Question of the day, 11-14, structures

ezdays

Out AZ way
Today's question probably has a mixture of answers:

Structures, what's your pleasure, kits as per plan, kitbashing, scratchbuilt or already assembled? Which do you do more of, which do you like to do best?

If you do more than one of these, say so.

Will_annand

So far it has been mostly the first 2. I have built 5-6 kits as per the plans. The string of DPM kits on my Downtown Orangeville module were bashed. Oh and the outhouse on the Cabin module was scratchbuilt.

As to already assembled, unless you count the structures I recieved from Robin (Matthyro), I tend to stay away from them. Building is half the fun.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I like to build them as the directions and kitbash the most and sometimes scratch building comes in handy too.:thumb: :thumb: :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
I have done all of these things. I did buy one Walther's tower and shack that was pre-built (a confession of sorts :rolleyes:, I had a touch of laziness that day and the price was right :eek:ops: ), most of my structures are basically out-of-the-box kits, with some modification, painting and weathering. I've got some kit bashed structures and one or two scratchbuilts. I will be doing more scratchbuilding in the future, but I've got a shelf full of kits to work on as well.:D

kitsune

I used to build only kits, like most people when they were n00bs. Later I started kitbashing. Then, as my track designs became more and more precise to specific locations (or types of locations) I began needing more and more custom buildings. Nowadays I use whatever I can find that fits my needs, so sometimes I'll kitbash -- especially with Pikestuff walls and such -- and sometimes I'll scratchbuild, as I jsut did with an abandoned interurban substation made from basswood.

Jim Krause

I use kits but can't help looking at them with a kitbashing eye. My current project is a Campbell Scale Models enginehouse. I keep telling myself that there was too much cheap lumber here in MT to waste money on sheet iron siding, Maybe it will end up with with some 1X12 rough siding and some sheet metal patches here and there.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Most of my stuff is scratchbuilt to accomodate odd spaces or designed to be big enough to serve as a view block for hidden track. Also I'm a bit on the furgal side and tend to use inexpensive materials.
Ralph

C

Catt

All of the above,but nothing goes anyways near my layouts with out some kind of mods (even if only paint) done to it.

Pooh Bah
Most of mine are kits, and cardboard kits at that.
I have a couple of RTR buildings and a scratchbuilt scene that I've been working on for maybe 6 or 8 years. I have one building that was so chintzy that I fixed up the walls with Tudor half-timbering.
Mostly, I build them as they come.

I have done all but the already assembled. I'm about 60% out of the box and the rest are 1/2 kitbashed and 1/2 scratchbuilt. All of my kits receive additional details and weathering.

doctorwayne

I don't mind building a kit using the instructions if the finished product meets my needs, although painting is always required. Offhand, though, about the only structures on my layout that have been built that way are several Atlas stations. They're a perfect size for my space, and I like the style of them, too. After that, kitbashing and scratchbuilding are about equal favourites, with more of the kitbashed buildings being "brick", and the scratchbuilt ones "wood", "metal", or "concrete". And I prefer working with styrene more than anything else. Oh, and even my "scratchbuilt" buildings use commercially available windows, so perhaps they should be more correctly called "partsbuilt".:D

Wayne

Bill Pontin

In the beginning I built them all as kits. Later, I had to modify several to cut down their footpirnt, I saw how easy it was to bash a kit and I've not been the same since. Now if I see an interesting kit, I look at it and say to myself, "what can I make with this"? Lately however, I am leaning more and more to scratchbuilding to a prototype.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I build most kits as per the instructions. However, I almost always paint them a different color and make small modifcations. I even repaint the built-up structures I have. I can't stand the gleam of the colored plastic.

I have done some minor kitbashing but I would say it is less than 25% of the modeling.