Printing from pdf's without specified paper weights

Jadriancz

So here is my big question.. I have noticed that alot of the designs that I have downloaded in pdf format do not specify the paper weight on which it should be built . I have even gone back to some of the sites I downloaded the files from and it isnt specified there either. How to determine which to use 20, 24, 65, 80, 100 or 110 lb paper for the build?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is not an easy question because it depends on what kind of parts are printed. The general rule of thumb is that you may print large parts on heavier paper and small parts on lighter paper. I say "may" because you won't break any law if you don't and there are many ways to strengthen a flimsy part (by laminations or using super glue). ;) Thin tube parts should not be printed on heavy paper because it would be a pain to roll them smoothly (water-shaping could be a solution but this is another topic). Large tube parts (like on the Saturn V kits) give stability in the long-term. In many cases it will suffice to print the pages on medium weight paper (120 - 210 gsm). Skeleton pieces could benefit from heavier paper though to make the build sturdier. I usually use 160 gsm paper which serves me very well, even on larger builds. If your printer is unable to handle heavier paper (my limit is somewhat about 250 - 300 gsm; I'm using an HP 6700 Officejet inkjet printer) you may print the parts on regular 80 gsm paper and glue it to the stronger paper / card. :)

Jadriancz

Thin tube parts should not be printed on heavy paper because it would be a pain to roll them smoothly (water-shaping could be a solution but this is another topic).

Yep learned this the hard way on the AT-ST I attempted to build..

If your printer is unable to handle heavier paper (my limit is somewhat about 250 - 300 gsm; I'm using an HP 6700 Officejet inkjet printer) you may print the parts on regular 80 gsm paper and glue it to the stronger paper / card.

You must be in europe due to your reference of gsm. Checking my paper it looks like the 65# = 176gsm which my Brother MFC-J4620DW will not handle.. Brother says it only handles up to 56# cardstock so I am alos investigating new printers that can handle hopefully up to 110#(390gsm) and I can add a CISS.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I basically use 110 lb. stock, 67 lb. stock, normal paper to cover a damaged panel, and 1mm card board for hull framing. :)

Jadriancz

I basically use 110 lb. stock, 67 lb. stock, normal paper to cover a damaged panel, and 1mm card board for hull framing. :)
I have yet to find a supplier of 1mm cardboard in my area. Everywhere I have looked they all have corrugated cardboard.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Go to a picture framing place. The poster board the use is approx. 1 mm and some will either give you a bundle of good sized scraps they can't use, or charge you a very small amount. Bring a model to sow them what you use it for. I got 10 lbs. of the 1 mm stock, one piece was 2 feet by 2 feet square! Most were smaller, but not by much. I have all I'll ever need, and this stuff is archival quality. Best part, I paid noting for it. I brought my 32" upscaled model of "Lilla Weneda" with me, the manager was so impressed, he just gave me a huge pile. I really stressed it was for personal use. ;)