Orlik PBJ-1H Mitchell

Elliott

I think you called it Mike. This has been an epic in every way. There's always a bit of a letdown as the pace slows and focus shifts to......what? I think you told us somewhere, just have to go back and find it. Oh darn, means looking through the thread again. :p

Bomarc

Actually Elliot, I never said what the next push will be, mainly because I'm not sure myself. I have a few things in the works, one for a friend included, but coming on the tail end of this build, you can be sure of one thing, it won't be a monumental project. I'm good for one of these once a year (or more). ;)

These last “tidbits” of this current build are really time consuming, but I supposed it’s the path I laid for myself, can't drop the ball now. Work continued on the doors last night. I actually used the kit parts for the hinges, just not quite as advertised:

IMG_7187.jpg

Still, they look pretty good. Scratched the part that will attach to the inside of the wheel well and painted them up:

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7189.jpg

Tonight was the linkage. Only one pic as I was too in the “zone” with these tiny parts:

IMG_7192.jpg

It’s a double jointed affair that hinges off the “A” frame member that attaches to the main strut (it’ll be more clear when it’s all attached). Also started the brake lines of the main struts. I finally made a run today to my local Radio Shack to get some thicker solder, which was what was holding me up on this bit:

IMG_7193.jpg

The stuff I used on the engines and elsewhere was 0.015” and was too thin. The above is 0.032” and is rosin-core. That’s what you want because the stuff is essentially a tube filled with the rosin, which you can ream out with a drill and attach with CA glue to a wire:

IMG_7194.jpg

Once you attach a wire, you can stack little tubes on it to simulate the fitting, like this:

IMG_7195.jpg

And I’ll drag out this old chestnut for comparision:

mitche39.jpg

The hope is to get the entire landing gear installed this weekend, then a mop up operation with all the other little things, and then final pictures….

Mike

Elliott

I declare - "Patience, thy name is Bomarc!"

How difficult is it to ream out the rosin core? Looks like it would be hard to start. Once installed the brake line on the wheel looks perfect! :thumb::thumb:

ennder

Bomarc, you are truly a master :inw:
I just read through this thread and
learned a ton. Thank You Sir.

Bomarc

How difficult is it to ream out the rosin core? Looks like it would be hard to start.

Not difficult at all. You can slice this stuff with a hobby knife, and it leaves a flat end behind. Then you can see the ring of rosin in the middle (like cutting a tree). That's where to jab the drill to get started.

Heading for the home stretch, the light is blinding on this end of the tunnel! Finished fabricating all the LG parts. Before and after touch-up painting:

IMG_7197.jpg

IMG_7199.jpg

The brake lines are to the left. They got progressively shorter as the day wore on. The point of no return was upon me, time to stick it all together. I used JB Weld again, this the quick set stuff (hardens in about 10 minutes):

IMG_7201.jpg

Note the length of the brake lines now. Helps to have the wheels in place to check alignment:

IMG_7200.jpg

Go to go:

IMG_7203.jpg

Next, the doors. I think the need for the double jointed connection is apparent, pretty complicated:

IMG_7204.jpg

IMG_7206.jpg

IMG_7208.jpg

Nose strut, you can just see the epoxy “seat”:

IMG_7209.jpg

IMG_7210.jpg

With the epoxy hard and everything stiff, it was time to take away the cutting mat for a flat surface to set the wheels for good:

IMG_7212.jpg

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7219.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

I think I have but one update left in me……

Mike

Bomarc

As I feared, this will be my last construction update for this build (spontaneous roar from the peanut gallery). Just had few last tidbits last night and this morning. Last night was the bomb bay doors. Added the hinges again using the kits parts but modified:

IMG_7225.jpg

This isn’t exactly how the hinges are in reality, but it works for the model. All hooked up:

IMG_7226.jpg

IMG_7227.jpg

I discovered I had reversed the direction of the little crank that opens the doors way back when I put it in, so now the arms are in the wrong configuration. Oh well! Wasn’t the first screw-up on this model, but it may well be the last (for this model anyway). Next was the rear hatch/ladder. Totally discarded the Orlik parts and made my own. Thin solder makes good ribbing:

IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7229.jpg

Installed (with the real deal inverted for comparison).

IMG_7230.jpg

RearHatch.jpg

This morning was the radio antenna. I have this stuff:

IMG_7231.jpg

I don’t know why. I think I bought it at an IPMS convention years ago. I believe this the “in” thing for biplane rigging back in the day. Maybe it will work for antenna wire. Totally on the fly, I tied and CA glued two strands to a piece of music wire, using the kit parts as a guide:

IMG_7232.jpg

Sunk that and another wire into a block of wood, spaced appropriately apart, and tied off the other end:

IMG_7233.jpg

Wrapped the paper parts around, and superglued the heck out of it:

IMG_7234.jpg

Well, I would have laid even money that wouldn’t have worked. Might have to remember that for next time.

Some last little things. The pitot tube:

IMG_7235.jpg

I also had some last bits to add to the engines that I never got around to. Remember these two?

IMG_7236.jpg

Added the propeller governors on top of the crankcases (hard to see, they’re black). Also added a manufacturers data plate to the side of each crankcase for that extra touch.

