Rivarossi Loco's

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Wow, I knew that you (Americans) ran bigger locos in the steam age than those found in Europe but the Big Boy is massive! I don't think any European line could have accomodated it ;)

toptrain1

Well this is not a plastic Rivarossi Allegany for I could not afford one. This is a old Akane brass model I got for less than the Rivarossi one. The Allegany is the biggest and most powerful of the last steam locomotives made. Two different railroads ran them but the one I remembered is the C&O Allegheny 2-6-6-6.
C&O 2-6-6-6.JPG

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, I knew that you (Americans) ran bigger locos in the steam age than those found in Europe but the Big Boy is massive! I don't think any European line could have accomodated it ;)

It probably would have sunk the U.K., or tilted it at least. I don't think Europe had enough coal to run it. ;)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
I had this mental picture on the UK as a see-saw & this loco sitting near Birmigham (don't pronounce the H ;) to prevent either the South of England or Scotland having a dip in the North Sea. :)

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
WRRy #10 is a Rivarossi 2 truck Heisler that Doc Tom had graciously donated to me along with a IHC Mogul.

Attachments

• 20150521_111502.jpg
    20150521_111502.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4

Doctor G

WRRy #10 is a Rivarossi 2 truck Heisler that Doc Tom had graciously donated to me along with a IHC Mogul.
Hey Tyler. Good to hear from you. Hope those old lokies are still running for you.

I went back in time with a 1910 Stearns Heisler on my current On30 Mini layout:

9RT0CK0.jpg

Doc Tom

Bill Nelson

Riverossi locomotives have been prominent on my RR since the beginning. I don't have good records going back that far, but My #2 had always been a Genoa. I had quite a few AHM J W Bowkwers on my roster at time, and have pieces in my project box. the big drawback for me for those locomotives were the oversize flanges, as I have a lot of code 55, 70, and 83 track. While lots of modifications had made my #2 run wonderfully, I replaced it with a PFM/United Original Reno, which was nearly Identical to the Genoa, so it is my new #2 like the modifications I did to my old #2, it for electrical pick up off of the insulated drivers and tender wheels, for 12 wheel pick up instead of six, a gear reduction motor, and improved driveshafts from the tender. when I aquired my new #2

this leaves only two Riverossi 3 truck Heislers on my active roster, and one is on long term loan to the club, in the keeping of Tom and Ken. one of those came from the C&S, and I can never remember which, without looking at the underside. the one from the C&S just had the truck mounted couplers removed from the truck cover plate, while the one that was original to the DG,CC & W RR had the extension of the metal cover plate cut off with a cutting wheel on a dremil. Very fine running critters, both have been remotored, the one Still for use on my own RR (nothing runs on my RR, as I am trying to empty out the farmhouse to sell it) and I have not started anything yet in the garage at the Lake, or the workshop in Houston texas. I have about 9x11 feet to work with at both locations, although there are a lot of restrictions on the available space in Houston, doors, windows, AC units. may eventually get much more space . the plan is to spend most of the time at the lake, retreating to Texas in the coldest months. Jennifer was considering working for part time for another 5 years, but did her last shift last night, as she was getting exposed to Covid regularly, I have about six risk factors, and our house down there is a tin one bath bungalow, with no possible way to isolate.

Bill Nelson

a video of DG CC & W RR #16 on the Clarksville Model Railroads old layout. #16 is a Riverossi 3 truck heisler. Cosmetically it has a stack taken from an AHM J W Bowker, which I believe was a Pocher product, but it used some parts that were identical to some Riverossi models. Mechanically it had a motor swap, with the motor coming from a Bachman 2-8-0. the stock motor ran fine on DC, if a tad too fast, but it drew too much current, and tripped the circuit breaker on the clubs Digitrax system.

the stock model just picked up power from four wheels on the locomotive, and very poorly from two wheels on the tender, so it Got all wheel pick up when I installed the Tsunami #1 sound decoder in it years ago.