Sandcrawler

tiluchi

Hey there again... Here I'm with my next model. Its another small proyect. Short, easy and quick.
After finishing the escape pod in wich R2-D2 and C-3PO ejected towards Tatooine, these were "found" later by some Jawas to be stored in a Sandcrawler.

sandcrawler2ndestablish.jpg

So... starting with the base of the whole thing. This is an important piece of the whole model, because here is where almost all the other components will go. So I made it strong enough. I reinforced the interior with cardstock. Like the model its small it wont need exagerated reinforcements or thick materials. Here i reinforced the top and the bottom and then i put an extra piece in the middle to hold the shape. that's all here.

dsc04617y.jpg

dsc04620y.jpg

Then, the tail section. This piece is simple so it doesn't need much reinforcement but a piece of cardboard at the bottom. This is just to keep the shape until its glued to the rest of the model. Plus, it gives extra contact surface for the glue.

dsc04621yw.jpg

dsc04622f.jpg

The middle section of the vehicle is also very simple. Just straight angles and a couple of little boxes that goes on the sides. Here it can be attached a reinforcement at the base just like the tail section. This is just to make the assemble a little bit more easy at the end.

dsc04623g.jpg

dsc04624gg.jpg

Next in line is the frontal piece.... same thing... clean straight lines.. no complications. And just like the rest, a reinforcement is added, but this time it goes in the side that connects with the middle section.

dsc04625h.jpg

dsc04626m.jpg

Once all the modules are ready, the assembly of the model beggins. Here i decided to start from the rear of the vehicle. I assure to keep some presure on the middle section so it will get well fixed to the base. Then the front section and ready.

dsc04627dk.jpg

Ok.... this is a short progress for a short proyect, so the 2° part and the conclusion its ahead.

Un saludo a todos.
Tiluchi.

tiluchi

Thanks... more is on the way... and i dont think that im putting extra work on this one. I'll just keep it simple.

tiluchi

Ok people... back again...
Once the main body is ready, it only remains to finish the lower part of the vehicle. Next in line are the tracks, wich are 8 of them.
Each track is made out of two parts, the body and the wrapper. I started with the 8 bodies, they're easy to do.

Then to complete the module, the wrapper is attached. The model comes originaly with only one wrapper per track, but this way, it leaves one face of the track in plain white. And it looks awful, so I printed another set of wrappers. First I placed one set with the patterns inwards and then attached the second set on top of it with the patterns outwards, and the result was much more pleasing.
I did it in this specific order because when I tryed to glue the two wrapping first and then attach them to the body, this ones dont get the right shape and get wrinkles.
You have to perform this operation in that order, so as seen in the image below, because if both wrappers stick first and then the body, the tracks wont get the right shape and they shrivel.

After that, attach the tracks to the piece that keeps them in pares. Also there are two other modules that comes in the bottom of the vehicle.
At the end you get a configuration like so... Once everything is ready. Glue all to the model and thats it.

The completed model is very showy. The texture is very well made and has a good finish. The final dimensions are 14.5 cm long, 5 cm wide and 7 cm high. It is a small model ... but looks good.

Below, photos of the finished model

And finally ... I got a little artistic, but only because it it was a good day outside.

Hope you like it ... thanks for stopping by .... leave a comment on your way out and thank you very much

Greetings to all and on to the next model ...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

VEERY NICE!!!

I like the "nature pics". I first thought the first outdoor pic was a still from the movie and the second was your attempt to recreate the scene. Really good!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

dnalor

Yes, first outside picture rules.
you almost don't see it's a model..
Hide the lights under the wheels and it's perfect.

it's a great build!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You did a GREAT JOB on this project.
I am to total agreement with everyone else here. The "NATURE" shots are REALLY GOOD!!!

I am looking forward to seeing your next project!!!

Loved the Sandcrawler, especially the way the tread units were done. VERY convincing. Nice outdoor photgraphy, too. What sort of camera setup did you use? Very well done...no blurring. I'm looking at acquiring a decent miniature photography setup myself...and am gather ideas for it. (what brand, type of lense, etc...)

tiluchi

Thanks everybody.... this is really a nice project to do. And it photograph so well hehehe... something hard to achieve with other models. I really had fun with thi one.

I think i'll try to do something like this with the following models...

Nice outdoor photgraphy, too. What sort of camera setup did you use? Very well done...no blurring. I'm looking at acquiring a decent miniature photography setup myself...and am gather ideas for it. (what brand, type of lense, etc...)

Well...i used a common PAS (point and shoot) camera. Is a Sony Cyber-shot model DSC W110 with a Carl Zeiss lens. It's not a professional camera, and I'm not a professional photographer. I just try to take the photos with a good lighting and a steady shot. So, i place the camera in the position that i want, then i set the auto-shot so i dont have to press the button, wait and leave the camera alone, untouched, so the photo comes out as clear as possible.