Print & Paint: Spiderman Bust 1.04

Sudsy

So, here is my work in progress of Spiderman Bust 1.04 by BerlinRockz off of Thingiverse.

I printed the model on my Lulzbot Taz 5 at a resolution of 0.1mm (height of each layer) using PLA (Filacube PLA2). I did scale down the bust by about 50%.

I primed the model with Krylon flat tan camo paint and proceeded to use my acrylic paints (Delta Ceramcoat). Base of Opaque red on the majority of the bust, with Burnt Umber on the base and Ivory on the eyes. To get a shadow I desaturated my red with Dark Forest Green and the glazed over the top with the opaque red (it is not too opaque to use as a glaze). So far I'm pleased with results and am now powering through the webbing. I use this as a break from my 28mm miniatures, and from building this weekend. For whatever reason, it's been a good paint weekend!

20190810_172837.jpg20190810_172833.jpg20190810_172828.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
3D printers are still well outside of my affordability range, but what you can do with them is amazing...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
When I worked with 3d printers, they were still top secret, that was back in 1982. They aren't difficult to make, and with the GNU software available, programming them isn't difficult either. Money is tough (for me anyways0 to justify building one of these, but there are tons of DIy websites, and you end up with a machine that is vastly superior to the same amount of money you would spend as a ready made one. I do have a small machine shop, so maybe it's not as easy as I say, but it isn't hard. If you're someplace where there are none, you could find yourself making some good money.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Very nice work. Great finish from the printing. Did you have to finish (sand/file) up any lines from the printing, or did it come out smooth? :)

Last edited:

Sudsy

Very nice work. Great finish from the prointing. Did you have to finish (sand/file) up any lines from the printing, or did it come out smooth? :)

Mostly came out smooth. At the base there was some 'flash' that had to remove to prevent cuts (well, you know how it goes, you sometimes have to file the edges of anything to break sharp corners).

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Looks GREAT...far better print than the last...I update my guess as just to the model on the last one...as Ole Zombie might just be lower rez, as this is more as I would expect a print to be like!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Flashing is common doing these kind of prints. It's the layer lines that really matter, especially if making gears. ;)