S.H.A.D.O. SID from TV series UFO

dirkpitt289

I love the old 70s TV series UFO and am trying to find all the respected kits. The one I can't seem to find is SID. Anyone know where I can find it or has one in their file stash? Here is a picture of SID for those too young to remember this show. SID from UFO.gif

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What a coincidence that you mentioned SID. The show was in syndication a couple of months ago in Germany. It was very 70s and I needed some time to adapt to this new "viewing experience" (especially the fancy colours and hairstyles ;) ). However, what immediately got my intention (beside the Skydiver) was SID. Like Ranger 3 it is also on my list. It should be much easier to make than R3 because it is a very boxy design. :)

Last edited:

dirkpitt289

What a coincidence that you mentioned SID. The show was in syndication a couple of months ago in Germany. It was very 70s and I needed some time to adapt to this new "viewing experience" (especially the fancy colours and hairstyles ;) ). However, what immediately got my intention (beside the Skydiver) was SID. Like Ranger 3 it is also on my list. It should be much easier to make than R3 because it is a very boxy design. :)
I'm rather new to paper modeling. I got adventurous this week by taking a paper model and changing its colors and insignias. I wouldn't mind learning about creating them but I have no clue where to begin.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Start with the little things, easy shapes are best. The models from Canon are perfect for beginners. Then you may try some of the models from Julius Perdana. BTW, your Berzerk is coming along nicely! :)

Alright, back to SID. I checked the Resources again and to my surprise there was this:

http://www.zealot.com/resources/space-intruder-detector.488/

I didn't find it in the first place because I was looking for the acronym and not for the full designation. :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You need at least one 3D modeling program and a graphic editor. There are several ones available. You can get them for free or for a fee. ;) Choose whatever you like best. Well-known 3D programs are Rhino, SketchUp, Blender. Graphic editors are used to create textures and to eventually manipulate the unfold on the canvas. You may use Photoshop, Gimp, CorelDRAW. The model is virtually built in the 3D program, textured and then unfolded.

If you delve into the matter you may get to Pepakura sooner or later. This is a special unfolding program which has two windows: One showing the completed model and one showing the unfolded parts. You may manipulate the unfold by moving parts around, sub-dividing them into smaller parts or joining them to bigger parts. You may also change the texture map if necessary. It is no modeling program but serves only to manipulate the unfold and give you a view of the finished model as a guide.

If you want to start making an own model I suggest to try free software first to get a feel for it.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
When I was a teenager, I made them with a ruler and a pencil compass, and string. I was making boat models, and I would use string to fair the hulls, and draw the former lines. It can be done, but you must be able to think in 3 dimensions, if not, no CAD program, or any program will give you that ability. As I became much older, I started studying how other people made models, in particular, "shapes", because a model is a collection of shape primitives. Once you can see a model as a collection of it's parts, you make a single part, and keep each consecutive part to scale with the previous part. I would always have reference points. In the end, you end up with a model. They get better the more you do it. ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I have some really old models, S.I.D. and a Shadow Mobile. S.I.D would work perfectly... Shadow Mobile would take some work...Watch this while I look for them

Found em...OMG, I didn't realize how old they were...Must have been done back in the '90s with POVray...
Translation import has quite a few artifacts, but nothing that would stop them from being made into paper, with some work OF COURSE!

SID.png
Shado-Mobile.png

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Gandolf50 , that SID looks great! I have printed Jaybat's model to tinker with it a bit. I'm curious to see how it turns out and how it can be improved. My first thought was "vectorise it". ;) SID has become a favourite for me because it could have been a real concept design from NASA. Even the colours match actual space suits.

Around 1986 Revell released several fictious models inspired by Reagan's SDI program. I still have this one:

327318_orig.jpg

http://fantastic-plastic.com/laser-battle-stations-by-revell-of-germany.html

They are a little beat up, the decals have yellowed heavily, but there is still enough of them available to justify a restoration.

SID looks like it could fit in this series nicely. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
@Gandolf50 , that SID looks great! I have printed Jaybat's model to tinker with it a bit. I'm curious to see how it turns out and how it can be improved. My first thought was "vectorise it". ;) SID has become a favourite for me because it could have been a real concept design from NASA. Even the colours match actual space suits.

Thanks!
I agree though I haven't looked at the resource... but all the older decent models that are image files could do with being "Vectorized"... I tried to talk one of the designers to save his vector image included as part of the PDF, but I could never get him to understand that it did NOT require learning 3d software, they were drawn in Corel but saved as .jpegs, even at 50% size they were "Jagged", if you wanted to up-scale they were just a blur!

PS... Take and get yourself a pack of waterslide decal sheets. Photo the old ones and "Vectorize" them in LARGE scale...and print in actual scale. They work great unless your decal has to be white! In that case, I print in a LIGHT GREY, just enough to get an image to print... then it will show up as "Almost White" in your decal.

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's already my plan when I'm getting back to them. Finding the models in a buried crate brought back fond memories. I almost forgot I had these. :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I put up some recolors of the skydiver and the mobile that are a little different than Gary Pilsworth's originals. Should be in the resources section soon.