SCORPION SHIPYARDS beta test build of the Colonial Viper MK-I

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
It is time for another installment of photos. I am now working on the engines. I have started with the high engine first. SInce there are quite a few photos, I will be making a few posts just for the high engine.

Here are the parts sheets for all three engines, as well as the alternative intake skins.
20200327_111823.jpg

I started with the exhaust.
Here are the parts for the base of the exhaust.
20200327_113236.jpg

The base is assembled.
20200327_113643.jpg

20200327_113654.jpg

The exhaust is assembled.
20200327_122830.jpg

With this assembly of this engine, make certain that you line up the seams of all the parts, so that it will "draw" a solid line through the engine.

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
On to the main body of the engine.
20200327_132231.jpg

Here is the collar that goes between the main body of the engine and the intake.
20200327_133148.jpg

The collar is attached.
20200327_133651.jpg

Here is the exhaust, the spacer between the exhaust and the main body of the engine and the main body of the engine.
20200327_134712.jpg

The spacer is attached.
20200327_134804.jpg

The exhaust is attached.
20200327_134924.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Now for the greebling. Here are the parts for it.

20200327_151209.jpg

When you apply part 9a, make certain that it lays on the lengthways centerline of the engine, in the exhaust.
I did add a little extra details by raising squares that are on top of the part.
20200327_152029.jpg

Here is a side view of it.
20200327_152128.jpg

I did the same thing with part 4a
20200327_154335.jpg

I apply parts 1c (intake clamps) and 3a (collar pipes)
20200327_161440.jpg

I shaped the intake.
20200327_175733.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
That looks great! :)

When I took a look at the fan texture I noticed that you can in fact implement @zathros 's idea to add a spinning fan inside, even on the high engine. The space is sufficient and the graphics show the complete lamellae. You may have to cut them a tad shorter to compensate for the layer thickness (the thicker the fan the smaller the usable diameter of the intake) but in theory it should work. :)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
That looks great! :)

When I took a look at the fan texture I noticed that you can in fact implement @zathros 's idea to add a spinning fan inside, even on the high engine. The space is sufficient and the graphics show the complete lamellae. You may have to cut them a tad shorter to compensate for the layer thickness (the thicker the fan the smaller the usable diameter of the intake) but in theory it should work. :)
Thank you! While building this, I am mapping out the areas where and what I can greeble. Layering the fans is something that I am planning on doing. As for being able to make them actually spin is something that I have not considered. However, it is certainly not out the realm of possibilities. With that being said though, I do think that layering the fan blades, would give a bit of added strength to the connections of the component as a whole. Like I mentioned before, this is something that i will be working on the next time I build this model.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Making them would be a "PIA", but the vanes really do "Pop" inside of those intakes. :)
Rhaven is the Master of PIA designs, so I guess we may look forward to his own take on this model. I can already hear the little gears spinning in his head..! ;):D
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the compliment! :Drinks: YES, yes, I am indeed the MASTER of PIA design! :hide:
I have to say that I pride myself on such. It, in many ways, has became a strong trait of mine, over the years. Many time, when I have told people about this wonderful hobby and what all you can do with it, have asked me when am I going to stop playing around and get into "REAL MODEL" building? I would respond with "What do you mean by "REAL MODEL" building? They would all same the very same thing; "when are you going to start building "real models"? I would then ask, what is a "real model"? They would respond; "PLASTIC" models. Because, you can get very detailed with plastic models, where you cannot with paper. So, I responded; The definition of a model is a representation of something REGARDLESS of the material or medium. So, paper model building is "REAL MODEL" building. WIth that being said, I have endeavoured to make models as "realistic" looking and to put in as much detail as possible, regardless of the genre. :hide:

Danscrew

Danscrew
Oct 10, 2011
Rouyn-Noranda, Québec
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the compliment! :Drinks: YES, yes, I am indeed the MASTER of PIA design! :hide:
I have to say that I pride myself on such. It, in many ways, has became a strong trait of mine, over the years. Many time, when I have told people about this wonderful hobby and what all you can do with it, have asked me when am I going to stop playing around and get into "REAL MODEL" building? I would respond with "What do you mean by "REAL MODEL" building? They would all same the very same thing; "when are you going to start building "real models"? I would then ask, what is a "real model"? They would respond; "PLASTIC" models. Because, you can get very detailed with plastic models, where you cannot with paper. So, I responded; The definition of a model is a representation of something REGARDLESS of the material or medium. So, paper model building is "REAL MODEL" building. WIth that being said, I have endeavoured to make models as "realistic" looking and to put in as much detail as possible, regardless of the genre. :hide:
Your right RB
I think that paper modeling is more difficult than plastic. You make something in 3D with a 2D thing. Isn't great. Ok....with plastic you can make some realistic diorama but, you ca do almost the same thing with paper. You just have to be more creative. IT IS REAL MODEL !
By the way......your model come along great . Just impatient to get to it.

ennder

Jul 26, 2008
There is a problem with the "PLASTIC" argument. "They" didn't get detailed with the plastic, the model company got detailed with the plastic. Mostly, "They" just assemble and paint, not much better then a "Paint-by-Number" in my opinion. Wear as, with paper you have to make each and every part, and if you don't like a color or how a part fits, fix it or recolor it on the computer and print another. You can also change the scale with paper models. I would like to see them do THAT with a purchased plastic kit. :laughrolling::laughrolling:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Here are parts for the side engines. Since the main body and the exhaust (for the most part) are the same, I just skipped ahead to the air-intakes.
20200328_125457.jpg

Here is the outer skin for the intake. The piece of paper to the side is a very thin piece of paper that I use to seal the seam.
20200328_125841.jpg

The inner and outer skins of he intake are assembled.
20200328_133733.jpg

I slid the inner skin inside the outer skin and attached the back-cap.
20200328_134926.jpg

20200328_134933.jpg

I dry fitted the wing and placed engine in the engine mount, to align the placement of the intake.
20200328_135202.jpg

20200328_135300.jpg

The main assembly of the engine is finished.
20200328_143941.jpg

20200328_144311.jpg

I added all of the greebles.
20200328_162952.jpg

20200328_163007.jpg

20200328_173037.jpg

20200328_173042.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
So, now it is time to mount the engines and wings.

I attached the tail to the high engine.
20200328_225350.jpg

I attached the wings to the engines.
(*NOTE* You should mount the engines to the engine mount first, then mount the wings to the engines. *NOTE*)
20200329_002751.jpg

This part covers the open space between the side engine and the engine mount.
20200329_004454.jpg

20200329_005031.jpg

There is still quite a bit of work that I need to do on this. However, I wanted to see (and show) what it looks like on the launch rail.
20200329_010619.jpg

Here is a comparison shot of both the @Revell-Fan version and the @sirius version.
20200329_010716.jpg

Please stay tuned to your local Colonial Broadcast Network for further updates as they come in.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
There is a problem with the "PLASTIC" argument. "They" didn't get detailed with the plastic, the model company got detailed with the plastic. Mostly, "They" just assemble and paint, not much better then a "Paint-by-Number" in my opinion. Wear as, with paper you have to make each and every part, and if you don't like a color or how a part fits, fix it or recolor it on the computer and print another. You can also change the scale with paper models. I would like to see them do THAT with a purchased plastic kit. :laughrolling::laughrolling:
Not only that, but with plastic, if you make a mistake or break a part, you have to buy a brand new kit (that is if the kit is still available). However, with paper/cardstock, if you make a mistake or break something, you can (for the most part) print out new parts and start over again (which I have done countless times). Not only that, but if you want to make multiples; with plastic, you have to go out and buy more kits (if they are available), with paper/cardstock, you just print out another set(s) of templates. The best overall comparison between plastic and paper/cardstock model is cost. Most plastic models are now $20.00 - $50.00 (depending on what you are looking for). On the other hand, (with the exception of the commercial models, which are still relatively cheaper than plastic) paper/cardstock model templates are free. The majority of the cost is the paper/cardstock (cheap), ink (cheap), paint (depending on the type and brand, for the most part is cheap), and glue (cheap).