Last was the little venturi thing that’s on the side of the nose. The real deal, lower right:

NAAB-25Skyline.jpg

It sucks the smoke out of the nose compartment when the guns/cannon are fired. I carved it out of two chunks of superglued mat board:

IMG_7237.jpg

While the paint was drying on that, I added a little handle that I forgot last night on the ladder:

IMG_7238.jpg

Then added the venturi:

IMG_7241.jpg

All that’s left is the attachment of the engines/propeller, and I’m essentially done. There’s one tube like thing that sits on top of the gun nose that seems unique to the Marine PBJ’s, but I don’t have any good details on it (Orlik just has a tube). It looks like it has wires coming out of it, maybe some kind of sighting device? I can add it on later when I know more. Frankly, it kind of ruins the lines of the airplane, if “8-Ball” lost hers in a taxi accident of some sort, well…...

Next post(s) from me should be some glamour shots, hopefully tonight.

Stick around, the best part is just around the corner……….

Mike

Bomarc

Victory Roll

Without any further ado:

I present the North American PBJ-1H Mitchell in 1/33rd scale. Kit by Orlik, "enhancements" by me. Enjoy:

IMG_7271.jpg

IMG_7272.jpg

IMG_7273.jpg

IMG_7277.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

IMG_7281.jpg

IMG_7282.jpg

IMG_7284.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg

IMG_7287.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7290.jpg

IMG_7292.jpg

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7294.jpg

IMG_7296.jpg

IMG_7297.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

IMG_7299.jpg

IMG_7300.jpg

IMG_7301.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

IMG_7303.jpg

IMG_7304.jpg

IMG_7305.jpg

IMG_7306.jpg

One behind the scenes shot:

IMG_7308.jpg

If there are any other views I missed, let me know, I'll try to take them. Final observations and comments later, I'm taking a break!
Mike

sjsquirrel

Inspirational to say the least.

Absolutely fantastic Mike! I've learned a great deal from this thread. Thank you.

I've got several commercial kits that I haven't built yet, and when they do get built they'll be better as a result of this build thread.

Thanks again,

Steve

Elliott

Couldn't say better than that Steve.

Congratulations Mike, my friend. Congratulations!

Standing ovation with sustained thunderous applause, cheers, whistles, handkerchiefs waving in the air, women fainting (gotta have that) and multiple cries of "Bravo!" and "Encore!"

:goldcup:

Padre

Well, looks like I will never build this one. If I did I would constantly compare it to this and probably throw it away.:curse:

Excellent build, amazing details, can't find any other words.............:thumb:

I will try this build and TRY to do a least as half as good.:rolleyes::cry:

-Jim G

Mike,
Thank you so much for making this thread. It has been very educational, and entertaiining to follow along. That is a beautiful model!

Bomarc

End Game

Thanks all for the good thoughts. Some last view I took before I collapsed my photo shoot set-up:

IMG_7310.jpg

IMG_7311.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

IMG_7314.jpg

IMG_7315.jpg

IMG_7316.jpg

IMG_7317.jpg

IMG_7318.jpg

IMG_7319.jpg

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7323.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

I guess that's it folks. I posted a final "parting shot" post over at Papermodelers. Rather than cut-n-paste, I'll just point you all there:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/119877-post1288.html

There's a cool video at the end too. Needless to say, the sentiment express there applies equally here: Thank you all, and I hope your next build is a spectacular one (I know it will be).

Mike

Elliott

Mike,

Thank you, and Peter Taft, for sharing such a landmark build with us. It has been my privilege to contribute, in whatever small way, to your magnificent Mitchell. Your ending remarks are appropriate and appreciated by all I'm sure and the video at the end - how fitting!

gregh

Enjoy we shall. Just SUPER SUPER SUPER. Now we know who the landing gear expert is :). Thnak You for the build thread, learned a lot, and the great pictures !!!!!!

peter taft

Well Mike, i really can't say how it makes me feel to see this beauty ROLLED OUT - i said quite a lot over on paper modellers, and my getting all emotional at things ending is still the same here. I was soooooo pleased you came over here to Zealot to share your marvel with the rest of this community. You have become a very good friend to me and lots of other guys i am sure. Look forward to being BOMARC'd again. :thumb: :wave:

E

ekuth

My gob is well and truly smacked.

I've been following this and just waiting until it was complete to say:

MODEL OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hmmm.... I need to make a Model of the Month. Year? Decade? This would fit any and all of the above.)

Master craftsmanship at its best; and a gift to all the members here.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Jim G

Mike,

Thanks again for allowing us all to watch your great build. I really like the closing words you posted at PM.

When I viewed the Youtube: Japanese Surrender I felt that I had to tell everyone of one of my acquaintances:

I ice skate with an old gentleman on Sunday mornings during the winter. He told me that he is the last surviving member of his B-29 aircrew (he was a gunner). He participated in the Japanese Surrender Ceremonies as part of the 1000 aircraft formation that overflew the Missouri.

Bomarc

What to say?

As is the usual term used by our friends in the UK, color me gobsmacked as well! Thank you Chris. I'm honored, and while I'm sure you were just musing, to be clear, let's keep it as POTW. I fear anything longer would quickly become an eyesore.

And thanks to all for the kind words. Much appreciated.

-Jim G, thanks for that outstanding story on the surrender fly by. I'd like to think "8-Ball" was part of that, as I'm sure every pilot in the hemisphere would want to be in on that historic day!

Mike

twinslet

Great idea on the diamond quilt. Perfect for the interiors of those Huey's and Blackhawk's. I used a similer kitchen utensil on thin modeling clay for helicopter interiors, but this would be thinner. Is it pretty manageable? BTW - enjoying the build alot. Thanks for the great pics.