Picky People

MT Hopper

MT Hopper
If an item is advertised as being "O" scale AND it comes out of North America (say Baltimore Maryland), then it would be reasonable to accept it as "O" scale, 1/4" = 1 foot, 1/48 proportion. This is NOT TRUE. I am a newbie to North American "O" scale. I bought a pack of Life Like "O" scale figures only to subsequently discover they are in fact British/European "O" scale, 1/43.5 proportion! Of course having opened the package I cannot return the item. I am out $18.99 CDN for 7 figures I cannot use! A pricey error. You will understand that having been "once bitten" I am now "twice shy".
Does anyone know of Manufacturers who produce North American "O" scale 1/48, 1/4"=1foot scale figures? I believe the Arttista figures ARE 1/48 proportion. I am reluctant to throw good money after bad.
What's the difference you may say. Well if You build a loco cab or a structure to North American 1/4"scale a British 1/43.5 scale figure tends to have its chin about level with the top of the door frame! If you put a British 1/43.5 figure besides a 1/48 scale vehicle it appears as if You have discovered basketballs ultimate dream team.
So ANYONE OUT THERE, are there any manufacturers of genuine North American "O" scale 1/48 1/4" = 1 foot figures besides Arttista?
Thanks
From the Heart of the Continent
Will

P.S. Anyone want to buy a Harlem Globetrotters advanced modellers kit?

pgandw

Unrealistically sized figures (and automobiles) are a problem in all scales (at least it is in F, G, S, and HO, as well as O). Since many figures were originally aimed at the toy market, scale fidelity was not a priority when the molds were cut. In fact, being a little over-size was generally considered a good thing. The situation actually gets worse when you look for figures for older eras.

I know, doesn't solve your problem. But it might help you understand the situation, and check or ask how tall a figure actually is before you buy. I know I have learned that lesson the hard way.

my thoughts, your choices
Fred W

Bones

Try to get some information on which manufacturers produce which scales. (I know, you're trying to do that right now.)
Once you know who makes what, you will be more aware of what to avoid.

As for scale fidelity... take a look at N scale figure comparisons if you get a chance. If you take the extreme ends of the market, but remain within 1:160 scale (no japanese 1:150), you end up with up to a 3/16" difference in height. These are roughly 3/8-7/16" tall figures, so it is a HUGE discrepancy!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
O scale was originally 7mm = 1 foot. American "O" is 1/4" = 1 foot.
7mm = 13.5 inches in American "O" scale a six foot tall American "O" figure would be 5'-3" tall in 7mm/ft. A six foot tall figure in 7mm/ft scale would stand 6'-9" in American O scale.
Life Like cannot be taken as the "standard" for scale, and even most HO scale figures excede six feet in height.
welcome to the "land of the giants".

Pooh Bah
Just for fun, one of the British modellers was using HO figures in OO passenger cars because the thickness of the materials cut into the available space.

MT Hopper

MT Hopper
Oh Boy

Thanks folks for the help.
It is a bit discouraging. If only Bachman hadn't produced that lousy (sour grapes lousy)but affordable to a regular human SR&RL Forney I would still be safely isolated in my 1:87.1 world.
Perhaps I should say Thanks Chaps. Pragmatically and prima faciae I should invest in a British 1:43.5 scale (available from the Scale Card) rule toss my Yankee 1:48 rule and carry on. The 1:43.5 scale figures are very nicely detailed. 1:43 scale vehicles also seem to be in decent supply.
Trying to find any reasonably priced 1:48 scale vehicles is nightmarish. I have learned FAR MORE about diecast vehicles, collecting them and the collectors organizations than I ever really wanted to know about.I have tried and soon was in websites up to my ears and trying to remember who had 1:48 1920's vehicles and who had what.
I suppose part of the problem was in my early years I would get ribbed by the "O" scalers who made it seem as if their scale had all the good stuff compared to my toy HO stuff. Having finally arrived in the land of "O" scale with pre raised expectations ,I find it is actually akin to the Wizard of Oz. Big up front but not much in back.
Oh well, tally ho chaps I'm off to early tea.

