Rocketman--Commando Cody Serial Picture--any paper models?

Lee Clifton

Wisdom and Kindness, A Zealot Sage
In the old serial pictures there was a character called Rocketman way before the Rocketeer. He had a helmet and rocket pack as well. I know Dave that creates Kool Wheels models has done a Commando Cody or Rocketman helmet model. Has anyone seen any other models like the rocket pack?

Thanks
Lee

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hum... If I google for "Rocketman" the majority of the results lead me to our dear member RocketmanTan... :(

Lee Clifton

Thanks Guys! I downloaded the Rocketeer pack but it is the 40s or 50s "ROCKETMAN" pack I'm looking for. Gandolf50 thanks for that video. Toooo Funny!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I remember that show. They strung high tension wires and a dummy, full size, would go sliding an it really looked like he was flying. I remember thinking his butt cheeks were probably as cooked as Bacon after each flight!! I watched that show whenever it came on, but by the time I was old enough, it wasn't shown much, but the flying sequences to this day really added a level of realism. These guys were trying hard.

One side note, Leonard Nimoy was in that show, and his credential at Star Fleet should be checked. Those Vulcans live a lot longer than they say. The Up and Down controls were a little sketchy too, but that's what stimulates the young mind.;)

BaconButt.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I don't know why it wasn't shown much on TV. I think they really were Movie Theater shorts, when kids paid one price and spent the whole afternoon in the theater throwing popcorn and drinks at each other, with teenagers necking in the background, those were part of the "Gold 'Ol days!" Before my time. By the time I got to the theaters, it was sit still and shut up. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I don't know why it wasn't shown much on TV. I think they really were Movie Theater shorts, when kids paid one price and spent the whole afternoon in the theater throwing popcorn and drinks at each other, with teenagers necking in the background, those were part of the "Gold 'Ol days!" Before my time. By the time I got to the theaters, it was sit still and shut up. :)

Commander Cody

Yeah, that's where I saw it the Kids Saturday Matinees, trying to watch these under a rain of popcorn, and kids running up and down yelling and the like. Commander Cody Sky Marshal of the Universe/ Hop-Along Kassidy / Rin Tin Tin / The Lone Ranger / Sky King oh I loved that one... and I don't know why... I think it might have something to do with his niece
sa1354.jpg
oh yeah that was it!!
GOOD TIMES!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Commander Cody

Yeah, that's where I saw it the Kids Saturday Matinees, trying to watch these under a rain of popcorn, and kids running up and down yelling and the like. Commander Cody Sky Marshal of the Universe/ Hop-Along Kassidy / Rin Tin Tin / The Lone Ranger / Sky King oh I loved that one... and I don't know why... I think it might have something to do with his niece
sa1354.jpg
oh yeah that was it!!
GOOD TIMES!

This video should be ZEALOT's mantra!!! ;)

Lee Clifton

When I was a kid there was a Saturday afternoon TV show that had old scifi and monster movies, cartoons, and a couple of chapters of the serials every week. The Rocketman was always one of my favorites. I have three of them on DVD, King of the Rocketmen, Radar Men From the Moon (Commando Cody and Leonard Nimoy) and Zombies of the Stratosphere. I still need to find the Commando Cody Sky Marshal of the Universe DVD.

Lee Clifton

I was wrong. Leonard Nimoy was in Zombies of the Stratosphere. Commando Cody was in Radar Men From the Moon and Commando Cody Sky Marshal of the Universe. Cody was played by two different actors and he wore a mask like the Lone Ranger in Sky Marshal. One of the bad guys in Radar Men From the Moon was Clayton Moore who later played the Lone Ranger. Zathros I loved the effects in these serials too. They were created by the Lydecker Brothers who did the effects in many of the serial pictures and worked on a lot of the Irwin Allen TV shows and movies including Lost in Space.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I always thought they should have had more guys on high strung wires flying around, the could have had a set up where he hooked onto a cable on a pole and took a long seping turn, coming to a landing. Sure, a few guys would have died before they got it straight, but just think how good our memories would feeel.

The high tension wire was used in "Lost in SPace", they used two wires and slide the model a very long ways, giving it a very realistic approach. Thhis technique is still employed, now the wires are digitally remooved. The how wires holding uo President Trump are removed, so no one ses the puppeteer wires leading back to who knows where. They could lead back to himself, which would make him a sentient wood headed presidence, which would set a new precedence. At least we knew with Busch it was Dick Cheney.

His name sounds like a rash, you go to the doctor, and he says, apply this ointment 10 times daily and apply vigorously, you have "Dick Cheney". :mooner::ass-kicking::sticktongue::wink::drinksmile::biggrin:

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
I always thought they should have had more guys on high strung wires flying around, the could have had a set up where he hooked onto a cable on a pole and took a long seping turn, coming to a landing. Sure, a few guys would have died before they got it straight, but just think how good our memories would feeel.

The high tension wire was used in "Lost in SPace", they used two wires and slide the model a very long ways, giving it a very realistic approach. Thhis technique is still employed, now the wires are digitally remooved. The how wires holding uo President Trump are removed, so no one ses the puppeteer wires leading back to who knows where. They could lead back to himself, which would make him a sentient wood headed presidence, which would set a new precedence. At least we knew with Busch it was Dick Cheney.

His name sounds like a rash, you go to the doctor, and he says, apply this ointment 10 times daily and apply vigorously, you have "Dick Cheney". :mooner::ass-kicking::sticktongue::wink::drinksmile::biggrin:

Actually Z there was one movie that had tons of actors / actresses on wires. See the Carousel Scene From Logan's Run:

The making of Logan's Run - Carousel scene

What is amazing is that only a couple of takes were done for this scene. The first time I understand was a disaster.

Hey Z this guy just wants a paper model of the Rocketman from back in the day. Let's try to keep the politics out of it. Personally, I think Washington on both sides needs a roto rooter. I go to this site to get away from the politics of the day - that incidentally varies like a teenage girl in decision making mode for clothing or other stuff.

Let's get back to the modeling and problem solving.

Take care.

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Oh my God, I forgot how cheesy logan's Run was. I know the O.P. and what he wants. The use of wires in "Logan's Run" isn't what I mean when I talk about high strung wires, kind of the opposite, that kind of wire, tightened between a sling shot makes a great cheese slicer! :) . These, are still used in movies for some ship scenes, then digitally removed, so you never see them. Much easier to do these days. ;)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Oh my God, I forgot how cheesy logan's Run was. I know the O.P. and what he wants. The use of wires in "Logan's Run" isn't what I mean when I talk about high strung wires, kind of the opposite, that kind of wire, tightened between a sling shot makes a great cheese slicer! :) . These, are still used in movies for some ship scenes, then digitally removed, so you never see them. Much easier to do these days. ;)

OK I see what you mean sort of like what was done with the snowspeeder crashing scene in the "Empire Strikes Back". Logan's Run came to mind when you were talking about multiple actors in a scene on a wire setup. I'm not sure if this is the record number of people simultaneously on a wire setup. If not, I'm sure it's pretty close though.

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Last edited:

Lee Clifton

If I can find a 3D model of the Rocketman helmet or rocketpack can someone make a PDO and print me a PDF? I was on HobbyTown USA's site and they now have a 3D printer for under $300.00. I may have to finally learn 3D modeling just so I can make some custom action figure heads.
Thanks Lee

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You honestly could make one with a Dremel tool and two part Epoxy easier. The two part Epoxy will allow you to get close to the size fast. You cut and grind in features. That's using your noggin and hands and imagination. Too much work any other way for something to spend a fortune 3D printing.