Redesigning and old friend's bad guy...

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
So here's the story: Waaaay back in the late '70's and early '80's a buddy of mine and I continually drew our scifi stories. Recently I came across a set of the drawings we had collaborated on and had an idea: What if some studio had actually picked up the ideas and ran with them as a feature movie? So I decided to do a concept drawing of my friend's bad guy race, the Rigellans. Rather than fully redesign the character, I wanted to try and tweak the original design and keep it recognizable as basically the same character. Still a little tweaking to do, but close enough to show. The first pic is a 34 year old drawing by my friend, the second is my redraw.

You may want to expand the window on the redraw as I have UL a large painting so you could see the detail (scales....I hate scales....)

Attachments

• p15100dp.jpg
    p15100dp.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 46
  • rigellan11x15.jpg
    rigellan11x15.jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 49

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Very nice. Everytime I see your work, I want to see a movie of it!.

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
Every time I see my work, I want to see it in a movie...It would mean I am making more money... ;)

Famous Dave

So here's the story: Waaaay back in the late '70's and early '80's a buddy of mine and I continually drew our scifi stories. Recently I came across a set of the drawings we had collaborated on and had an idea: What if some studio had actually picked up the ideas and ran with them as a feature movie? So I decided to do a concept drawing of my friend's bad guy race, the Rigellans. Rather than fully redesign the character, I wanted to try and tweak the original design and keep it recognizable as basically the same character. Still a little tweaking to do, but close enough to show. The first pic is a 34 year old drawing by my friend, the second is my redraw.

You may want to expand the window on the redraw as I have UL a large painting so you could see the detail (scales....I hate scales....)
Are you planning to work the idea(s) into models? Just curious. I think resurrecting your ideas and even expanding on them is a refreshing way to wake up creative juices.
Before I found this fabulous hobby, I was a modeller of many mediums, but mostly loved science fiction. I spent the better part of 30 years in the gamimg hobby, cuting up miniatures to make new ones based on some artwork I would come across. I loved resurrecting an abandoned project, and deciding to go in a different direction and getting excitied all over again. This hobby affects me in the same way. Thanks for providing the inspiration and entertainment that I have enjoyed.

Dave

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Woow! That's looking really really good! :)

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
I got some trolling online when I posted pics, but when you're basing it on one drawing and the best side view you have is the small 3/4 view in the background....

Anyway, my buddy liked it and approved of the model.