Requesting a bit of help for my new layout

Brian

Dec 19, 2005
New Waverly,TX.
Good morning everyone, I'm gathering parts and pieces to begin construction of my first N scale layout in nearly 15 years. When I was a young teenager I built a small 3' X 3' corner layout in my bedroom that was basically a loop of track that I landscaped and had a few structures on. Now that I'm an adult and have a free room in my house that I have various collectibles and work on hobbies in I now wish to build a layout.

I already have the table and framework built.....it's 40" X 84". This allows me to walk around three sides of the layout unrestricted in my room...which is kinda small.

I've decided on a layout plan which I found in the book "101 track plans for model railroaders" (Kamblach Books) by Linn H Westcott. On page 16 there's a layout called "Jersey Valley Central RR" (plan #31) This is the layout I'd like to convert to N scale and build. I think it really allows me to have the mountain details I wish,quaint small town area, and a light industrial work area.

I do need help in stretching this track out for my table size though. The book says to divide the HO dimensions by 2 to get the N scale size.....but that would only allow me to build a 2' X 4' layout. Someone told me about Atlas's track software that would allow you to convert layout plans using Atlas track....and then the software would allow you to print out a shopping list of Atlas track pieces needed to construct the layout....... Is this how the software works? If so then would someone be willing to convert this track layout to fit my table dimensions?

I plan to use all Atlas code 80 nickel silver track sections for my layout and cork roadbed. I do already have a couple boxes of Atlas flextrack to help with a couple of the curves if need be......

Anyhow, I've been doing quite a bit of reading on this forum and I'm looking forward to sharing future pics of my layout as I progress.....but first I've got alot to learn...and I'm sure there's more questions I'll have at a later date.

THANKS, Brian :thumb:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Brian!
Welcome to the forum! :)
I've always found that it's better to reduce HO dimentions by 40%, rather than 50%...N scale is slightly bigger than 1/2 HO...
For instance, a 4x8 HO plan would be 29"x58" in N scale, or round it up to 5x2 1/2 fr.

C

Catt

Assuming that this trackplan is of the continous style I would reccomend that you do the end loops with as large a radius as you can get (use the flextrack then lay the track inbetween the end loops styreching then plan to fit your benchwork.

I am a rabid N scaler (and one of the mods on this forum :D ) and my advice is never shrink a HO layout down to the size of N scale if you can avoid it.You will have more room for your scenery this way and more train running space.

extra7000south

Aug 9, 2005
Ellisville, MS USA
101 Track Plans

Brian;
Welcome to the group.
I'm doing a small N scale plan from the same book.
Plan #10.....Pittsburgh, Midvale & Ironton RR.......probably in a 2X4 foot space.
I think the plan figures to be somewhere around 1.5X3, but I'm gonna expand it a bit. The book has lots of grat ideas!!!!!

Good luck with your plan, it's a nice one & keep us posted.

Happy Railroading.....:cool:

Brian

Dec 19, 2005
New Waverly,TX.
Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome! :wave:

I guess I'll just end up buying a variety of Atlas track and play with the layout to get it where I want. Hobby Lobby this week has all of thier train sets and train accessories on sale for 50% off.....so that's why I was anxious to get the layout planned ;)

I did hit a couple of Hobby Lobby stores this afternoon with my dad and a friend.....all three of us bought a crapload of train supplies :D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Brian: If you're reducing a 4x8 to 40x84, try an 80% reduction. or 75% (3/4), which makes the math easier. Then you reduce double track (and yard track) spacing to proper N scale.
Use the extra space for scenery and a protective barrier. Make a couple of viewing buildings where you leave of the nearest wall, detail the interior and look out from someone's room or office.
Other tricks are to put the track plan on the table at an angle. This takes the track away from being parallel with the edge.