On3 locomotive engine shops

Bill Nelson

got the stake pockets epoxied on. next to paint a quadrizillion NBW castings and drill more holes than I can count.

I'll paint the NBW castings black, and after they are installed, give them a dry brushing with the cars basic red color, treating the stake pockets the same way. later they will get a touch of rust.

I'm liking the red, I have two almost completed cars, both of them are green, like my HO state line cars, they may need a repaint

Attachments

• IMG_4839.JPG
    IMG_4839.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 3

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
got the stake pockets epoxied on. next to paint a quadrizillion NBW castings and drill more holes than I can count.

I'll paint the NBW castings black, and after they are installed, give them a dry brushing with the cars basic red color, treating the stake pockets the same way. later they will get a touch of rust.

I'm liking the red, I have two almost completed cars, both of them are green, like my HO state line cars, they may need a repaint
The red does seem to "pop" more. :) Are you going to paint the underside too?

micahrogers

Staff member
yea besides who is gonna look... Been there done that.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I used to scrape the rust dust off of old cars, and paint certain vehicles with the rust suspended in a satin finish paint, more like a past, but a bit thinner, it gave amazing results. These were plastic models, usually tanks and Jeeps, etc, I also used hot pings to simulate bullet holes. You get the idea. ;)

Doctor G

The ore car looks great. Everything fit together nicely. Neat stake pockets you scratched up there Bill. Like the red color of the car too. Doc Tom

Bill Nelson

I agree, I'm very pleased with the red, and have already painted my westside lbr co equipment flat built from a foothill models kit. Thinking the little shay might look good with some red where the gray is now.

IMG_4841.JPG

micahrogers

Staff member
I used to scrape the rust dust off of old cars, and paint certain vehicles with the rust suspended in a satin finish paint, more like a past, but a bit thinner, it gave amazing results. These were plastic models, usually tanks and Jeeps, etc, I also used hot pings to simulate bullet holes. You get the idea. ;)
many techniques I've used in the past, but none that I ever mastered...

Bill Nelson

started putting the ore doors in the second of six ore car frames.

IMG_4842.JPG

using leftover wood I cut and painted for my Russian river box car kit. the milled wood roof material seemed to uniform. so O used some of my home cut lumber, which gives a rough look. like a car that will need a roof replacement in a couple years

.IMG_4843.JPG

Last edited:

Doctor G

started putting the ore doors in the second of six ore car frames.

View attachment 178418

using leftover wood I cut and painted for my Russian river box car kit. the milled wood roof material seemed to uniform. so O used some of my home cut lumber, which gives a rough look. like a car that will need a roof replacement in a couple years.
The ore doors and the rough roof are nice touches. Nice job. Doc Tom

Bill Nelson

on spring break, been at the lake, and likely will go back this weekend, if the weather is good. made some progress on the boxcar roof, and the ore doors on the second ore car. I sanded the roof to smooth it out a little, the milled wood roof was too uniform, but sanding the edges to get them smooth by the leterboard was tricky

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4845.JPG

The ore doors on the second ore car are much nicer. on the first one I just used stripwood that was laying around. I may start ore doors on the other frames, or at least two of them, before proceeding perhaps the other five.not sure I'm ready to buy a bunch of On3 trucks right now anyway.

an old modeling friend from my youth in Ohio is upgrading the trucks on his Hon3 fleet, so I may be picking up some 25 pairs of Hon3 trucks. I have a lot of project cars needing trucks, but not that many . Hon3 trucks are hard to find right now, Blackstone is sold out, Grant line is transitioning to the new owners.
IMG_4846.JPG

the lesser ore doors on the first ore car.

he house search is a mess. the house we were trying to get an option on in Houston TX. has multiple offers, less than a week on the market.

if we would stay here, there is a house on Glenwood, (Dr. Tom's neighborhood), which the wife likes that has a really nice basement, with a bar, and room for a crew lunge with a TV. But for now the wife needs to be in Houston to care for her folks, and that is where she has a job, which could turn into a seasonal job. I'll be retirement age next fall, and the wife will be later next fall. how long we would need a Houston residence would depend on how long my inlaws last, how long the wife wants to work part time, or seasonally, and weather she wants to have a Houston residence as a winter home.

I guess I'll have to wait to do any future RR planning.

Bill Nelson

We have a 40’s bungalow in the Garden Oaks neighborhood in Houston. There is a 11x 18 workshop off the garage that has AC. Thinking of using half that space for the RR, with a long run along the walls of the garage on shelves.

Doctor G

We have a 40’s bungalow in the Garden Oaks neighborhood in Houston. There is a 11x 18 workshop off the garage that has AC. Thinking of using half that space for the RR, with a long run along the walls of the garage on shelves.
That is good news. Very good news indeed. Looking forward to pictures as you develop the railroad. I am thinking there are quite a lot of model railroaders in the Houston Texas area??? Should be fun.