Scratchbuilt CRR of NJ 2-8-0 camelback class I5.

Bill Nelson

That is a hadsome build, very nice, and my do you have a lot of locomotives. My Ho RR's highest engine # is 22, altough I have a couple Southern interchange engines, three locomotives at the club, and perhaps 9 Hon3 locomotives, and 3 on3 locomotives, and God alone knows how many locomotives are in the shops, but in anycase, you have a handsome fleet there.

I keep trying to convince myself I have enough locomotives (it is a fact, on a RR like mine I can only run one at a time, and while I will eventually have six throttles available, getting more than three crews in my RR room will be a streatch). the fact is at home the better running locomotives are the ones that get run. at the club the sound locomotives get run most, and the better running of those get run most of all.

but it is just too much fun to build locomotives.

Nelson

toptrain1

* Bill I am 68 years old, and have been playing with and acquiring trains since I got out of the military at 21. I was a Blue jacket. Joined at 17 and got out at 21. My old ones I had when I went in weren't there when I got out. 47 years of getting trains. I have a bunch.
frank

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

I can relate to that as well I'm a 1955 model myself, On my own RR most of my locomotives are tiny old brass imports. All available space is full of lead, to get more pulling power for steep grades, and most of them have old open frame motors, and would need remotoring to do DCC. I would have never done any DCC except they run DCC on the standard gauge at the club, and so I started messing with DCC. It is not worth it in my book, except for the sound decoders. Tsunamis are dual mode, so they will run on DC. So far the only sound locomotive I use at home is an Hon3 Backstone C-19 that came from the factory with a sound decoder. It sounds so good I want to add a tsunami to a westside C-16 that I have allready remotored, so I can double head them. I may put dound decoders in both of my Southern interchange locomotives, my little geared locomotives, and 4-4-0s will all remain DC. Some folks think the more simplified wiring for DCC is a pluss, but I've been doing block wiring with six throttles for 40 years, and to me it is easier than programing a decoder.

Your Bachman 2-8-0 must be an older model than mine, mine have tender pick up, and six wires between the tender and the locomotive. the new ones The new ones are a ******** to work on, but have a fantastic mechanism. In any case, your conversion work is awesome, you have caprued the look of the locomotive, that takes an understanding of the original, and lots of modeling skill, you done good congratulations.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

I can't assemble my fleet like that; don't have a big engine facility like that, have three samll turntables kitbashed out of Atlas units. One of them is dual gauge. all three engine facilities are somewhat cramped. if all of the locomotives on my layout went home at the same tme, I doubt there would be room in the three engine facilities; and that doesn't count the ones in the shops.

Ne;son

toptrain1

Bill mine is just a place to run trains with 2 mainlines. I have entrance and exit tracks that lead into the 4 track yard where I store made up trains. When I only have 6 trains made up and on the layout all have a place . Two to run 4 to store. My exit track is long enough to pull a train out of the yard and wait for a clear main line track. this open a spot in the yard for a exiting train to come into. I keep to small trains up in a corner yard for running on the outside main for quick runs a few times around the train board. I have a exit and a entry track so another trains can wait of the exit while the train on the inside track goes into the entry, so 7 trains.
toptrain

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Mine is muti-level, 3-4 levels depending on where and how you count them. As I am rebuilding it my Narrow gauge, most of which will be on shelfs on the sloped ceiling (I have knee walls like you do), is loop to loop, and my standard gauge is runs from a point at the narrow gauge interrchange, to a loop at the other end of the system, with my interchange with the Southern in the middle, so I am set up for full operations serving the logg camps, iron ,and coal mines on the narrow gauge, and the lumber mill, coke ovens and iron furnaces on the standard gauge.

Most of my stuff I get cause it fits the theme (excepting my little Linsdy deisel that was given to me). in the past, all my operations have been point to point, although I'm adding a return loop to the bottom deck, which will allow me to turn passenger trains easily. on my upper deck, I'm putting in a wye, so I can turn a passenger train before it gets to my upper (Southern) stub ended terminal, so it can back into state line, and be ready to go back down the nountain.

toptrain1

Well you've seen My CNJ I5 camelback. Here is my I4. I finished the I5 first, and this after. Recently finished a LVRR 4-4-0c #5.
frank

IMG_1148 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Beautiful setup, what a blast that must be to run. It would be nice seeing pictures of video from a train mounted camera, on the front of the lead locomotive. :)

toptrain1

It will be a awhile before I can run my trains and make a movie. To much going on right now.
frank

Well the attic has another pair of windows. One of which will have a air conditioner in it. Still all is not right yet. I need to put a door between the attic hallway and the train room. I will make a single pocket door between the two. I'll have to move the layout 2 1/2 feet to build the pocket part. I will get right on it.
frank