out AZ way
Great stuff. I can't contribute, mainly because I don't think I'd attempt that in N scale. It's hard enough handling parts that come in kits or as accessories without building them from scratch.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not to say I wouldn't like to try someday...:D :D

GeorgeHO

Your drums look far better than the kit drum, and your loading platform stuff looks good too. I agree that the drums seem slightly tall in proportion to their diameters, but overall they look good. Check around at the local crafts store (Michaels, AC Moore, etc) for stuff you can use to make things. I just bought some wood that seems just right for individual lumber boards laying around, and probably could be used for fencing or siding if you want a highly detailed structure. They also had some wooden pickle barrels and spools to use to simulate cables or heavy wires for flatcar loads.

Tad

I scratchbuilt the MU stands.

abr.sized.jpg

and these spark arresters.

abj.jpg

abk.jpg

abn.sized.jpg

This is an N scale MoPac 531 GP18 project that I am working on.

Gary S.

Those spark arrestors are amazingly small! Did you use a magnifying glass to build them? Great job!

Anybody else have anything they want to show off? Loading dock items... crates, boxes, bags, freight

Machine shop tools?

Conveyors? Junk piles? Railroad junk?

Anyone else tried to make 55 gallon drums?

I'd love to see pics of the stuff you guys use to dress up your industries.

Gary S.

Here are a few other things.

A pump and some piping for the tank farm, and some loads from the machine shop to go on flat cars.

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 202
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 189

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Gary, you don't need your LHS for details, that's for sure! You do beautiful miniature work. Your 55 gallon drums make me envious and I love the tank farm piping. Beautiful!
Ralph

jon-monon

This was done ages ago and entered in a gauge photo contest. Jugs of shine, still and instruments are scratch built from brass. I gave away the still but have the other parts somewhere.

normal_stillsmksm.jpg

jon-monon

Most of the junk in the back of this truck was scratch built, including the model T engine block to the left.

pict4341.jpg

Gary S.

Wow! Great stuff, that is what I want to see more of!

Being new to the hobby, here is what strikes me as being the most important aspect of modeling: It is the paint/weathering and the added detail items that matter.

The most expertly conceived and constructed structure lacking good paint and lacking detail items will pale in comparison to a mediocre structure with superb paint, weathering, and added detail.

I'm also coming to the conclusion that EVERYTHING on a layout should be painted. It should all at the very least get a washing of dilute black and then a dry-brushing of a lighter color, however subtle these may be.

I suppose this doesn't apply to ground cover and trees, and to the tops of the rails, but pretty much everything else. Now, I'm not saying that a layout that doesn't follow my precept is a bad layout, I'm just saying that the paint is what seperates the "astounding" from the merely "good".

How do the rest of you feel about this?