Paragon's Type 9 Shuttlecraft

Millenniumfalsehood

Well, while I can't really work on the Gunstar at the moment because I can't take build photos (and who wants a build thread without build photos, right?), I did want to build something. So I was reading Ex Astris Scientia and checking out the Voyager inconsistencies, and all of the sudden it occurred to me that I loved the shape of the Type 9 shuttlecraft from that show. And I knew I had seen a paper model kit of it somewhere. So I looked for the model and, of course, it was one of the models that Paragon designed.

Let me say something: I have a love-hate relationship with Paragon's models. I am always impressed with how the look when they're finished; they always turn out so beautifully. But getting there always seems to be a struggle. There are few flaps, few instructions other than pictures of the kit (for the most part)... But it's always worth it in the end. And I think that this model kit is proof of that.

This is also a first for me: the entire model is edge-glued. Before now all the models were all or mostly glued together with flaps. But I decided to try edge-gluing the entire thing this time. I wasn't sure how strong edge-gluing was on large joints, like fuselage joints. But after I glued the upper fuselage parts of the shuttle and observed how strong the joint was when it dried fully, I was sold. This is a superior method for making compound curved joints. I also painted a couple of the parts, like the magnetic coils behind the bussard collectors. The parts in the kit have black lines around them, and I worked to get rid of all the black lines in the kit by trimming them off. There was no way around these, though. So I built them from blank card and painted them yellow.

Hope you like it!

CU4prFe.jpg

XBIXExV.jpg

F3WEcs4.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This looks awesome! :)

I tend to incorporate edge-glueing into my designs more often since the test-build of the Triangle ship and try to add ways to make curved pieces look smoother.

As for the love-hate relations, I fully agree. :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Now that looks nice! thumbsup

Nice clean construction. Well done!

I always liked the Voyager series, and I downloaded and printed out Christine's Voyager a long while back.
I will get around to tackling it one day.. :)

mcusanelli

Wow, that looks fantastic! I built this one too a while back, and it was a bit tricky, but the finished model is worth the work.

Tonino

Very clean and neat! Great work! Many compliments! :)
And it has to be very little too, isn't it? How long is the whole thing?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That is oneof the nicest shuttles/spacecraft, I have seen in a long time. the way you raised the surfaces, the attention to detail, this is a fantastic model!!

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Great work Milleniumfaslsehood!

@DanBKing ; I've built the Voyager that you mentioned, and there is a build thread... :) (Boldly going...) by yours truly!

It's a really enjoyable, detailed model. Maybe this will motivate you ;) :blueface:

Sadly she is still in need of repair, but getting there....

DanBKing

Dan the Man
@Cybergrinder Patience, my friend.;)

My pile of 2001 ASO models take priority, at the moment.......... :)
But, if my build speed on these, is anything like the Discovery, I dont think I have enough years left to accomplish that..... But, I'll die trying ...... :)

And, you should be PUNished for your PUNS ......... ;)

7883be61e3cc4617c6b0edeb7c6a9330.jpg

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Would you like a PUNado for that? It was rather punful, I confess.

As Shakespeare once said, "To pun or not to pun, that is the groaner" (He changed it afterwards....) :)

Going off your picture I think I will milk this for all it's worth. Don't try to butter me up now. I'll carton if there are any comments after that one, I really think it was the cream of the crop.

Harvest on, I must update my dairy, I will not be cowed! I am feeling particularly bullish....

I do try to pun wheatly, with a great amount of "Corn" :). I think I've threshed this thread...

Millenniumfalsehood

Very clean and neat! Great work! Many compliments! :)
And it has to be very little too, isn't it? How long is the whole thing?

It's roughly 8 inches long when completed. :) I did some extra work to get it to look this good like replacing the entire side walls of the impulse engines with solid strips of paper, but this model is an excellent base to start from.

Oh, and something else I forgot to mention: there are several areas that were made by laying and then sanding down the edges. One of them is the pair of side panels that go on the sides of the fuselage (the areas that say "USS Voyager 74656). It's two sheets thick, and after the glue dried I took a sanding stick and gently sanded the edges until they were razor thin, except for the leading edge. Then I carefully glued them in place, minding the positioning. Another area where sanding came in handy was the nose. I glued a piece of gray card from one of the excess pieces to the nose and waited for it to dry, then I trimmed it with an exacto blade and finally gave it a gentle sanding on the edges to make it flush with the hull. It turned out beautifully!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
As Shakespeare once said, "To pun or not to pun, that is the groaner" (He changed it afterwards....) :)

He who would make a pun would pick a pocket! :mooner:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
MilFal, the way you bang these models out, and they always look so good. It's a gift I say! ;)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Great finished product.

Would love to see a build thread from you on another of the shuttles, using some of the techniques you described...