Question for Zathros

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
I was watching a documentary on the Sikorsky S-72 X-wing. If I recall our conversations correctly, I think you told me you worked for Sikorsky. Did you ever work on this project?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, I know that second plane (AW 204)! That and the SR-71 were the coolest planes of my childhood. They look even cooler today. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The second pic I posted was an artist's rendition of the AW 204, which was a helicopter, which stopped the rotors when at top speed, then continued with the rotors stopped in the "X" configuration. It was anticipated to reach subsonic in the "X" wing configuration. It uses the Coanda effect to create air foils out of compressed air from the leading and trailing edges of the rotor, out of slits running the full length of the blades. The project was stopped because of lack of funding, not technological feasibility. :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Hey, I know that second plane (AW 204)! That and the SR-71 were the coolest planes of my childhood. They look even cooler today. :)
To paraphrase Lockheed, circa 1978, 'The SR-71 project was so far ahead of it's time in 1966, that the first aircraft off the assembly line was given the serial number "2001" '
NASA could today tack one of the SR-71C airframes up and run a world record beating flight. 54 years in later, and still nothing flying that can beat it, "officially".

The X wing helos were ahead of thier time, but will one day fly again.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The second pic I posted was an artist's rendition of the AW 204, which was a helicopter, which stopped the rotors when at top speed, then continued with the rotors stopped in the "X" configuration. It was anticipated to reach subsonic in the "X" wing configuration. It uses the Coanda effect to create air foils out of compressed air from the leading and trailing edges of the rotor, out of slits running the full length of the blades. The project was stopped because of lack of funding, not technological feasibility. :)
I thought so. I don't know where I have seen this rendition for the first time, it may have been a picture book or a quartet card game. All I remember was that I was pretty little, maybe three or four years old. That was even before I fell in love with "Battlestar". I drooled over this picture. Just thinking, didn't they use the concept in "The 6th Day"?

1609872012445.png

There is even a paper model of it available:

:)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
To paraphrase Lockheed, circa 1978, 'The SR-71 project was so far ahead of it's time in 1966, that the first aircraft off the assembly line was given the serial number "2001" '
NASA could today tack one of the SR-71C airframes up and run a world record beating flight. 54 years in later, and still nothing flying that can beat it, "officially".

The X wing helos were ahead of their time, but will one day fly again.

Actually, the only thing that killed the "X-Wing" project was funding. They work, their feasibility is not a issue. Yes, with today's technology (which was1983 Sikorsky's technology, as they were the largest manufacturer of composite products in the world in then, we made stuff for everybody, and nobody knew it was Sikorsky making them), they would be even higher performing an engines have become more powerful

Whether we really need such an aircraft is the issue. Two bladed stop in air rotary wing aircraft proved to be a failure. Balance issues.

The Whispercraft would have vibrated so badly, it was a concept that went no further than a render, and some paper models. Neat idea though. When a material can be made that has a high modulus, but can yet flex (an oxymoron), then you will see dragonfly like aircraft buzzing around. :)