Discouragedly from the Heart of the Continent
Will

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
If only Bachman hadn't produced that lousy (sour grapes lousy)but affordable to a regular human SR&RL Forney I would still be safely isolated in my 1:87.1 world.

sign1, For me, it was the "T"boiler shay, and then the conversion of the Bachmann mogul to a 30" gauge "mike".
Do the term "fish" sound familiar? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hooked! :eek:

MT Hopper

MT Hopper
Hi sumpter. I also have the shay. A long time ago MR had an article about `baby`shays (24`gauge`) and that diverted my attention from Forneys enough to investigate them. I know the gauge I am using is 30`as opposed to the 24`gauge that got me hooked, but cost and time prevail and 30`is `close enough for Government work).

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

MT Hopper

MT Hopper
Good news. I have now found another extremely limited range source of 1:48 scale people. I shall continue to go where many many people have gone before. My "yankee" stubborness will not let me surrender to 1:43. When I feel I have collected all "reaonable" sources of 1:48 scale figures I shall post the results. By reasonable I mean less than $5.00 CDN each, more than 2 figures in the range, AND (caveat) convertible. Convertible means plastic preferred but metal acceptable for conversion to another era or pose.
WILL
P.S. I think I have seen more plastic and metal Wehrmacht Heere Truppen then there were in the real WWII!

MT Hopper

MT Hopper
Thanks Randy May. I hope to be in receipt of my first Arttista figures next week.
MT Hopper

Lighthorseman

Hey, MT - those 1:43 people work well with Lionel, as it is (at least, the older stuff) ludicrously oversized. You're quite right though...the 1:43 people just don't jibe with 1:48. I've had size run-ins too. Mostly, I cut them off at the knees or shins, depending on size requirements, and position them so the hack job cannot be seen. As an example, 1:43 people are great candidates for amputation to fit into vehicles. Interestingly enough, I've found that 1:43 people are even too big for 1:43 vehicles (die-cast types).

Good luck to you, and ENJOY your foray into On30! You'll never look back. Ask anyone.

Randy May

stubby people

Lighthorseman,
you make me laugh thinking about it,,,,,,,,,,,I've got a couple of passenger coaches full of woodland scenics amputees!sign1sign1
I like woodland scenics people, how they look,and I've gotten used to there oversizednessed, its one of those areas where I live with whats available:rolleyes:,affordable,:eek:ops:,,,,,,:wave: Randy May

kennyrach

If an item is advertised as being "O" scale AND it comes out of North America (say Baltimore Maryland), then it would be reasonable to accept it as "O" scale, 1/4" = 1 foot, 1/48 proportion. This is NOT TRUE. I am a newbie to North American "O" scale. I bought a pack of Life Like "O" scale figures only to subsequently discover they are in fact British/European "O" scale, 1/43.5 proportion! Of course having opened the package I cannot return the item. I am out $18.99 CDN for 7 figures I cannot use! A pricey error. You will understand that having been "once bitten" I am now "twice shy".
Does anyone know of Manufacturers who produce North American "O" scale 1/48, 1/4"=1foot scale figures? I believe the Arttista figures ARE 1/48 proportion. I am reluctant to throw good money after bad.
What's the difference you may say. Well if You build a loco cab or a structure to North American 1/4"scale a British 1/43.5 scale figure tends to have its chin about level with the top of the door frame! If you put a British 1/43.5 figure besides a 1/48 scale vehicle it appears as if You have discovered basketballs ultimate dream team.
So ANYONE OUT THERE, are there any manufacturers of genuine North American "O" scale 1/48 1/4" = 1 foot figures besides Arttista?
Thanks
From the Heart of the Continent
Will

P.S. Anyone want to buy a Harlem Globetrotters advanced modellers kit?
OK go here they sell both 1-43 or 1-48

anubis51

Little Loco
I Agree!

As to the figures that all purport to be "O Scale", I have always had a problem with them...........There is such a wide variation in physical dimensions across the range!

Preiser stuff is exquisitely detailed, but every one is about seven scale feet tall, and the stuff is VERY expensive!

Conversely, Woodlands Scenics and Model Power figures mostly seem to be on the short and stout side.

I reckon the best ones for our scale are the metal ones from The Model Company. (No web address, but you can see the range at their agents, www.barcourt.com/trains.htm) True, they are 1:43 as well, but they are well detailed, paint up well, usually fit inside the cab of a Porter or a Shay, and as long as you don't stand them next to a Preiser counterpart, they suit me just fine. They are also reasonably priced - even by international air mail. :thumb:

:)