R2-D2 from Metal Earth... a card model made by steel!

Tonino

I've found this surprising model series surfing to this site. They are little things made by photoetched (or laser-cut I don't know) steel plates with a lot of very little parts to fold and join with microscopic tabs. The tecnique is very similar to the one used in card model for the general structure of the models but very different in the way you have to manage the parts. You don't use knife, scissors and glue but only little pliers and a lot of patience (but that is a common good between modelers, isn't it?).

So I want to try with this litte R2-D2 to see how it works...

DSC06018.JPG
The little envelope who contains all you need to build your metallic robot

DSC06012.JPG
Inside there are two plates with all the parts and one sheet of assembly instructions

For my first model perhaps I didn't choose the easiest subject with all those curved surfaces. To obtain the spheric head I had to push with a metal bead from inside placing the part on a soft surface. Even so the shape is not perfect and the head seems more an halloween pumpkin than the head of R2-D2
DSC06013.JPG DSC06014.JPG DSC06016.JPG

A little easier is the body. The little vents add a nice touch to the model. The only disappoint is that many of the tabs remain visible on the outside.
DSC06020.JPG DSC06023.JPG

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
i have seen these at my LHS but havent gotten the nerve to try them yet
looks nice so far

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's very interesting. I have never seen such a kit before. I really believe that the flaps will add to the charme of the finished model, mainly because of their tiny size and the fact that they are made of the same metallic material like the rest of the body. Are the parts photo-etched? How tall will R2 be?

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is REALLY COOL!!!thumbsup
I have only one problem with the site. There are WAY TOO MANY things that I want to get!!! :mad:

Tonino

@Revell-Fan: the parts are laser cut, very neat and TINY!!! The finished model will be 3 inches tall.
After a little thinking I agree with you about the visible tabs. Sometimes it's better to be able to know we are watching a builded model, an object with some workmanship in it... Same consideration for card models, if you can feel that is actually a model made by paper... you can notice some paper edge, a little gap... it's better, it's more attractive.

@Rhaven Blaack: I had EXACTLY the same problem! I downloaded their catalogue... very dangerous... don't open! :eek:

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Lead us not into temptation.....

AAARRRGG!! I looked a the catalogue!

oh, look, their background has a lens flare....

Damn you, JJ Abrams!

Tonino

One of the good things is that parts, once folded, remains exactly as you let them. This is nice especially when you have to create little tubes like this, one of the most challenging actions in card models.
DSC06028.JPG

The fitting is great so even complex folding (like this of the foot part) is not a big problem (if you have little fingers... which is NOT my case...!) :mad:
DSC06029.JPG

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is coming together nicely.!
If I may ask, what kind of glue do you use for this, or does it come with its own glue?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You could also refer to it as "stand" , but .... no, "central foot" is pretty much OK! :D

Tonino

@Rhaven Blaack: the nice part is that no glue is needed. All the parts are kept together by little tabs.

tabs.jpg

The folds are stable as the metal keep the shape without returning back and the little tabs do the rest...

Tonino

DONE! It was really a pleasure! It has been nice, for one time, not having to deal with blades and glue... only pliers and my big fingers. The final result is pretty satisfying and, considering it took a very little amount of time, the experience can be repeated...
I thing I will try some other subject from this series...

DSC06039.JPG DSC06040.JPG DSC06041.JPG DSC06042.JPG DSC06043.JPG DSC06050.JPG