Repair split axles on Bachmann's N scale 4-8-4 locomotives.

Ray Marinaccio

Loosen the front frame side rails screws and install the main weight sliding the light wires behind the frame side rails. Tighten the front frame side rails screws then install the main weight screw and pilot.

Attachments

• Nov22^35a.jpg
    Nov22^35a.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Nov22^34a.jpg
    Nov22^34a.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 63

ezdays

Out AZ way
Hey Ray, aside from the fact that this is a great step-by-step "how-to", the close-up shots are fantastic.:thumb: Clear and in focus. What are you using for a camera and lighting? I've got a lot to learn about taking pics. You've taught me a bunch about engines, now say a few words about your picture taking...:D:wave:

Ray Marinaccio

Hi Don, Thanks,
I use a cheap Polaroid PDC 1300 camera and am also amazed at the photos it takes.
I used it's macro and X2 zoom features for these photos.
As for lighting, I have a pair of halogen track lights that I set on the workbench that shine from each side about 6" from the subject.

leon

Hi Ray;
I have a o-6-o Bachman switcher where the back drivers pull apart and throws everything out of quarter. Would I have to use the same repair on this locomotive as you used on your 4-8-4 loco? If so, I am just wondering if the axels on my loco are the same as yours.

Thanks a Bunch,
Leon

Ray Marinaccio

Hi Leon,
The 0-6-0 locos are the same design, however the axle gears are smaller. The same procedure can be used to repair them.
If the gear is split all the way to the teeth it will not mesh properly. even with the sleeve on the collar, the crack will open back up when the axle is pressed in.
To fix that I ream the axle hole so the axle is a light press fit in the gear then use epoxy to hold the axle into the gear. I have done 4 0-6-0 and 3 2-8-2 locos (same size gear) with great results.

leon

Hi Ray;

I am about to try the fix on my loco with confidence(thanks to your article) but am still a little puzzeled. Do you still use the sleeve on the collar of the gear after you glue the axel in the gear or is this not necessary with this fix?

Thanks;
Leon

Ray Marinaccio

Hi Ray;

I am about to try the fix on my loco with confidence(thanks to your article) but am still a little puzzeled. Do you still use the sleeve on the collar of the gear after you glue the Axel in the gear or is this not necessary with this fix?

Thanks;
Leon
I do put the sleeve on as well as using the epoxy.
It should keep the gear stable and from cracking further.
When I put the sleeve over a gear with a crack that has gone into the teeth of the gear, I will put an alligator clip over the gear to make sure the crack stays closed until the Loc/Tite (or you can use epoxy here too) on the sleeve cures. then I will ream the hole of the gear so the axles are a light press fit.
This is a time consuming repair, but I haven't had a gear failure yet on a loco that has had the repair.

leon

Hi Ray;

I am now going to try to make the repair of my locomotive. First off, I have to find a supplier for the brass tubing. Cross my fingers and wish me luck!!!

Leon

Zebra2

Big Paul
Ray- I'm about to make this repair to my locomotive, and I have a couple of questions:
1.) Where did you get the 3mm brass tube? Was it from a K&S display at a hobby or hardware retailer? (I'm pretty sure Caboose Hobbies has it locally-haven't made it to town yet.)
2.) What type of Loc-Tite do you recommend? Red or blue? Thin, or gel?

Thank you for your help in advance, and thank you for an ingenious repair!

Ray Marinaccio

Thanks Paul,
Caboose Hobbies should have the correct size tubing.
Either Red or blue Loc-Tite will work. I used thin Loc-Tite but thick should work as well.
The gears on the locomotive shown in this thread have not failed yet.
Happy modeling